Pretty cool Salmon Story

I apologize for the lack of reports lately, but I guess I have gotten a little lazy. Anyway, fishing out of the Port of Rochester has been pretty decent. Every morning you can grab a couple Salmon at the piers and then there are LT to go play with. Had a cool thing happen to us yesterday when we came back from the LT grounds to see if we could scrape up another Salmon or two.

We were heading North down the Summerville pier when the Church TX-22 takes off pulling a Lyman plug. We get it in and it's a nice sheepy. We toss it back, and the other Church TX-22 with the same Lyman on the other side starts ripping. While we are battling that fish I see our Cannon out and down start throbbing, so I release it and come up with nothing. We tie a 20" piece of 50lb Flouro to our j-plug harnesses so the plug can ride up it. I notice we lost about 4-5" of leader, the plug, and obviously the harness. We net that fish, and find ourself out in 40' of water easily 1/4 mile or more North of the pier heads. We get turned around, and gear re-set. On our South troll in 35' of water the Wire diver out 25' with a moonshine starts screaming! Great battle with lots of runs, and it finds the bottom of the net. As I'm unhooking it I see a set of #3 j-plug trebles in it's back. They were ours from the fish we lost on the out and down at the piers! We must have hit that fish in the back and he cracked us off. I know this was our hook harness because the hooks had 4-5" of 50lb fluoro on them, and a masking tape residue that s on all of them from being wrapped up since last Fall.

Pretty cool story I wanted to share with you guys.

What are the odds in such a massive body of water?!

Years ago I was fishing Braddocks and a pike broke off my j-11. Half hour later I am fishing in the same area and nearby I actually see my j-11 float to the surface, free of the fish. Still using it to this day.

Side note. You passed me heading out of the river yesterday morning. Want to say how much I appreciate guys like you and Sam on Dream Catcher for how you conduct yourselves out there. It can be so frustrating dealing with those who go ripping out of the river at 10-15 mph, leaving a wake, and then can't play nice around the pier heads. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Buy a lottery ticket Rick!..great story and welcome back! Missed yer reports man!..was hoping some previous unnecessary misdirected ire hadn't dampened your enthusiasm for your willingness to share your success and wonderful pics of fish P O R N !...LOL!😆

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Edited by skipper19

Cool story Rick.....the probabilities connected with that can't even be calculated :lol:  Another great example of one of the unexpected aspects of fishing that keeps us all in the game.

Did you buy a lottery ticket after that !?   As a kid (with bb gun of course) thought I shot a dove with those 177 darts, he flew away.  Shot another one 5 mins later and downed him, inspecting his breast found the dart !!  I digress to hunting, sorry.   I fish out of Bear Creek for spring browns, is that area worth it this time of year, or stick to the Genny area for the salmon ?   Some salmon have to migrate Bear, no (but not the numbers that the Genny has) ?   

Edited by gregmacedon