Krocodile Spoon Question

I have a few Krocodile spoons in a couple different sizes and have never caught anything with them even though I've heard they are good spoons. My question is are the supposed to spin? All my other spoons flutter but the Krocs just spin. Am I reeling them in too fast or something or are they supposed to spin and not flutter?

Sorry just realized I should have put this in the tackle section.

Edited by EyeSlayer

No they are supposed to flutter/wobble. If they are spinning then you are bringing them in too fast. I have caught numerous browns on them in the fall and spring casting off the shores at SUNY Oswego.

Ok that's what I was afraid of because it seems no matter how slow my retrieve speed is they still spin. Is it possibly because I'm using a bb swivel? The ones I have came with barrel swivels on the ring attached to the spoon and I took them off because I use a swivel on my line so figured it was overkill. Should I have left them on possibly?

I would definitely suggest you leave the original swivels on. Back in the day when the Fitzpatrick plant was spewing warm water into the lake at Nine Mile in oswego, we would wade the lake or climb up on the dike in front of the plant from November through March and chuck 1/2 ounce krocodiles. Those spoons accounted for more Browns and steelhead than you could imagine. Great lure if worked properly.

Then came 911 and everyone's life changed. What a shame-- that fishing will never be matched again!

The most effective way to fish that spoon imo is a jerk and retrieve motion. Many times the hits will occur as the lure is dropping which calls for a tight line at all times. A steady , constant retrieve has never worked for me

Ok thanks I'll give that a shot for sure. I always used a steady retrieve and never so much as had a hit with them.

Have you changed off the treble? They come with a larger treble.

No never messed with the treble hooks because on the 3/4oz I believe you cannot remove the hook without cutting the ring it's attached to. It's a solid ring and you cannot remove the hook but on the smaller sizes you can because they come with a split ring.

A " good" wobble would include a certain amount of spin. I would suggest a duo lock snap with a barrel swivel on the rod end. Connect to the lure with original terminal tackle left as is. Krocs have a good form for slow retrieval, and spinning isn't a detriment. They were meant to jig, jerk, or spin.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A Cleo is considerably thicker, and heavier, By size, requiring faster retrieve to make it wobble. It don't hurt to jerk them either when spinning. Cleo's are .060 thick. Pretty heavy metal for a spoon, but perfect for casting.

Spoons are pre destined to speed by their form. Most modern spoons have a cup form, and a re curve form. Combinations of this makes spoons different from one another. Specific markets determine manufacturing of one over another. Very few " box store" lures were designed with our needs in mind. Plenty were designed for salt water and adopted to fresh water.

• 2 weeks later...

For  a pier lure, the Kroc is my lure of choice. 10- 1  to cleo's. I cut the swivel off  if it comes w/ one & use a small ball bearing snap. If I don''t like the hook I cut the jump ring & replace w/ a splitring & L374 same size hook   I put it out on a planer or rigger  once in a while also on slow days.It should wobble & spin once in a while, like all spoons should.

I like a silver one. 1/4, 3/8. or 1/2 . I take some silver  lazer tape or use the crushed ice that comes  on  it . Take a  green sharpie & go up one side & blue one up the other side . My best.

Edited by Has Been

For a pier lure, the Kroc is my lure of choice. 10- 1 to cleo's. I cut the swivel off if it comes w/ one & use a small ball bearing snap. If I don''t like the hook I cut the jump ring & replace w/ a splitring & L374 same size hook I put it out on a planer or rigger once in a while also on slow days.It should wobble & spin once in a while, like all spoons should.

I like a silver one. 1/4, 3/8. or 1/2 . I take some silver lazer tape or use the crushed ice that comes on it . Take a green sharpie & go up one side & blue one up the other side . My best.

Green on one side and blue on the other now that sounds killer! Like you I cut the swivel off that comes with it because I use a BB snap swivel and having two swivels seemed like overkill to me and would possibly screw up the action. I've never replaced the hooks as of yet but might.

I don't get why they put solid welded rings on the larger sizes I know they are stronger but it's not like we're catching shark on them geez. You said you use 1/4-1/2oz but those come with split rings do they not?

Tim is right.... "slow" and "down" are the keys to it. if fishing from land. Sometimes when trolling it from a boat tying in a small ball bearing swivel about 2 1/2 to 3 feet above it and tying the line directly to the lure can give it a more natural appearance (action) too. The larger sizes can be good for jigging by adding some of the "V" shaped imitation pork rind pieces used on bass lures

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 months later...

I have used Krocodile spoons for years, and caught tons of trout and salmon on them.  I don't agree with whoever said they are not supposed to spin, as I have had my best luck with them when they do spin.  And yes, you should use a swivel with all spoons, because most of them are designed to flutter and roll or spin, and that will definitely twist your line badly!  I find that the burn and stop retrieve works well when casting, and I used to hammer the Kamloops rainbows from shore on Lake Superior with this technique.  I troll them fast for kings and steelhead, so they certainly are spinning and rolling @ 3 MPH.  Just my experience with them.  Thanks.

One of my all time favorite spoons was the Loco...anyone ever use them still?

I was at a sportsman show two years ago and they were selling them at one of the booths.  I bought everyone the guy had.  I ended up with about 36 of them.  All different sizes and colors.  The guy who introduced me to trout and salmon fishing eight years on Lake O had a small orange one.  We used that spoon in the spring for browns and Coho's. That spoon out fished every other spoon and stickbait that we had on our lines that day. My friend ended up losing it a couple years later on a snag.

• 3 weeks later...

i have used luhr jensen krocodiles for 25 years and are my favorite luhr for lakers browns salmon steelies and yes even bass. i use these on lake champlain on a regularly bases and do very well with them. will be bringing my krocs out to lake ontario this year. i have never had any problems with them and use them at slow speeds fast speeds and even twtiching also jigged with them through the ice. i tie my floro leader right to the ring on the kroc. my favorite colors for browns are rainbow lakers silver prism and steelies blue prism mostly  1/2 ounce sizes. they are a great wobbler and can cast them over weeds on a medium pace and the kroc will stay up in shallow water. these krocs are used moslty from shores and not trolling. never remember and spinning on me either just those tight wobbles

• 1 month later...

has anyone out there seen any 1/4 oz or 1/2 ounce krocs in the rainbow color with the flat finish (tan or an off white) on the bottom anywhere ? all im seeing now is the holographics krocs for sale now. i would like to buy some of those with the plain finish on them. would appreciate some info if you know where i can buy some.