Pen Rearing in Sodus

Rippin'Line

Always looking for more help with our pen-rearing project at Sodus Bay. Tom Frank owner of Capt. Jack's has done it the past few years, but is giving it up next year due to lack of support from those that make their living from the fishery. It is an on going battle every year to get helpers to commit to the project. L.O.C.B.A. has been supporting it for many, many years, along with local groups, Eagle scouts, and others. Our Pro-Am tournement  raises money each year to continue the project. We are always looking for more on hands support. I have not heard of any takers for this coming spring. But that is no suprise. I send out nasty-grams every early spring looking for support. Seeing that L.O.C.B.A. has joined forces with the Genesse Charter Boat Association recently, I'm not sure of what may happen in the future. John Arney at Arneys Marina has given us space for the project for several years at no charge. We have two pens, and receive 50 thousand fingerlings each April, 25,000 per pen.  Krenzer Marine has shown interest for next year,, but no final committment or approval. And just so you know, it all has to be approved by the D.E.C. as far as location, tempature, flow, and other factors. It is not an easy deal, believe me. That is why it is such a hassel every year.I hate to see this project fall by the wayside as our fishery at Sodus gets better every year, and I'm sure the pen-rearing project is a major factor. Let me know if you are interested and I'll point you in the right direction.Thanks. Dane

Always looking for more help with our pen-rearing project at Sodus Bay. Tom Frank owner of Capt. Jack's has done it the past few years, but is giving it up next year due to lack of support from those that make their living from the fishery. It is an on going battle every year to get helpers to commit to the project. L.O.C.B.A. has been supporting it for many, many years, along with local groups, Eagle scouts, and others. Our Pro-Am tournement raises money each year to continue the project. We are always looking for more on hands support. I have not heard of any takers for this coming spring. But that is no suprise. I send out nasty-grams every early spring looking for support. Seeing that L.O.C.B.A. has joined forces with the Genesse Charter Boat Association recently, I'm not sure of what may happen in the future. John Arney at Arneys Marina has given us space for the project for several years at no charge. We have two pens, and receive 50 thousand fingerlings each April, 25,000 per pen. Krenzer Marine has shown interest for next year,, but no final committment or approval. And just so you know, it all has to be approved by the D.E.C. as far as location, tempature, flow, and other factors. It is not an easy deal, believe me. That is why it is such a hassel every year.I hate to see this project fall by the wayside as our fishery at Sodus gets better every year, and I'm sure the pen-rearing project is a major factor. Let me know if you are interested and I'll point you in the right direction.Thanks. Dane

Sending you a PM

• 6 months later...

The Sodus Pen Rearing Project will kick off Saturday, April 25, 2015. A work party is being formed to get the pens ready for the salmon that will arrive on Monday, April 27, 2015. We have two pens that need to have the nets and covers attached to them before we can move them to the location for the fish. We will start at 9:30 AM on Saturday the 25th. and with enough help, we should be done in two hours max. The pens are located behind Hollingsworths equiptment building (way in the rear) on Margaretta Road, across from Krenzer's boat storage lot. Margaretta Road runs E/W from Rt 14, across from the public launch, north of Arney's Marina. The pens will then be moved to the water location for arrival of the salmon. Dress warm and bring a pair of side cutters with you to assist in attaching the nets to the pens. Thanks in advance for your help.