Spreader lights

Chas0218

So I now have a bimini for my boat.  It works great, but now I am wishing it was a hard top seeing as I can't mount any spreader lights easily.  This got me to thinking and I purchased a set of clamp on light holders to affix lights to the bimini poles. I was looking at different brand lights along with styles and beam angles, lumens, ect and have no idea what to get.

I would like to purchase a light that doesn't weigh a whole lot but still durable. I was looking at superbrightleds.com at their 10w  mini aux led light.  It comes in several different beam angles and I'm unsure which would work best as a dual purpose spreader, spotlight.

I was thinking 60* is an all around good beam but thought if I went with 30* I could use it to spotlight my boards and as a spreader.

Here is a link to the light.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/marine-lights/10w-mini-aux,-2-modular-led-off-road-work-light/1699/#/tab/Specifications

Thanks for the help,

Chas

Hey Chas,

I had a similar problem while tying spreader lights into my aluminum T top. I eventually decided that a bracket and good quality LEDs were my ticket.

I got the brakets from FishOnSports. http://www.fishonsports.com/100-13.html

and spreaders from Defender. I opted for the Scandvik brand and am happy with them. They are the flood beam, so wouldn't be good for longer distance spotting, but for lighting up the deck, AWESOME clean light. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|65136|2312576&id=1659507 

I looked around and did't find any photos of them on during pitch black and the photos that I have only show the deck/bow illuminated. From my recollection, you can see approx. 20' in the direction of the light. If you want even light over the deck, a wider beam (spreader) is your best bet, but if you want to be able to use it as a spot light, you may need a narrower beam.

When re-wiring my trailer, I added a set of relatively inexpensive LED "Flood" lights for reverse lights while backing in at night. I was quite impressed on how wide of a beam they casted. I think for seeing boards at night they would be a better option. They were from EBAY. These are wayyyy brighter than the Scandvik spreaders. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-27W-LED-Work-Light-Round-Flood-Beam-Off-road-Driving-Fog-Lamp-Truck-ATV-Boat-/111437049814?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item19f22a6fd6&vxp=mtr

I would recommend changing all the hardware over to Stainless and caulking in a bead of sillycone around the wire and lens, for increased durability.

• 2 weeks later...

I put these on my boat

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WWIV3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$11 each truck LED lights.  They have worked great so far and beat the spreader lights that my buddy spend 150 on.  My triple trees sit up further so I mounted them right to the trees.  Just got some shorter bolts, drilled a hole in the triple tree, and mounted them right there.  Replace the standard nut/lock washer with a locking nut.  You can set it to just the right tension where you can still tilt the lights in any direction you want.  

I bought a set of Warn winches clamp on style light mounts.  I found them at Cabelas on sale. I am planning on running the wire down thru my bimini poles. I'll let you guys know how it works out. I'm still waiting on the mounts.

Chase, my planer board masts stick above the Bimini top, and I was scratching my head also, so a buddy of mine is a welder and he said why don't you put a piece of 2" C- channel from planner mast to planer mast, so I bought a 8' peice of channel and he fabricated it, then my options were endless. I put 2 forward driving lights on 2 beam lights to see my boards and 1 flood light in the middle shinning on the back deck, I'm lit up like a Christmas tree. I used a trailer plug 4 prong to wire the lights and a fuse block midship, I ran 10 gauge to the fuse block and each light has its own fuse and when I want to remove the light bar I just unplug the trailer harness type plugs and store it in the cuddy, and 2 pin clips hold the whole works to the planner mast. I will take a pic. Maybe it will give you an idea? PAP Oh you can get an idea from my photo in the name area, I also put 3 pole holders on, a peice of stainless cut on a slight angle and welded, looks like a professional did it LOL.

Edited by pap

You can buy the same thing from glp. With 2 lights in back I can see my boards or inlines and see to run lines. Did you go with led's chas? I planned on making mine but tony's setup was so nice i just coughed it up. You will love having lights trolling at night. I keep the front dark as i troll and turn the lights forward if i want docking lights.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tracy, are they the rectangular halogen style? I have Tony's vertical rod holders and live then they just aren't high enough to run a bar across. If I had the extra scratch I would have his rocket launcher setup. And just sell my vertical rod holders.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Tony has lights that can go on top of your masts like a cap. The cap has a knob (set screw) that allows you to swivel them. You can convert what you have to a launcher too by buying longer masts and using your masts as the angle braces. You would need top and bottom brackets for the braces and corner brackets for the cross bar and of course the cross bar. Everything he has is modular so you can add on. He also has the same lights that go on the launcher.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I might go that route, I will have to give him a call and see about getting a top like that.  It would be really nice to utilize the rocket launchers above my head for board trolling and use the vertical holders for salmon and trout.