Downrigger Gimbal Mounts

They create a lot of slop as they shift in the rod holder, I also ran into trouble with mine on my first boat in terms of locking in... I ended up drilling several holes thru the stainless flush mount tubes and putting bolts thru as security. They are a great idea for portability, but not real great in terms of execution. I would stay away.

I 2nd. Upgrady. I do have my 3rd rigger gimbal mounted. I do not use that rigger regularly, but when I do it does twist back and forth a bit. This can be annoying as the day goes on and you keep jerking your head back every time you see it rock a little thinking there is a hit!

I am generally happy with mine as it gives me a little extra attack on hot rigger bite days, but would never run my main riggers exclusively from the gimbals.

The quality of your rod holder makes a big difference, some are meant just for rods. When I used the Perko rod holders that came on my boat I had a lot of movement, they weren't built to take the stress that riggers put on them. I went to a set of Smith's that were designed for downriggers and it's a lot better now. Whatever you use make sure you thru bolt them with a good backer, no screws, riggers don't float well.

I also use shorter arms on the riggers and keep them mounted low to minimize the leverage. I'll test them out this year, going from 10 to 15 lb weights. A track system is probably better but these have worked for me so far.