Olcott. Where did all the Salmon go?

Fished hard for 2 days this week,- exclusively inside, and ended up with nothing to show for it. Very few marks and saw very few fish caught, including from the pier. In contrast, Port Dalhousie on the Canadian side was full of fish, including staging fish (presumably) in the lake as well as spawners crowding the area immediately below the dam. In contrast, it appears very few salmon have entered the 18 mile. What's up? Any comments?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Personal opinion. It's cooler water's at Port Dalhousie I believe that salmon will still run and surprise everyone. Just way late. Give it another week or so. Let's see what happens. Need cooler river waters to enter lake. Kicking salmon in the rear. Happy Fishing and tight lines.

The niagara river joins together lake erie and a smaller lake called ontario. The fish pile into it to spawn in the fall. The best way to fish the river is by charter. People who go swimming in the niagara tend not to live. There are three sets of stairs to reach the water. You can also fish from the new york state power authority fishing platform. Artpark in lewiston is an easy access point. If your walkin, get a back pack and take water. I walked out of devils hole with five kings on a stick over my sholder when i was 19 years old. I took my 19 year old son last week. I thought he was gonna have to carry me. I fish with a true die hard on the boat. He wont walk down anymore. For all the chatter about showing your spots. Bull. The river will never get huge crowds. Look around at burt, oak. Most of those folks wouldnt go into the gorge more than once. The walk back out is tough. The fishing is unreal. All winter the charters out of lewiston are catching steele , brown , and lakers. With a musky, gar, northern, mixed in for fun. All of them have picked up a sturgion or two in there travels. Captain vince leaves the comfort of his lake boat and sports a lund all winter. Try fishtheniagara.com. These guys can fish.

Talked to three that did limits last two days. Does everyone limit out daily...no. there is a run going on that is the same as every other year. The question in this thread was where are the kings. Its oct.1. The answer every year is the matures have run the big river. Ya there are straglers. Majority are dying in the river.

the guides I talked to and the ppl I know that went on charters this past weekend plus my experience this last weekend was 2 or 3 fish..  I agree about the majority are dying in the river I'd say we are on the downward side for the run in the Niagara and its just a matter of time before the trout take over the river which is my favorite time to fish the river.

The people I have concern for are the owners of the small bait and tackle shops that rely heavily on the business the "salmon Runs" bring their way. I'm sure the runs are responsible for generating a significant part of their incomes. Sure won't miss the slobs that "fish" this time of the year, though.

The people I have concern for are the owners of the small bait and tackle shops that rely heavily on the business the "salmon Runs" bring their way. I'm sure the runs are responsible for generating a significant part of their incomes. Sure won't miss the slobs that "fish" this time of the year, though.

I would say Olcott has got to be hurting big time this year from the poor lake fishing as there didn't seem to anywhere near the number of people in town as there has been in years past.