Seneca 9-27-14 (Sampson)

Sk8man

We launched from Sampson at about 8 AM. On board were two friends from Michigan and a retired former VP of Yamaha Outboard division (in my Merc driiven Whaler no less :lol: ). We dropped in 6 lines - a couple downriggers with sliders and spoons, 2 wire dipsey rigs one with a wonderbread flasher/fly and one with green and glow E chip flasher and fly a 250 copper with dipsey and echip flasher off inline board and a 6 color leadcore with stickbait weighted with 2 oz weight. Before I had all the lines in the port side downrigger fired with a rainbow jumping wildly with a great Lakes Firetiger spoon (slider) in his mouth. Took his pic and returned him and he took off great. We marked a lot of fish that looked like lakers suspended off bottom and some fish up higher (50-60 ft) in 88 to 130 ft out in front of the chute but no takers despite messing with them at various speeds turns etc....just not interested.  Went south against the SW wind which had some rollers initially and we went about even with the barge on east side going north marking fish sporadically along the way and again no takers. Trolled deeper and changed out everything ran 2 coppers, 2 downriggers, 2 dipseys off boards, 2 dipseys off sides still nothing. Ran out deep just south of barge in 470 ft water and connected with 5 lb landlock that jumped 4 times and even skipped across the water trying to shake the hook (on 8 ft.slider....again on a Great Lakes spoon (green and yellow KW with white underside) released him at side of boat unharmed. Decided to try Seth Green rigs out deep so two 5 leader rigs at sides with small to medium spoons after about an hour of up and downs with the rigs had the drag go out and 3-4 lb rainbow on first leader  (about 70 ft. down on deeper rig). After lengthy time reviving at side of boat  fish released and he slowly swam off. The entire time as we went north each time the grass got worse and worse. A few "patched" out in the middle but much better than at about the 100 ft or so along the east side. We spent quite a bit of time clearing the lines from grass but the fleas were minimal even on the braid, leaders or mono. We had one other hit on the rig out deep but gone almost immediately and that was it. 

Quit at 3 PM. Had a great busting each other and a few practical jokes some at my expense too :) .  Previous to arriving at Sampson I told the guys that the launch should be "quiet" as the season is winding down at the park and nothing much going on there. When we pulled into the park just before the museum the place had hundreds (if not thousands) of cars about 12 very large (circus size tents) and hundreds of people milling around with dogs and security people directing traffic,,,,some MAJOR dog show going on.....of course I heard about how nothing much went on at the park throughout the day :lol:

Only goiot the chance for one fish pic and it was of the smallest rainbow. The landlock was colored up but no chance for pic.

post-145411-0-24515200-1411909805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks guys - Jason :)  Actually he pointed out several features of my MERC motor (even internal stuff) and prop that I wasn't even aware of and went over servicing specific things in it ....unreal. Best of all he said he was really impressed at the top end speed with 4 big guys in it and with all the equipment in the boat (47 mph) which I thought was pretty neat for a Yammy guy to say (even his motorcycles are Yammy's) :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Especially on Seneca :lol:  Thanks Sean he is a great guy and is retired from there now.  I hope all is well now with your stuff and that the fishing has been treating you well also.

Especially on Seneca :lol: Thanks Sean he is a great guy and is retired from there now. I hope all is well now with your stuff and that the fishing has been treating you well also.

I'm sure he is, live and learn water under the bridge now. No fishing for me I took the last three weeks off felt good to be with kids and get stuff done. Probably will hit Seneca this next week.

Time very well spent Sean the fishing stuff will be there long term the opportunities to connect with kids evaporates quickly and it needs to be maximized whenever the opportunity presents itself.Your priorities are certainly where they should be :yes:  and....you haven't missed much out there either. :)