Keuka 9-28

Made it out to Keuka finally.  Got to Hamondsport at about 7:15 and started the motor right up and as soon as I put it into gear is stalled and would not re start.  So I dropped the trolling motor down and motored out a ways.  There was quite a wind coming out of the south which I did not expect.  Fished the shore line with the boys with crayfish and lures looking for some bass, or what ever they could catch.  Nothing so I tried the motor and it fired right up again but stalled again, but got it going and motored around a bit.  So we switched to jigging for lakers and I got 1 about 4.5# and lost another but that was it.  Was not the best time of day to start jigging!  The wind was making it difficult to stay vertical even with the trolling motor.  About 10:30 the wind died down and it started to get hot and with not much going on jigging we moved back in to the shallower water and tried to catch other fish around the docks.  My son picked up a couple nice sized perch and rock bass on crayfish and worms and his buddy lost 2 smallmouths on crayfish.

I had a great time with my son and our guests, but it was a little stressfull with the boat yet again!!  I told my son that I was a little stressed when we were launching and a guy at the launch looked at me and said "stressed? You are fishing why would you be stressed?"  I thought to myself, exactly why am I stressed?  I think I am done with this boat!!  I think I am going to put it up for sale in the spring?!?!  It is a decent boat, the motor starts right up but will not stay running.  I think it needs a tinkerer type person to tinker with it and I am not a tinkerer, but this motor is teaching me to be one and I am learning alot.  Never been much of a motor guy? 

Anyway, maybe I will get out again if the weather stays this nice and try jigging one more time....

Edited by floatfisher

Good day with the kids anyway you look at it ... :yes:  :yes:  :yes: .....

Motor issue could be some thing easy to fix , from buying a carb spay cleaner , leak in your gas line , fuel pump diaphragm getting weak and need to be replaced..... good luck with it....  unless you want to up grade could be way cheaper just to have  someone look at it and fix it.... or go to this old boat here and put down all the info you can and I'm sure these guys will help you figure it out...

Edited by ERABBIT

I think Ed gave you some real good advice. Although frustrating sometimes....having a "familiar" boat is worth reconsidering...."new" or "different" is not always what it is cracked up to be and can as frustrating or more so than getting your own "nest" in order....worth the money to have someone used to messing with it take a look as Ed said may be something simple but not obvious and could be inexpensive as well.  Don't "throw the baby out with the bath water" this early :)

Yea, I have to agree with the guys above posts, if it starts right up then it's something fuel related and you already have it set up the way you want it, new can be just as frustrating. Good luck no matter what direction you choose!!! PAP.

Most importantly you made it out and got the boys fishing! Im a fixer/tinkerer and id try to fix it first...that being said if a more reliable boat is feasable financially id pull the trigger on a newer rig set up for what you want. Having to worry on the water sucks bigtime!!!!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If I remember your posts right you've had trouble with this motor since you bought the boat, I'm all for DIY but sometimes you're better off getting rid of troubled items.  I vote replace it with another.  Regardless just getting out in that weather is a win!  

Yes hermit you are right.  If you have seen my posts most of the more recent posts have been in "this old boat" forum.  It seems like since I got the boat I have been having one problem or another with the motor.  Nothing major, just one annoying thing after another.  I may have found someone I work with that may be willing to work on the motor for me, it is a 90hp Force.  Maybe we can work on it this winter and it will be ready for the spring, if not and it still wants to keep giving me fits then that will be it.  Put it out there for sale and get something newer.

Thanks for all of the comments!!

Those force motors arent the best for sure!! Rnsurfnturf has one on his toon and he isnt thrilled with it. He worked as a boat mechanic so he has been able to keep it up without breaking the bank. You need a nice four stroke that is dependable! I love mine and other than a fuel issue its been bullet proof. Im out in the middle of the night solo all the time and you have to be confident

with your equipment. Now is the time to buy if you can!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The boat is a Spectrum 1706.  I like the way it is set up but it needs work, just cosmetic except for the engine....  I saw an older Yamaha 115 for sale some where and I was interested in teh 9.9 Yamaha that was for sale on here.  Thought about getting both but the kicker was sold and I dont remember where I saw the 115?  Probably Craigslist.  I would also love a new 4 stroke to put on my boat, but with 3 kids and a wife that is not back to work yet it is not going to happen any time soon.....

Don't give up on jigging for Keuka lakers--yet.

After you get your motor problem resolved start jigging around Xmas week through April. By far the best time to load up on tightly schooled lakers. Should not have to go further north than 2mile point for winter fishing. Of course, you have to pick your days--weather wise.

Hang in there.