What's working on Oneida?

GeckoGuy

Run weed guards and keep trolling...You can troll in floating weeds if you put a snap weight clip on so that it sits just under surface catching all the weeds while your lure runs free. You can put something near the lure(ie a bead) but your lure will run shallower as it weeds up unlike my method. If you run boards you can only go till they wont pull. I use 10' 6" dipsey rods with the tips in the water and put my chute rod tip in the water.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Run weed guards and keep trolling...You can troll in floating weeds if you put a snap weight clip on so that it sits just under surface catching all the weeds while your lure runs free. You can put something near the lure(ie a bead) but your lure will run shallower as it weeds up unlike my method. If you run boards you can only go till they wont pull. I use 10' 6" dipsey rods with the tips in the water and put my chute rod tip in the water.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So...what are weed guards? Also do you mean put a snap weight clip on the line behind the downrigger clip? What kind of bead do you mean before the lure? Thanks a lot.

By weed guards I mean anything that will keep weeds from sliding down your line. A simple rubber band would probably work. Eventually you still have to run your lines as the weeds will create to much drag, but at least you have some confidence that the weeds arent on the lure. I use the snap weight clips without the weight just in front of my set back when trolling big boards to keep floating weeds from sliding down the line and fouling lures. You can thread a bead on your mainline before tying on your barrel swivel and that too will keep weeds off the lure, but you will lose diving depth. If you use inlines the weeds collect on your boards and lures stay clear. When flat lining if the rod tip is in the water the tip collects the weeds. If you run riggers your lures should be clear as the weeds collect on the cable and down line. I even lay lines with the tip in the water sometimes if its bad so i know im clear when i put on the "weed guard", board, or attach to the downrigger release. If the lake is clear I dont bother. Hope this helps clarify what I mean.

By weed guards I mean anything that will keep weeds from sliding down your line. A simple rubber band would probably work. Eventually you still have to run your lines as the weeds will create to much drag, but at least you have some confidence that the weeds arent on the lure. I use the snap weight clips without the weight just in front of my set back when trolling big boards to keep floating weeds from sliding down the line and fouling lures. You can thread a bead on your mainline before tying on your barrel swivel and that too will keep weeds off the lure, but you will lose diving depth. If you use inlines the weeds collect on your boards and lures stay clear. When flat lining if the rod tip is in the water the tip collects the weeds. If you run riggers your lures should be clear as the weeds collect on the cable and down line. I even lay lines with the tip in the water sometimes if its bad so i know im clear when i put on the "weed guard", board, or attach to the downrigger release. If the lake is clear I dont bother. Hope this helps clarify what I mean.

These methods are for floating weeds, but on Oneida the biggest issue is weeds on the bottom. You know when you go through a patch of weeds because your ff clutters up and your rod tips bend more.

There arent many weeds on the bottom in 25+ fow. I wouldnt troll shallow enough to have weeds unless I had too, and you dont there unless its dark. Plenty of fish in the deep water on Oneida. Once fish are shallower than about 14-15 fow I cast for em. You just have to work through em.

In my experience (prior to this year) there isnt much deep emergent growth on oneida due to algae bloom and water clarity.

Jeff,

How much light were you reading on your probe this summer/fall. If im wrong I stand corrected...Ive just never had that problem on oneida or otisco.

I can tell you that there are definitely weeds on the bottom in some spots. I let out a bit of line an shoot the rigger to the bottom. Once the screen clutters up, I pull it from the release and boom. Loaded with weeds.

That too is my experience Jeff. I fished the lake as much as I do Otisco a few years back and was simply amazed at the numbers of walleye, but I never had weeds the entire run from frenchmans to east of shackleton a few miles and just north of the buoys. Gecko where were running into em?

Edited by justtracytrolling

I don't see any weeds on bottom once I get deeper than 13' - 14'. There could be some dead clumps of weeds somewhat suspended in the water column I guess. Everything I run into is on the surface. I use the snap clip on my lead core and it works well enough. If the weeds are bad I normally just run 2 lead core poles and do just fine anyway. Sometimes more rods are a waste of time, especially when the weeds are bad.

Luckily this problem will go away very soon!!!  :)

I don't see any weeds on bottom once I get deeper than 13' - 14'. There could be some dead clumps of weeds somewhat suspended in the water column I guess. Everything I run into is on the surface. I use the snap clip on my lead core and it works well enough. If the weeds are bad I normally just run 2 lead core poles and do just fine anyway. Sometimes more rods are a waste of time, especially when the weeds are bad.

Luckily this problem will go away very soon!!! :)

That's what I was thinking too, not growing but washed down there. Why will the problem go away? Ice?

Edited by GeckoGuy