Otisco lake report

justtracytrolling

I havent been posting many reports because after having several incidents in the lake I didnt need anymore issues. I thought Id better put up an update though as its been very quiet for a while. After limiting every night saturday through tuesday the bite shut right off! First water temps jumped back up 5 degrees to 70 plus in the shallows and im sure they dont have the urge to put the feedbag on. Second they are draining the lake to work on the dam. Levels are at their lowest in 2 years. Anyone coming here needs to really be careful. We had to destroyed lower ends yesterday

from people who dont know what they are doing. Lake is down 3 feet and there are danger bouys on dry ground along with boats on lifts with no water under em! There hasnt been a ripple, let alone a chop, since monday and walleye fishing is beyond slow. I need some north or west or northwest wind bad! Plus its way to warm for fall! Time get home and double check all our bows!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin hey it's too bad you've run into a few problems, unfortunately it's not surprising.  I think many of us who post a lot of details have had a few similar issues.  I don't regret my own posts as I know it's helped a lot of people over the years but after getting burned a couple times I don't post specific locations other than "the power plant" or "Kingstown Beach" e.g., that's what I had to do to feel comfortable sharing all the other details.  

My first summer jigging lakers I found a few spots and posted report after report about the great fishing in two tiny locations.  I mean I did everything but give GPS coordinates.  Well I'd been fishing during the week and come a derby shazam!  Easily 20 boats in the current spot.  Learned a lesson that day!  But overall I'd rather help out than shut out, so it just made me alter the info in my posts a bit.

Otisco is tougher as it's just plain smaller and it can be harder to escape the boat traffic so the simple technique of not giving specific spots may not work for you, but I hope you can find a way to keep sharing.

Guess what I'm getting at is that many of us love your passion for walleye (and it was your great posts last year that got me interested) and I can probably speak for others that we hope you keep posting!  Find what you're comfortable with sharing and please keep it up!  It's been great just reading your reports as the enthusiasm is obvious.  Many of us can't fish as often as we'd like and reading about it is the next best thing.  So a big huge thank you is in order!  THANK YOU!

Finally that's too bad about the water level, any idea if it'll be back up this week?  I'm okay with slow fishing but if the water's down I may go elsewhere with my brother.  We're looking for relaxing!

Edit:  I'm thinking if they're doing dam work it'll take longer than a few days... thanks for the tip, we'll figure something out.

Edited by hermit

Friday we had a little action late...after 12. Havent heard of a walleye caught sat or sun and we fished real hard saturday. Super flat, high pressure, falling water levels, and unseasonally warm temps arent good for fall walleye fishing. If we had that weather all summer it would have lead to great reaction bite trolling, but its terrible now. The submerged weeds are floating to make things worse! Just went to the dam to check if they were still lowering water level and it seems they slowed down the flow. There is a crew working so maybe this wont get too bad. Just have to pay attention and you wont have any problems. The people that have had trouble are trying to drive where "they always do" instead of paying attention. Water temps will drop and we will get wind...the fall bite will turn back on big time.

Hermit

Ill definitely let you know as soon as it picks back up. I shoulda had you up last weekend, but I was on a freezer filling mission and i pretty much kept it to myself. I didnt know it was gonna turn off that quick. I wanted to really put you on em after the tough times weve had...soon! The spot we fished all spring is dry ground!

Hermit got it right in his comments above Justin.....don't let the stuff get ya down bud.  - even the hardcore trout and salmon folks enjoy your posts :) .  Les

Thanks guys! I believe in sharing, promoting the outdoors, and that

wont change! A bad experience or two is part of the deal. I just have to keep at it...but a little less info for lurkers is the way im heading! The network of guys that post and pm still will benefit, but i know who they are on the water.

Rock stacking!!!!! That's s great plan! You seldom have an opportunity like this, especially on a lake. Take full advantage of it!

I'm a salmon and trout trib guy. I know ALL about burning your own spots. I share techniques, rigging, baits, etc... But I don't spot burn anymore sad that the lakes are going this way too....

Edited by keukakatch&release

I havent been posting many reports because after having several incidents in the lake I didnt need anymore issues. I thought Id better put up an update though as its been very quiet for a while. After limiting every night saturday through tuesday the bite shut right off! First water temps jumped back up 5 degrees to 70 plus in the shallows and im sure they dont have the urge to put the feedbag on. Second they are draining the lake to work on the dam. Levels are at their lowest in 2 years. Anyone coming here needs to really be careful. We had to destroyed lower ends yesterday

from people who dont know what they are doing. Lake is down 3 feet and there are danger bouys on dry ground along with boats on lifts with no water under em! There hasnt been a ripple, let alone a chop, since monday and walleye fishing is beyond slow. I need some north or west or northwest wind bad! Plus its way to warm for fall! Time get home and double check all our bows!

thanks for the info. I was going to go there this week but guess i'll try elsewhere. You saved me a wasted trip.

Old man,

I think the tiger fishing is probably ok at least, but if you wait a week or so the lake wont be in such a transition. Between the weather and lake levels its definitely affected the fishing. I dont like transitional periods! I did see 2 big tigers working in my scouting missions this weekend, one in front of the other marina where you have done well in the past, and 1 in front of the old footprints restaurant.

Gill-T

The rock pile idea is a good one! I learned in my time on the susquhanna where I live that low water scouting for structure is extremely valuable and I did some major scouting on otisco this last week though it really would work better if levels were more than 30 inches down. Water clarity is excellent so I did find a few spots.

Keuka,

It hasnt been spot burning Ive been fighting. I dont mind sharing...I have many many spots and most are only productive at certain times and conditions so Im always moving. Even if people know where I am fishing it doesnt affect me because its a very tough lake to fish and most other guys are gonna struggle anyway. Ive been having trouble with guys trolling at night or boating that really dont have a clue. There is plenty of room for several boats to work the same 3 mile section if people respect each other and think would I want someone doing that to me. The 3 collisions/ tangles have occurred when I had no where to go and got pinched, one drove right behind me, and the other turned right at me at speed and hit my otter in daylight. Keep in mind its a small lake and Im on it 3-5 days every weekend for 26 weeks minimum and if someone wants to fish where I am I cant do anything about it as its not like there is anywhere to hide. I just hope people give me enough room so we dont tangle up whether casting or trolling. Ive fished up close to others that were where I wanted to fish, but NEVER have I hooked another line casting or trolling. Ive even hollered over to another boat after a quick solo limit and told them to come anchor right where I am before I pulled anchor so they would be in just the right spot. I pulled up plenty close to them to fish this exact spot and they were 50 yards away and couldnt catch. So I thought being I crowded them, though they werent in the right place, Id help em out....they didnt take my advice and were fishless when they hit the launch...i limited in half dozen casts...I may have upset them but I was doing my best to share without NOT fishing my most productive spot at the time. I want others to catch too and love to see guys out fishing Otisco...just TRY to share and respect each other. As for shore spots....no way Ill open post shore spots unless the state promotes them...ie the causeway...not that otisco has any secret PUBLIC access spots.

Keuka,

It hasnt been spot burning Ive been fighting. I dont mind sharing...I have many many spots and most are only productive at certain times and conditions so Im always moving. Even if people know where I am fishing it doesnt affect me because its a very tough lake to fish and most other guys are gonna struggle anyway. Ive been having trouble with guys trolling at night or boating that really dont have a clue. There is plenty of room for several boats to work the same 3 mile section if people respect each other and think would I want someone doing that to me. The 3 collisions/ tangles have occurred when I had no where to go and got pinched, one drove right behind me, and the other turned right at me at speed and hit my otter in daylight. Keep in mind its a small lake and Im on it 3-5 days every weekend for 26 weeks minimum and if someone wants to fish where I am I cant do anything about it as its not like there is anywhere to hide. I just hope people give me enough room so we dont tangle up whether casting or trolling. Ive fished up close to others that were where I wanted to fish, but NEVER have I hooked another line casting or trolling. Ive even hollered over to another boat after a quick solo limit and told them to come anchor right where I am before I pulled anchor so they would be in just the right spot. I pulled up plenty close to them to fish this exact spot and they were 50 yards away and couldnt catch. So I thought being I crowded them, though they werent in the right place, Id help em out....they didnt take my advice and were fishless when they hit the launch...i limited in half dozen casts...I may have upset them but I was doing my best to share without NOT fishing my most productive spot at the time. I want others to catch too and love to see guys out fishing Otisco...just TRY to share and respect each other. As for shore spots....no way Ill open post shore spots unless the state promotes them...ie the causeway...not that otisco has any secret PUBLIC access spots.

Its the same with the bank guys.  I never mind sharing the water with good guys who know what they are doing.  But post about specific locales, and ya end up with a bunch of guys who couldn't catch a fish if their life depended on it trying to rip through the runs and putting the bite down.  or anchoring their bait to the bottom and tying up the run while waiting for a salmon to swim into their line....it sucks!

Collisions and tangles are NO fun!  That should NEVER happen on the lake.  Even a small lake..

Edited by keukakatch&release

Hermit got it right in his comments above Justin.....don't let the stuff get ya down bud.  - even the hardcore trout and salmon folks enjoy your posts :) .  Les

I enjoy the posts and haven't fished there in years..  Its to close :lol:    So keep up the good work.   :yes:  :yes:

I enjoy the posts and haven't fished there in years..  Its to close :lol:    So keep up the good work.   :yes:  :yes:

Absolutely, between Justin and Kevin you two guys saved my a$$ many a days while recouping from my surgery, I couldn't wait to read your posts, and also the guys fishing Erie. Now I just scan the walleye threads, as the stream fisherman battle it out both on the banks and here. I learned the hard way!!!

Certainly didnt battle any crowds last night! It was howling 20-30+!!

Kevin, Paul, n I all braved it...Kevin stole the show netting 2 eyes casting into a blinding wind/rain for 4 HOURS! I stayed more tucked in and settled for a bass. I fished 12-4 and headed for a warm rv! Just watching it rain today...hurry up n get dark!