Canandaigua Canandaigua 9-28 Late report

Got out at about 7:30 am to a strong unexpected south wind. Had a father/son with me for a half day. I mentioned with the heavy weeds and flees we would probably jig most of the morning and the son said "oh no I'm not any good at jigging". Headed about half way down the lake and tucked in behind long point and started dropping in about 60 fow. Ten minutes in and and he had his first of many lakers on. About fifteen minutes later he was hooked up again with a nice 6lbr. Action slowed a bit and we headed over to Menteeth point and he hooked another laker. So at this point it's Erik with three nice lakers and his father with 0. Wind seemed to die right out so I headed to my favorite place to fish this time of the year. Erik's father said all they needed to do is get a double and they would have the 5 fish they were hoping for and I swear it couldn't have been 3 minutes later and they were doubled up with an 8 and 5lbr. Landed both of those and then things got crazy with non stop action and Erik lands a solid 12+lb laker that was released. A few minutes later his father gets a hit right at the boat and brings in a nice bow on my favorite tube. They did a great job taking pics and I waited for them to post.

post-145978-0-57636800-1412182814_thumb.jpg

post-145978-0-58031900-1412182835_thumb.jpg

post-145978-0-14388800-1412182847_thumb.jpg

post-145978-0-82773900-1412182872_thumb.jpg

post-145978-0-62203600-1412182885_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

I waved to you when you came up to Pelican Point, I was in a Sea Ray with a  blue top.  We trolled, tough bite, fleas, weeds, blank screen from Pelican to Long Point, Menteth to Black Point.  We reached the condos and turned out to the middle to go back north and ffianlly put a 6 lber in the boat on wire diver.  We had another one on heading north near Long Point and one of our guys dropped it. 

Hey Mike, I first thought that was your boat till I got close. These next few weeks are my favorite to fish. Mix of Bows and Big lakers on Jigs. One of the females they caught was pretty fat with eggs. Let me know if you want to get out jigging, I hope to possibly get out on my own after this weekend.

Wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing a bit.  I mostly bass fish and like to use 1/4 ounce tubes (green colors kill for me) and when its colder - mirabou hair jigs too.  I use a medium or medium light rod and 6-8 lb fluro.  I mostly fish at Skaneateles b/c my dad has a place there.  Im interested in jigging for the lakers and bows there though - but I don't know what Im doing when it comes to that.  I have read some articles and sounds like 1 ounce tubes in white are the norm (often on braid with fluro leader).  Any simple tips you can give in terms of rod, lure, differences in jigging technique (when targeting lakers and bows vs. bass).  We don't have a trolling motor yet, but we do have a drift sock.  Our sonar is very basic too.  I know these two things limit us a bit.  Any help is appreciated.

If you Google "Cayuga Fisher" you will find a great tutorial on jigging. Unlike many others, I hardly ever use my trolling motor. I prefer to drift.  If the wind is not too bad (unlike today) I will cast downwind and watch my fishfinder and see what the jig and fish are doing. I start reeling up just before the two meet.

My old $200 Lowrance worked well. Moved up to a color finder now but the old one (black and white) was fine. Hermit's ( on "Cayuga Fisher" site ) chartreuse Lunker City Shakers and his super sharp 1 oz. jigs is pretty much my go to lure these days. Fishing buddy got a 34.5 inch laker on Seneca last week with that set up.

Hey guff thanks for kind word, that's a beast your buddy got!  Hope you've been getting into them too.  Also great report chuck527, that's some solid fishing right there.  Loving these jigged rainbows!

irishboy65, a popular setup is either a spinning or casting reel on a medium-heavy or heavy action rod, it's going to depend on the blank with which it's made.  I like a 10-15 lb braid and 8-10 lb leader.  1 oz jigs, drop them straight down.  You can either try to stay vertical with the boat or cast ahead such that you drift over the lure just as it hits bottom as guff said.  Either way give it a few jigs and start reeling in, vary the speed from very slow to fast to see what they want that day.  If you can track your jig on the fishfinder you'll have better success as you can see the lakers react.  That's it in a couple sentences anyway!

All, a heads up- I'm currently trying to move into a real workspace for the jigs, and am nearly out of jigs.  I have the jigs turned off in the store but will take stock and reopen it soon with what I have left.  Please email/pm with any questions or if you'd like to place an order, I'll do what I can in the meantime.

The next steps are clearing out the old space, building a fume hood, and getting all my stuff in there. I really don't know when I'll be back up and running (it may be a few months) but when I do I'll be able to do a bunch of stuff I've been wanting to for a while now, so I'm pretty excited!  Hgue thanks for everyone's business this summer, it'd be great to turn this into an actual business someday.  

Don't mean to threadjack but wanted to get you all the info and forgot to mention it in my report yesterday.  Happy fishing!