diver rod holder

Hi all,

I'm new at this trolling with divers thing.  I did pretty well this past year with them but always held them.  Am looking to mount  rod holders and was considering a holder like the Scotty Power lock rod holder so I can use a flush mount to put on and remove. Are these holders tough enough to hold up to diver fishing.  Appreciate any input. Thanks.

I used the Scottys on my last boat for three years and they did OK. There is a lot of tension on them if you keep them at 90 deg to the boat. I used to keep them angled 45 deg back which took a lot of the torsional stress off of them. I could see where they may have the potential to fail after enough use though.

i wouldnt use any plastic rod holder for king fishing on lake o.they will not hold up and it sucks watching rood a reel go to the bottom,trust me,im talking from experience.im assuming you must be fishing the finger lakes with smaller dipsies cause i dont know of anyone that could hold on to a dipsy set up all day.if you are gona fish for kings on lake o.spend the extra money and buy aluminum ones.also,make sure what ever you mount them to,can handle the pressure too..

You have a lot of $ in a diverrod setup.  They are under a lot of pressure.  And the hit from a king is quite a shock to the holder.  That said I vote for a heavy metal holder.  I have the Big jon diver rod holder.  Berts, Cannon and others  make good heavy holders.  Don't cheap out with plastic holdeders, that will cost you alot in the long run.

i second what big dave said - go with a heavy duty metal holder. Bert's cannon and big jon all have rod holders that also ratch up -this is a great feature -makes getting the rod out the holder SOOOOOO much easier and faster with a fish on.

I've been using my scotty rod holders with mag dipsies for the past 4 years. No problems, lots of pull going at 2.8 mph fishing salmon on Lake o. Hooked and landed a 35 lb King on them.

I agree. I bought the Cabelas 4 pack 6 years ago and they are doing fine. They flex some and probably won't last as long as the metal, but they are extremely versatile and allow for all types of rods and fishing setups.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When trolling with divers on Lake Ontario I use the same Downeastern Salty S-10 Metal Rod Holders I use trolling big plugs for muskies.Very easy to lift rods straight up out of the holders and they can be adjusted at many angles.The 6 Salty S-10 Rod Holders have been on my boat for 20 years of heavy use, they never wear out!

When trolling with divers on Lake Ontario I use the same Downeastern Salty S-10 Metal Rod Holders I use trolling big plugs for muskies.Very easy to lift rods straight up out of the holders and they can be adjusted at many angles.The 6 Salty S-10 Rod Holders have been on my boat for 20 years of heavy use, they never wear out!

x2

I have Big Jon vertical quad rod trees and love them for boards, they are sweet and easy to adjust.

I have Traxstech rod holders on track system. These rod holders adjust both vertical and swivel all with a pull and lock system. They have super strong springs and the rod holders have a rubber rope at the holder tip that locks your dipsy rod into the holder which I only use when running two wire dipsys per side of boat.

Anyway,

Just wanted anyone looking into upgrading their rod holder system to give traxstech

Look them up at Traxstech.com

You held you dipsey rods! Holy crap.

Yep, not only do I hold the rod but I drive the boat. Big PITA.  That's what I get for having no retired friends that fish. Now I must also say that I take breaks and jig in between runs.  I looked at those Down East holders. The Salty deck mount ones look pretty robust. Couldn't use the clamp ons in my boat.