Sodus Bay

dominic

• 3 weeks later...

Fished Saturday 10am-2pm in the depths of the channel between Sodus Point and Newark Island.  Fished 35-41 foot of water to start, with only minnows, and found a few on the bottom and put maybe half dozen in the bucket between 8 - 10 inches.  Nothing big.  South West blow started kicking up and we decided to swing more into the channel area itself between the point (used as a wind block) and the sand bar/breakwall on the east side.  Fished 25-37 foot of water and kept another 6 perch of the same size and one very healthy 17.5" largemouth caught on the bottom in 37'.  Never caught a largemouth that deep....thought at first maybe a sheepshead or pike, but nope.  We threw back maybe 10 dinks, but never really got into any quantity or size. Had the wind been less, might have tried to drift fish, but all in all was just a beautiful day to be out on the water with my son!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday afternoon I saw quite a few small boats out that maybe shouldn't have been due to the conditions

You see two guys in a 12 ft with 2 footers and 25 mile gusts and you wonder.WE had our 19 ft, and it was being tossed around pretty good.

perch fishing is great but I wouldn't take any chances of getting wet.

I know most folks fish area off the loop and the channel markers but a couple other places are worth checking out too....

a) Between Newark Island and Eagle Island where it drops from about 7 ft to 13-17 ft (line up the two western outer points into the bay of the two islands at the edges of the weeds

b) The north western edge of Thornton Point (facing Arney's) at outer edge of weeds and around the north eastern tip of the point near the submerged crib (fatheads or spikes on jigs)

same bait as perch.saw another boat had one also

John1947.....When you say you were fishing "bling" I think artificials. When you say bait I think naturals. Care to tell what that pike fell for?     :wondering:  Yeah those guys in the 12 footer sound pretty gutsy. Not as bad though, maybe, as the guys who will target going out in thunderstorms to catch fish