Once the spawn starts...is it over?

Second year of this, and I keep managing to miss out on the late Sept. fishing.  Not sure when it even "ends" really.    From what I understand, this time of year is pretty similar to

a spring set up, but using J plugs for the most part?

My question is this.   Once the salmon hit the tribs is there any lake fishing left to do through say October if the weather is decent?   Bottom bouncing Lakers?    Browns close to shore?

Or would I just be wasting fuel?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Some days spawning salmon respond well to F-10 sized stick baits with shot added off boards and theres a good chance of getting a bow or some browns in 30 feet or less! It may not be on fire but work an area and you can pick some fish. Keep SOG 2.5 or less

Thanks for the replies.  With an 18' Tracker, not sure I'm going to pound out to the 500' water.    

Will probably go with j plugs in closer.    Still wondering...will lakers still be set up on the bottom like they were through the summer, or is going after them with cowbells

at this point not so productive?

Also, at what time of the year does it just stop being worth driving to Sandy?     

Don't hunt deer, so it's either the lake, or I bay for perch to keep me busy!

Thanks for the replies.  With an 18' Tracker, not sure I'm going to pound out to the 500' water.    

Will probably go with j plugs in closer.    Still wondering...will lakers still be set up on the bottom like they were through the summer, or is going after them with cowbells

at this point not so productive?

Also, at what time of the year does it just stop being worth driving to Sandy?     

Don't hunt deer, so it's either the lake, or I bay for perch to keep me busy!

Remember lake trout season is closed until January 1

you can get steel head in close to shore thru november just like a spring brown set up but more reds and pinks.  as the water gets colder browns and lakers will move in close as well depending on how late you keep your boat going.  And of course seneca is year round for the brave or mentally disturbed.  weather permitting i've been out in both december and feburary on senca lots of room to fish