Field and Stream in Horseheads.

Just an FYI, the new Field and Stream store will be doing a soft opening starting 10/8/14. The commercials say 10/10/14 however there is a sign hanging saying 10/8/14. I heard rumors of it being 10/5/14 but not thinking so. I know they will have a lot of 22 ammo. However it will not be there long due to the hoarders.

The other store openings had someone from Duck Dynasty at the grand openings on hand for autographs and photos. However there is no rumor from the company of anyone coming..  

Remember when these big stores come in we forget about our mom and pop stores that have taken care of us for years .. Sometimes spending a dollar more is well worth it in the long run...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Remember when these big stores come in we forget about our mom and pop stores that have taken care of us for years .. Sometimes spending a dollar more is well worth it in the long run...

Mike

Field and Stream and ,for that matter, Gander Mountain and Bass Pro are really clothing and shoe stores with a nature motive. They do not offer a large selection of goods that are aimed at salmon trolling or other niche fishing like musky fishing. We will need our local guys to get what we need. Besides,do you really want to pay $14 for an A-Tom-Mik tournament fly at Gander Mountain when you can get it for half the price at your local store?

Mike

:yes: :yes:

I totally agree with the other posts about supporting the local shops, that's why on my way up Monday I have a few stops I want to make to purchase things the larger box store are clueless about.

I bet the big box stores will not give the charter Captains a 10% discount either - the box stores are on average 30-40% higher on their prices too. And their at poorly stocked for us trout & salmon trolling fishermen. I avoid the large box stores because of these reasons. If we don't support the local businesses they will be gone as I have seen so many disappear over my 63 years of sucking air.

Not going to list them because I don't want to forget anyone but what Mike said.  Lots of the prices are MSRP and doesn't change from business to business so why not support your very knowledgeable M&P store.  A lot of the chains are for Yuppies.  My wife is a princess and she was just telling me how much she wanted to go back to shop thru the clothing and gift section At Basspro. 

I am going to go to see what is on the shelfs but I am guessing "Gander mountain" and not "Cabelas." 

Joe

I was just letting people know they were opening earlier than what was being announced. I know here in the southern tier 22 ammo is rare. As far as supporting mom and pop over the evil big stores, I myself get 90% of my stuff from one. However these box stores do provide jobs. Albiet minimum wage but a job none the less. While I am working at one of these evil big box stores, I am always telling customers to go to Hills, Valleys, and Streams, Mikes Guns and Ammo, or Barretts Archery for the stuff the store doesn't cover.

Well I wasn't impressed almost everything was more expensive than what I can purchase other places.  The Firearms alone were $50-$100 more.

Looks like a good waste of money to try and become a Cabela's.

I agree with the support local small buisness. Just remember the evil big stores were small local stores we made into big chains. I live across the river from DICK'S Store #1....my son works part-time at Dicks store # 2 so invariably we get most of our stuff there IF they have it...the 25% (35% on family night) off is hard to pass up.

Justtracy,

I agree. Businesses that become successful and expand end up being called a chain. Its unfortunate. I support mom and pops. Some times you find good deals at both locations. Usually the bigger name can have killer sales but the small name can take the time and give you the quality service you deserve versus the big name saying, nope sorry...

Hopefully ya see what I did there...

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I went to the new Cabelas in Buffalo looking to buy cowbells for laker trolling.  This is a very commonly used piece of tackle for our area - the big kind with blades the size of a cupped palm.  The only cowbell rig I could find had teensy blades the size of your thumb.  Right next to them I found rigs that you use for trolling kokanee salmon. 

Really?

The wiseguy in me wanted to find somebody in the store to wheedle advice on the best local kokanee spots and trolling tips.

This is the problem with big box stores.  Every region has its own particular gear and tackle.  A big national chain can't take the time to bother with those distinctions.  They merely place on shelves stuff that's in their catalog.  Go to Cabela's or Gander mountain and ask one of the 20 year old women working there to show you how to put together a Seth Green rig and watch the puzzlement on her face.

Justtracy,

I agree. Businesses that become successful and expand end up being called a chain. Its unfortunate. I support mom and pops. Some times you find good deals at both locations. Usually the bigger name can have killer sales but the small name can take the time and give you the quality service you deserve versus the big name saying, nope sorry...

Hopefully ya see what I did there...

Nick,

I see...just pointing out most stores start with good intentions and service.

I had a bad experience lately at gander looking for a specific Rapala F18 and I got just what you said...nope sorry we cant even order ANYTHING. They would however take my money and call me when it comes in...I said I can go home and find it on the internet and order it myself no prob...what I wanted was for them to fill the peg on the shelf! HELLO! they are selling and all of the other colors are full. They said doesnt matter cant help. I dont happen to have a mom and pop store around here, but I drove an hour to check out hills valleys and streams and bought all 13 of my new trolling rods there. Tracy and I are BOTH self employed so we get it.

Pete,

Its absolutely amazing to me the worthless stuff the chains carry that has no use in our area yet there are empty pegs of stuff we want (obviusly as it sold) and they simply dont fill them. Were you able to get any good kokanee info? LOL

I make sure I stop at screwies anytime I'm up there and Hvs Outdoors BC its right here around the corner.

Love HVS outdoors.  They maybe small but generally have everything I need.

I make sure I stop at screwies anytime I'm up there and Hvs Outdoors BC its right here around the corner.

Yep every trip to Fairhaven I stop and at least buy a token spoon or fly. On long trips they usually bail me out on a major broken/ lost item and are so convenient. I blow right through Auburn almost every time and don't blink an eye at Bass pro!

What get's me about these big chain stored like Bass Pro, Dick's, and Running's is the lack of knowledge some of the associates have. I am not saying they are all dumb; Mike in the fly shop at Bass Pro in Auburn is an awesome fella, knows a lot and won't BS you. I was recently at Running's in Canandaigua and listened to an associate give a guy completely wrong, not to mention illegal, advice about catching a rabbit in his yard. To keep a long rant short, he recommended a coyote sized foot hold trap, and said that rabbits do not use trails so they are hard to catch. I was dumbfounded by this. Mom and Pop stores are the way to go!

They won't. They will be become all online or have fewer stores.

On a side note there is a new store in Canandaigua called Runnings, it will surely put tractor supply out of business. Think tractor supply, the old chase pitkins, and herb philipson combined, pure bliss. They carry everything.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

I am not sure how well field and streams business model will work regarding staying around for long. From my understanding their belief is if you build it they will come. These stores are considered as destination stores and their will be very little stuff going on sale. That way the dicks store can maintain lodge sales by having sales.

More money than brains philosophy there

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It is interesting that Dicks built Field and Stream right across from one of their largest stores. It will get a lot of traffic because of its location near the mall. That's why Dicks moved to its current location instead of being tucked in back by Wal-Mart. Gander Mountain is now in a bad location for casual foot traffic.

Those poor bass in a portable fish tank was a joke.

The store reminded me of the downsized cabelas in buffalo.

I believe the Basspro is going to be 60000 more square feet than the one in Auburn.

I went to see field & stream yesterday they have very little salmon gear I asked the manager it was like he didn't care.

I use to go to bass pro they are getting the same way don't care. forget grander mountain & dicks for salmon gear

, go to the mom & pops they have local knowledge.I do like the salmon classes bass pro has in the spring.