Cayuga sturgeon

Was sitting at a diner today and overheard a guy state he had caught two fish over 70 lbs in Cayuga. I had to ask him how he caught them.. well he tells me and I say you know its illegal to even try to fish for them. He says I know the fine is like $750.! now I'm not being a whistle blower, because I would like to see a controlled catch n release for these ancient creatures! Just like to hear some opinions on the subject. Out West it is a huge draw for people to fish for sturgeon. Why not here? I know trolling the lake I have marked fish much too big to be trout. So what do you think, more license sales could put more money into the fishery.. is there a big enough population for it to be a sport fish?

what do ya'll think?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was out with the DEC a couple years ago while they were netting them. As I recall there were 500 stocked back in the early nineties and the fish that we got in the nets were not sexually mature yet so needless to say that it can't really be predicted yet if there is breeding or a sustainable population. Would be a fun fish to catch there were about 60" back then.

there is a definate long term possibility of fishable populations of them around NY but it is still a way off the long slow growing nature of them is the deciding factor.  incidential by catch is going up all over the state and many of the stocking efforts over the past 20 years are just now coming to a point where sexually mature fish are appearing.  a couple of very strong early year classes could set up a limited season catch and release fishery in a few choice places around the state my estimate is 10-15 years.  that is based on conversations with several biologist and various people with fisherys degrees.  that being said i do not know that a fishable population is part of the DECs plan but there is definatly some money in one if you can get it

As long as Lake Sturgeon remain on the threatened species list we're not going to see any type of sport fishing allowed for them. Bear in mind that the purpose of the stockings was to reestablish sustainable populations, not to provide fishing opportunities.

That being said, the restoration effort is producing real results. It has been documented that sturgeon are reproducing in some of the waters where they have been stocked,including the Oswego River watershed. If the sturgeon in Cayuga successfully spawn to the point where they produce several age classes, we would be well on our way to some sort of legal fishing opportunities.

A sturgeon fishery would be awesome to have someday!  I'd like to catch one somewhere and if it means heading out west so be it, but of course we'd all like to have the opportunity here in NY.  I too have seen super-sized fish on the graph and wondered if it were a sturgeon.  Just too bad some are selfish and knowingly fish for them anyway.

Don't get your knickers twisted?   Seriously?   So perch is our personal resident expert on the sturgeon.  Are you really stating that you know more than the experts about populations and survival rates?  Maybe i misinterpreted your statement but I don't think so.  The self serving imposed right by a few lawbreakers to fish for an endangered species really bugs me.  There are reasons they are NOT to be targeted, period.  Abide by it or don't.  It's quite simple.  Believe me, my knickers are twisted and if I can do anything to prevent it I will.  Now that the Moose population is exploding in the ADK's according to some joe schmo I will choose to hunt them instead of target sturgeon.

I accidently caught one in the 30 inch range. A log would give a bigger fight than these ancient creatures. I did not even try to boat it,instead it was released boatside by pulling the hook through and cutting the line.

That's interesting the 30" range could be a fish that was either stocked later or a wild spawned fish. Dunno. Lol.. either way there are different age classes out there. And they supposedly eat zebra mussels.. they are going to thrive!

As far as I could tell from several web sources, lake sturgeon have been stocked in Cayuga Lake:

September 14,1995 2400 at Long Point and 400 in lower Fall Creek. These fish averaged 10 inches.

August 8,1998 370 These were 14 inch fish.

2000 412

2004 150

2013 2500 These were 6 inch fish. They have metal tags implanted in them, so DEC will be able to distinguish them from any reproduced in Cayuga.

So, there at least 5 different age classes of lake sturgeon present in Cayuga. Natural reproduction hasn't been observed yet, but should happen soon.

Several sturgeon have been killed by the intake at the power plant.

Sturgeon are vulnerable to sea lampreys.

Sturgeon are susceptible to lampricide.

Some of the sturgeon haven't stayed in Cayuga, and have moved downstream.

In addition, DEC believes that sturgeon populations are relatively easy to monitor by gill netting, and that the sturgeon are hardy and survive gill netting.

Seeing that we finally have some creature that attacks the zebra  and quaqua mussels. Maybe we should not think about how to catch them,but about how to protect them so they can do their job eating zebras!

Seeing that we finally have some creature that attacks the zebra and quaqua mussels. Maybe we should not think about how to catch them,but about how to protect them so they can do their job eating zebras!

I agree with you about them eating zebras, but when you create a healthy self sustainable population that is fishable you have a win win for the fish and everyone around the fishery. All outdoor conservation efforts depend on the value of the game and what it is worth to our state. Licenses to catch and release these fish can pay for future generations of sturgeon. The people that come to fish for them will spend $ in our local economy and hire captains to help them hook up, I certainly have catching a 200# plus dinosaur on my bucket list, that's worth a lot to me. Am I selfish? Yup...fish on baby!

Nautitroller... thanx for the link to the Ithaca paper article. These guys will take awhile and with the lamprey in Cayuga.....well, really, I think the sturgeon will make it. Evidently lamprey are a native in some NY waters. And with what seems to be a successful effort to reestablish paddlefish into Chautauqua (and the Alleghany river?) and continuing efforts with Atlantics in the Big O, I like where some of my given  money is being spent......(not meant to start political arguments...). Past work to build walleye populations in NY seem to be paying off in many places too. And the trout "purists" can point to some real benefits as well. Let's just keep those bighead and silver carp away.    :nod: 

I agree with you about them eating zebras, but when you create a healthy self sustainable population that is fishable you have a win win for the fish and everyone around the fishery. All outdoor conservation efforts depend on the value of the game and what it is worth to our state. Licenses to catch and release these fish can pay for future generations of sturgeon. The people that come to fish for them will spend $ in our local economy and hire captains to help them hook up, I certainly have catching a 200# plus dinosaur on my bucket list, that's worth a lot to me. Am I selfish? Yup...fish on baby!

Well said!

.......This just in from DEC on 10/6/2014......The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation has issued the following press release:

Lake Sturgeon Released into The Genesee River

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) was joined by federal and local partners today to release 1,000 fingerling lake sturgeon into the Genesee River as part of an effort to restore a healthy population of this native fish species. This event, in its fourth year, will increase the opportunity for Lake Sturgeon population.to re-establish and thrive in the river.

"This project clearly demonstrates how great partnerships and good science together have contributed to the success of lake sturgeon restoration efforts," said Paul D'Amato, DEC Region 8 Regional Director. "This species of fish nearly disappeared from these waters, but thanks to the combined efforts of dedicated experts, lake sturgeon in the Genesee Rive now have a great chance to return to a healthy, thriving, self-sustaining population."

DEC's partners in this effort include research ecologist Dr. Dawn Dittman of the USGS Great Lakes Science Center; Scott Schlueter, Fish and Wildlife Biologist of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; and Dr. Jeff Wyatt, Director of Animal Health and Conservation for the Seneca Park Zoo.

Lake sturgeon is a native fish species that has been designated a species of concern across the Great Lakes Region. Historically abundant in Lake Ontario, this unique primitive fish has virtually disappeared due to overfishing and habitat degradation. Among the activities being undertaken to eventually remove lake sturgeon from the New York threatened species list include: protection from fishing harvest, habitat improvements, stocking of fingerlings, and evaluations of the success these direct efforts.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's New York Field Office supports the collaborative DEC lake sturgeon restoration program through funding provided from the US Fish and Wildlife Service's Fish Enhancement, Mitigation and Research Fund (FEMRF), a settlement with the New York Power Authority resulting from the relicensing of the St. Lawrence Power Project. The funding facilitates the cooperative sturgeon conservation field efforts in the St. Lawrence River valley, as well as the rearing of sturgeon fingerlings at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Genoa National Fish Hatchery (WI).

DEC and federal partners are implementing a restoration plan that includes a minimum of five years of fingerling stocking in selected tributaries of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River to facilitate reestablishing lake sturgeon populations in those waters. The Genesee River had a substantial lake sturgeon presence into the early 1900s that included "monster" sturgeon. The river has been the focus of recent restoration activities that included habitat evaluation, stocking of 1,900 fingerlings in 2003 and 2004, stocking of 1,000 fingerlings in 2013, and an evaluation of the success of those fish. Results indicate that a number of those released sturgeon are residing in the Genesee River and nearby Lake Ontario and growing well, with weights ranging from 10 to 25 pounds.                                                    And the beat goes on.......

Edited by panfisher

Great report thanks for sharing. NY has an incredible natural resource in its fresh water. It's encouraging to see our government and private factions working on reestablishing this great fish. What's next a moose season? Dreaming there... n

.......Really..... :shake:

there is always " that guy"

He is entitled to his vote but I would argue that its a bit short sighted. Qualitytime is holding a big fish in his selfie pic... looks happy too. Lol

On the topic of shooting bald eagles, if it weren't our national symbol and we had gone with Ben Franklin's choice, the wild turkey, would opinions be different? hmmm, ever shoot a crow?? If we had millions of bald eagles that were taking dogs and small children, well..... that's not the case but , just saying..

Edited by Nautitroller

Nautitroller....Interesting thoughts on the what-ifs....in regard to how, and not very long ago at all, many people have just gone nuts as far as taking too many  animals (and plants). No thought of sustaining the resource. Just in selfish minded sustaining themselves. And not mostly for food or shelter. But for moolah. That multiplying affect of money. The passenger pigeon, buffalo, blue pike (a walleye strain). Just to clarify, my "really" comment on Qualitytime's post was in support of his thought. "A hunting season for Bald Eagles?".......actually sounds kind of funny. Along with the "we had millions of bald eagles that were taking dogs and small children"....Could we make a blockbuster "Dances with Wolves" meets "The Birds" movie with these scenes..... :lol:   :P .....

I look at it like this. A prehistoric fish That thrived in abundance before white man showed up for many thousands of years. A few dams and little clear cutting, some commercial netting and not only sturgeon but Atlantic Salmon, whitefish, cisco, Lake trout and others were wiped out. The program is to reintroduce fish that once swam these water. These are long lived and slow to mature. They number in the hundreds not thousands. They are going to have many challenges to reach 100 or 200 years old and I would rather not see gill hooking one while sport fishing a good reason for one of these fish to die. We have many good sport fishing opportunities in this state and I see no reason we should target them.I've already seen pics of these fish in the arms of fisherman. We should be spending our time educating people on what to do if you catch one which should clearly include not removing it from the water.