Salmon or trout?

jschelter

Black mouth (trout have white mouths) color of fish (just dark with no coloring if either brown or rainbow trout), spots over entire tail mean it's not a coho, therefore it's a king. Head shape is the easiest way to determine male or female. No real "kype", small bullet shaped head. Keep cropping the pics/not mentioning locations! I'd crop even more, but that's just me!

Black mouth (trout have white mouths) color of fish (just dark with no coloring if either brown or rainbow trout), spots over entire tail mean it's not a coho, therefore it's a king. Head shape is the easiest way to determine male or female. No real "kype", small bullet shaped head. Keep cropping the pics/not mentioning locations! I'd crop even more, but that's just me!

thanks for the helpful information!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Panfisher,  I work with both Oswego and Sodus Point pen rearing groups.

The missing adipose fin means it most likely came from one of the 8(?) pen rearing groups efforts located along the south shore of Lake O. 

The 2012 batch of released kings was the last group to have the adipose fins clipped.

It just gives me and all the other guys working on these projects a good feeling, knowing that we helped JSCHELTER and many other fishermen and women along Lake O enjoy this great fishery!

Jim

By the way,

If anyone is interested in helping with the pen rearing projects in your area (setting up the pens and loading the fish), LEGACY put together a pretty up to date listing of the 8 pen rearing sites with contact information.  It's located in the OPEN LAKE DISCUSSION forum.  It only takes a couple hours of your day, for a couple days a year.  And you get to meet some really nice LOC guys!

Edited by 1fish2fish