Second day a charm

After having the birds work just out of range yesterday we made the appropriate move and had an excellent shoot today. One bird shy of the 4 man limit. Most birds we killed between 8:00-10:00 and they worked our spread nicely. Bailey also was excellent in her retrieving.

post-144887-0-65001700-1412537956_thumb.jpg

Headed to a State WMA tomorrow that I've never hunted. We scouted it about a week ago and it looks promising.

We used to go every year to a state pheasant release area up your way Kevin. It was on 812 just north of New Breman. Do you know of it and if the state releases birds there still? Good luck tomorrow!

Was just curious as reading Kevin's posts brought back fond memories of hunting up that way. We still have land up there, but I just dont get up there between the lake and hunting here. The problem with our deer season is it opens so early that there is no time for small game hunting. I love running dogs, but I wont do it with deer hunters afield. If the deer population continues to grow where our place is i would definitely love to spend more time there in the big woods where i could still hunt and get out of the treestands.

35-40 years ago there were very few deer or turkey in my part of the state and I had a beagle and loved rabbit hunting. I haven't done it in years but can still remember the fun we had chasing both cottontails and snowshoes. We also killed a lot of grouse. I've done a great deal of hunting for many species but can honestly say I never spent a more enjoyable day afield then listing to a beagle on a hot trail. I actually think they should shorten the deer season for a number of reasons including allowing guys with dogs more safe time to hunt.