Canandaigua Sunday October 5

Breadman and I went out in my boat for a quick morning trip at 7:30.  We wanted to jig for lakers but the wind was howling out of the south so we trolled.  Set up near the pump house, trolled south to Menteth.  We had one hit on a wire diver near the white Wegman's house but that one came unbuttoned.  We turned north at Menteth and hooked up again on  a wire diver.  Small laker but a keeper around 22" and skinny.  We headed north into the wind and only had a another wire fire around german bros with a small bow around 17" let him go.  Pretty colors starting, pretty rough water the whole time,  back at the dock at 9:45.  We had the south wind blowing giving a following sea at our back on the ride in.  I was WOT and hit some big waves that made it fun.  Although I did slide in close on the west side to ride the rest of the way in in some slightly calmer water.  Did not see another boat until on the way in, there was blow boat race near the yacht club and some bass or perch fisherman in the shallows of the north end.

Nice report! As you Said, Pretty rough day on the water! Anyone who fished it yesterday had their hands full with the wind. I was gonna start a thread regarding our day there, but hope you don't mind adding to your post.

We were on Canandaigua Sat, Sun, slept on the boat Sat night anchored off the South end. We fished the Finger Lakes Trollers Association tourny Sunday. There were a total of 11 boats fishing out of the south end. Most went north in the am, but we decided to fish the drop off for lakers in 70 ft of water, then go for silvers. Once we had 3 to weigh (caught 6 by 930), we headed to Menteth point looking for silvers to add to our box. (found a good school there Sat) We caught 1 undersized, and lost 2. Over all we finished 4th with 11.10lbs. There were some 4-5lb rainbows weighed in (one was lunker at 5.14)and a nice brown I want to say was around 4 lbs. Blk/ppl Kw's caught all our fish, but 1 and that was on a firetiger KW. Lost a nice fish on an Oakie Doakie. Compared to the other lakes Canandaigua's water was pretty "Green" in color. 

Jason,

We certainly have troopers for significant others! Wife and I managed 5 Lakers and one small 11" bow. Wind was atrocious, and pretty cold with the heavy frost that morning. Noticed that the fish each had one mostly digested alewife and one fresh one in their stomachs. The bait fish were large too 5-6" long. Three fish came on custom FLTA flasher with blue/ green ITO fly, other fish came on blue green ALPHA alewife, also Flta.

Maybe should have used mag lures.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Iron Duke was second to Brian Ketchum, Ketchum fish charters from Keuka. Third was Joe Matwiejow. We were 4th. Yes blk/ppl is black and purple primary, other variations of that color as well. KW is about 2.5" and comes in a variety of weights and styles. PM was sent to your partner.

Jason

John,

If your wife put up with that, she can bear a years worth of tourny's in the club. Thats about as bad as it gets, maybe more, but not by much. We watched you fish, you made the best out of a tough weather situation. But thats what we "get paid to do!" Good luck on Seneca! I will be living there for the next few days, or a week or so! 

Ha Ha

Jason 

Great reports guys... Ya the fishing was definitely tough over there Sunday... Really struggled to find off fish which is usually not a problem there...But all in all im good with second after thinking we might be closer to last with the batch we weighed.. Its gonna come down to the wire for the championship and I hope the fishing gets a lot better on Seneca cause I fished there last week 6 days straight and only brought maybe 12 to 15 fish to the boat toughest bite I've had over there in quite some time.....Good luck to all and hope to see ya at Seneca. .

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Breadman this is the better picture of Sunday morning.  I took it while I was waiting for you.  You did not see it because you were probably still riding down route 332 or warming up in the Sutter's bathroom. :lol:

post-139627-0-97539700-1412681187_thumb.jpg

Congrats to Brian, Mike and Jason - Seems kinda strange looking at this posting....I'm sitting here at the Teton Village hotel (near Jackson Hole) at the foot of the Teton mountains in Wyoming after putting about 2500 miles on the car in the last few days and spending time in Indianapolis, Lincoln Nebraska, Denver, Boulder Colorado... and although this place is incredibly stunning....I'm still missing fishing....watched some guys landing a pretty good trout (couldn't tell what kind) today on the way (fly fishermen) on one of the rivers and I felt like...where the hell is my rod :lol: . Oh well, have to wait until I return from LA in a week or so. Hopefully the fishing on both Canandaigua and Seneca will be better by then. Those great lakes lures work great too Breadman....you'll be glad if you get them. Best luck to you guys. Les

P.S. You bow hunters would have a field day here...the elk are all over the place and prong horns too....no big horn sheep yet but tomorrow probably

Edited by Sk8man

Nice job guys good luck on Seneca and keep the reports/stories coming!

Les,

Its not the same without you on here...cant believe you didnt bring a rod just in case! I packed one last trip to fla and when we checked in I find a pond right behind the resort...I ask at the desk if its ok to fish and bingo...only caught 2 lmb but 1 was a monster! Didnt have anything to measure it with and no camera but I have the memory, and probably a few scars from the bug bites.

Thanks Justin….I wish I had brought a rod but probably wouldn't have had time. Kind of funny though today I was at the big dam at Grand Teton National park and I noticed a couple guys get out of their truck with rods and immediately go downstream and when I walked across the road I noticed a sign saying that it was NO FISHING in the Park after October 1st but those guys were long gone to warn and then when we were back on the road I saw  a ranger heading for the dam  :) Heading for Bryce Canyon Utah tomorrow AM for 2 days then on to Sedona Arizona for a couple more….it is incredible out here. I've flown over it before but never did it by car…unreal! Looks as though ALL the trout are stocked around here though.  Good luck fishing guys….

Edited by Sk8man

Make sure you hike down into Bryce.  One of my favorite places on earth.  Been there three times and I would go again tomorrow.  Make sure you drive thru Zion.  Pink Corral sand dunes is fun on a jeep tour to see the sand features and dinosaur tracks (private tour).  Lake Powell is awesome!  Highly recommend renting a boat and spending some time there.  Good striper fishing.  Stop in Kanab and see the huge mule deer mounts at the muleycrazy.com home base.

Ha! this thread was hijacked!

Edited by Gill-T