Deer Hunting...How much has changed for you?

Last night I found myself thinking about what Im going do to do differently this year to try to glean a shot at the deer Im now hunting for the third straight year. It got me thinking about how I got started and why I hunt.

When I think back to how I was raised I realize NOBODY I knew then ever passed up a good opportunity to kill a buck. Doe permits were hard to come by needing up to 3 party members and we hunted for the meat first and foremost. Nobody hunted out of treestands then and posted property was rare. Everybody either did a combination of still hunting and sitting or drove deer. We had to milk cows before and after hunting so dawn and dusk were times we didnt hunt. We still kept "trophies", but it was very rare to kill a mature buck. Now it seems that many hunt for the antlers not the meat. Proof of this is the number of kills that are donated. When I started I cant imagine anyone giving away their entire kill. I still hunt for the meat first and foremost, but the does provide that and I choose the challenge of pursuing mature bucks. I really cant completely control or manage the property we hunt so a true trophy class whitetail isnt a reality, but I go after the best of what I have to hunt. I wondered how others feel about the shift to trophy hunting and all the gear we use to achieve our goals. Im not interested in arguing about the trophy issue and believe its up to the individual just wanted to hear your thoughts. I think Im getting old because I miss the way it was....the hunting is far easier today and the quality of bucks is improving yearly, both good things, but the family aspect and heritage of hunting seems to be fading though not in my family!

You are right about the aspect of our hunting heritage fading. Hunting for the food on the table is less of a concern for many. I am a meat hunter myself even though my needs do not require it. I enjoy the taste of venison. As for todays youth there are so many other activites that grab them first and sadly hunting tends to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You are right about the aspect of our hunting heritage fading. Hunting for the food on the table is less of a concern for many. I am a meat hunter myself even though my needs do not require it. I enjoy the taste of venison. As for todays youth there are so many other activites that grab them first and sadly hunting tends to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree, but we all have to eat anyway right? Sure I prefer beef, but I doubt the farm I hunt on would appreciate that! We had beef on the farm, but that was marketable. I would think with so many health conscious people more would WANT venison and fish too for that matter. I cant seem to get hunting and fishing without eating the catch. I have a tradition that the backstraps from the most mature whitetail buck killed in our family are stuffed and smoked for appetizers for the christmas prime rib dinner along with walleye scallops. This is two fold as the more fish and venison that everyone eats the more prime rib for me! Of course beef is a treat for me and everyone else thinks the appetizers are the treat.

For me its all about putting it on the table. I also don't understand the "trophy" mentality because the only thing i know that like bone is my dog.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To me a 3 1/2 year old buck is a trophy for where I hunt in Monroe County. As far as eats go I love venison. But with that said its all on how it's prepared, I've had where you would never think of prime rib again and I mean it! But I have also had it where you would rather be eating dog food! The actual hunting part of it, I strive to get my kid into it rather then picking up a video game. He's only 5 but he loves as much as I do so far, which I'm thankful for. I truly believe that TV has both ruined and helped hunting for Whitetails. Reason being is it makes people believe that there is a 180' deer behind every tree In the woods which we all know is not even close to ture. But at the same time it makes it more of a reality and possible for guys who put their time in to harvest a TRUE monster/ trophy since a lot more people are letting younger bucks walk in hope for a bigger one. The way I see it, if one wants meat shoot the does. There are way to many of them for the herds to thrive and remain healthy( where I am any way). Let the Bucks walk till they are mature, which also makes for a healthier herd. Just my thoughts and if you are really concerned about the eats go Elk hunting! It is truly wild beef and much better then beef!

Edited by JakeyBaby

When I grew up in the 70's and 80s deer was necessary as was the garden.  A good garden and good deer season meant Santa treated us boys good.  At some point, my dad started buying more beef and venison was not being used and it started with my brother not shooting deer that everyone else would shoot including me.  Eventually I realized that I needed to not shoot every deer I saw.  I had my first o-fer and realized, hey, I still need to harvest a deer for the kids hotdogs, so I am in between brown it is down and quality deer management.  I try to harvest mature does and hopefully a wall mounter some day.  But if it is the last chance to shoot "a" deer and it is a six point.  I still make that shot.  Food first - trophy second.

A lot of land has changed.  Went from farm land to lease land and new generations with grudges etc.  I have less land to hunt but we stopped doing a lot of drives anyways.  More posted land and more land management and some people are just in it for a picture.  Also more tree huggers with larger plots of land.  There are some places I can hunt and don't because I do not have the stamina to drag it out.

I am getting older and my 90% hunting and 10% fishing has flip flopped.  I hope to tag a deer early so I can walleye fish more. 

I can not explain the current generation.  Every time I see someone post a pic with a junior hunt I feel grateful that some of you are doing well by your kids.  Makes me smile.  Thank you, Joe

BSmaster, I was nodding my head in agreement as I read your entire post, especially your last comment about feeling good when I see a post or picture that includes a youngster with a fish or deer, etc.  At first I wasn`t too sure about this early season for kids, but from what I have seen and read, I think it`s getting some of the younger generation the "bug".  Good hunting,  safe hunting to you and all.

I have had the privelage of hunting the same 300 acres in NEPA for the last 40 years. The rules at our camp are very simple, hunt hard from dawn to dusk on the first two days of the season and then be prepared to be at the butchering table making sausage for the next two days. Harvest what is legal and contribute to the pot if able. The beauty of our set up is whether you are successful or not, the meat is weighed out and everyone brings home exactly the same amount.

We welcome young people into our camp whenever possible. We give them choice of the best stands and the old timers do everything possible to try to put a legal deer in front of them.we have been able to stay together (8 guys) for all this time and hope we can continue to be stewards of the land for another forty.

I agree with the change in times. I am fortunate to still be able to hunt with my grandfather, father, uncle, myself and now my daughter(which is a rarety). I am very conscious to explain to her the difference in the age in the deer we see so that years from now there is still a sustainable herd for her kids to hunt if they so choose. You see I was forced into hunting due to lack of money growing up so it was the only way meat came to the table. For my daughter she actually came to me wanting to go and without me knowing my wife had taken her to get her safety course and it really shocked me. I am thrilled to be able to hunt with 4 generations of my family and still for the same purpose(food). We are blessed in this country to be able to do so cause in several countries they don't have the opportunities we have here. Also as for the reason for the change for the most of it is the television, outdoor channel, pursuit channel ESPN and so on. Look at the millions of dollars in the hunting I dustry that wasn't around 20 years ago and longer. Without television this world would be a whole lot more primitive like it was back in the days.

Joe,

I too was 90% hunting 10% fishing, but with less land to hunt and the freedom buying a boat gave me over a canoe I too have flipped to 60 40 in favor of fishing. Plus after 30 years of eating venison as my main protein I prefer walleye! A good use of leftover venison is jerky for hunting season. This year Im gonna try to make enough jerky after deer season to have it on the boat during fishing season, but Ive never been able to have extra after coyote season. My son can eat jerky faster than I can make it.

We all know overall hunting and fishing participation is falling and our biggest contribution to the future of the outdoors is to get young people involved. I think as hunters, we all go through mind set changes as our time in the woods increases. And as with everything else, our experiences dictate our thought process. In the beginning of our hunting career we may be simply focused on getting our first deer, then maybe numbers of deer or consistency. Charlie Alshiemer has written about this very subject The Five Stages of the Hunter.

The biggest change for me as of resent is the company of my 12 year old in the deer woods. I couldnt be any luckier then to have a kid so interested in being in the outdoors. First with fishing, and now bow hunting. I highly doubt anyone will be happier to see him shoot his first buck then me. 

Rob - I have Charlie's book sitting in my office right now at work that i read through on my lunch breaks.  It's interesting to see the 5 stages of a hunter, and i think it's quite accurate for most hunters.  When i started hunting i was fortunate enough to harvest a 115 class buck my first year of hunting with bow, and my next buck was a 135 class with gun a few years later.  After tagging those two deer, i found it hard to shoot the smaller bucks only because i knew the thrill of taking a bigger buck (and knew they were around too). 

Well i recently got married (2 years ago) and my wife has three younger siblings (2 adopted from Ethiopia, and 1 from India).  Growing up on a huge dairy farm where they milk over 400 cows, their family does not have the time to hunt.  So last year i started showing the kids some pictures of the bucks on my trail cameras and they seemed so excited and kept asking me if they could help me track a deer if i got one last year. 

Well to make a long story short, on the last day of bow season last year, i had a small 4 point walk broadside at 20 yards, and the first time in my life i did not even hesitate to take the shot.  At that point, it wasn't about me harvesting a mature buck, it was about giving those three kids an opportunity that they had never had before, to get out and be a part of the hunting atmosphere.  I knew the buck had crashed down in the creek about 75 yards from where i shot him, so i gave them all flashlights and let them track it (they did a great job and led me right to it).  The most satisfying thing about that hunt was not the shot, or the rack, but the smile on each of their faces when they finally found what they were tracking.

Nice Post!! I have three girls from 6 to 11 all have been hunting with me since they were 4. Probably 95% of my hunting time one or more of them is with me. I've got my walls coverd with great bucks and have been blessed with great spots to hunt. Now days Its all about the kids and its great to hear them brag about deer that were shot while with me when they point at the bucks on the wall. Or when we are eating dinner and they say is this my deer and they dive right in. Sunday night I had the little one out we had 4 different bucks at 10 yds or less I told her let me know if you want me to shoot one. I had to laugh when she said let's whait for an eight point. That's what I get for showing her trail cam picks. Now her older sister would of dumped the first one:) Its never to early to start them out, just make it fun.

I am lucky enough to have a wife that understands I am a addicted hunter.  I have been since I was young. I grew up in a hunting family.  Like many have said when I was a kid people would sit for the first day or two and then drive the rest of the season and shoot any buck that came out. For me it was a great opportunity to learn to hunt that way. I started walking as a driver when I was about 8 yrs old. By doing that I got to learn a lot about woodsmanship and the topography of all the land we had to hunt. I did that for 8 yrs until I turned 16 and could actually take a gun.  As a result I learned how to try and move through the woods, track deer, both wounded and not, the importance of the wind, etc... We always eat what we hunt as well.  Since then everything has changed for all the reasons mentioned above.  But I attribute alot of the cultural change to Television and social media.  It seems not only in hunting but in life more and more people have the "its all about me" attitude.  They want to shoot the biggest buck to brag to the world, not  just their hunting buddies about "how great they think they are" because they got a trophy.  I let more bucks walk than anyone in our hunting camp, but not because of someone else's opinion or facebook post. I am not involved in any form of social media, unless you count LOU :rofl:  As mentioned above if a buck shows up and my adrenaline starts pumping then its a buck I want to try and harvest.  It probably wont ever be a "Booner" but I don't have the luxury of being able to be paid to farm and hunt for Whitetails, I wish I did.  To wrap it up, I have twin 3 yr olds, a boy and a girl, that watch outdoor shows and National Geographic type programs with me all the time, they can identify the animals and they ask intelligent questions: Such as "Why are the wolves so mean and chase the elk?" We get to talk about how the wild isn't like Disney land and they are very into it.  They are both excited to go out and hunt with me and I can't wait until they do, and like Sean mentioned above if they ask me if we can take that deer its probably going down even if it won't "make the book" :yes:

Sorry if I was long winded.  Good Hunting :handshake:

DJ

I think the big thing is theres so much opportunity for killing a ton of does for meat that theres no reason to shoot a small buck. Personally I'd take 4 does over one year and a half old 4 point. You can say you can't eat the antlers but at the end of the day getting that smart old 140 inch 10 point into range and passing up everything smaller than an 8 is a lot more rewarding than going out and knocking over the first dumb little 4 pointer that walks up to sniff the tree you're sitting in. After you let those 4 pointers walk 5 years later most deer you're going to see are "Trophy bucks" and you'll be shooting 130 inch deer just to fill the freezer.

Although i do agree that shooting a 130 - 140 class buck is much more rewarding than a 1 1/2 year old 4 point, a lot of people do not have the luxury of having enough land to make QDM work for them.  Yes, they can pass up the smaller bucks and maybe they will connect on a bigger buck eventually, but if you are surrounded by hunters that are content to shoot whatever they see, chances are most of those bucks aren't going to make it more than 1 or 2 seasons anyways.  I guess what i'm saying is that a 4 point may not even get some people excited, but for others a 4 point may be a trophy.  Sometimes it's not about the size of the antlers, but the story behind the hunt that makes it a trophy.

The biggest change for me happened when I stopped trying to learn to kill whitetails and was forced to teach. My son Cody is 22 now and my exwife did me a huge favor when he was 26 months old and told me I couldnt leave him with her to hunt. She felt it wasnt fair to be stuck with him. The next morning he started going with me. I converted an old frame pack into child carrier and converted my old osha harness into a child safety harness to pull him up into the tree. I didnt take long and that first season he started staying out from dark to dark with me. Ever since then I realized I enjoyed watching others experience the outdoors as much as I enjoyed it myself. Not too many 22 year olds with 20 years experience. My 19 year old daughter has gone with me fishing and hunting, but rarely...maybe someday...not with this current boyfriend around tho!

Although i do agree that shooting a 130 - 140 class buck is much more rewarding than a 1 1/2 year old 4 point, a lot of people do not have the luxury of having enough land to make QDM work for them.  Yes, they can pass up the smaller bucks and maybe they will connect on a bigger buck eventually, but if you are surrounded by hunters that are content to shoot whatever they see, chances are most of those bucks aren't going to make it more than 1 or 2 seasons anyways.  I guess what i'm saying is that a 4 point may not even get some people excited, but for others a 4 point may be a trophy.  Sometimes it's not about the size of the antlers, but the story behind the hunt that makes it a trophy.

EXACTLY!!!!

I agree with what guppy said but on the other hand people need to show some restraint. I have been hunting for at least 30 years and I have taken some smaller bucks but they weren't yearlings just bad genetics. This past season for the first time I took a 145" 8 point in the last day of muzzle loading but watched him all season. I let him pass by me a couple of times just being that the genetics aren't in the area so I wanted him to breed as many does as possible so in 4-5 years his offspring is just as big or better. I understand that there is a lot of pressure in certain areas but it seems today people are trigger happy. I have a guy behind my house that hunts the same stand every day bow through shotgun and I swear he must own a ammo company cause we watched 2 deer last year walk close to him and he let 10 rounds fly and never hit either of them, plus he has done this multiple times. Its sad sometimes but funny also.

I've been hunting for 42 years. The days of camp time with the family of relatives during rifle season all long gone happy memories. Just listening too my grandfather tell hunting stories was enough, got my first deer out of that camp on the last day of rifle season, a trophy spike buck! Still have the picture, smiling from ear to ear. Now it's nice to just see deer. Yesterday I rattled a little one horned y buck, he stood looking for a buddy, finally bounded off, another good day in the woods.