Deer Hunting...How much has changed for you?

My Dad used to run a fly shop from our house in Bath, and my buddies and I would tease him about how he liked to talk hunting and fishing more than actually get out and do it. Some years it seemed like the closest he'd get to field or stream would be posing for Charlie Alsheimer with his bow or running stream restoration projects for Trout Unlimited.

I didn't understand that once you've gotten to a certain place in life, you quit taking and begin giving back.

Some people do it by bringing a kid into the fold, others by volunteering time or teaching. Either way, it's a realization that once you've done something innumerable times, that driving force you felt when you were younger to JUST GET OUT THERE, well...it's not what it was. But the satisfaction of helping somebody else to do it, or to contribute to future generation's success, that satisfies every time.

My Dad was awarded Conservationist of the Year once. I don't think I'm ever going to measure up to the old man, and I sure don't do half the things that he used to, but I think maybe I'm starting to understand him (GRHS) as little bit better now.

Throphy hunting is so "shallow" I only shoot big deer for the extra meat..

DSCN0692.JPG I got a extra 20 lbs of meat holding off for this one decent rack too ,well over 400 in.

Nice one Ray!! I'd let that one walk:). Just got back from Illinois youth hunt my daughter had a 160 that needed to take three more steps. That's the way it goes we had a blast. Sean

I started big game hunting when I was 14 with a bow.  Since I have been hooked.  I remember going out with my father when I was young maybe 5 or 6.  We would sit for hours, him telling me to sit still or we won't see anything.  Those were the days. Generally we always shot bucks around 8 points we had a 8 point rule on our property, other years it was a doe but either way they were some great memories. 

Looking back I remember the way things were when you actually had stamps that you had to sign across. I was able to buy a super sportsman for $41!  Looking at the way things are now I feel like some things would have been better unchanged.  I mean some changes were for the good others not so much.

I have been stugiling with the fact that my diehard trophy hunting is taking a back seat now that I have 2 boys. But after taking my buddy that doesn't hunt, son out for the youth hunt I realized that it is time to pass it on. When he harvested his doe on sunday the response was priceless! It was a huge doe and he made a awesome shot on the deer. Friday we mounted the scope and sighted it in, and he surprised me with his shoting abilities. Yesterday his parents took him and bought him a bow. Another hunter for life. Remember strength in numbers fellas.  Realy do I need another buck mount, well kinda but I have realized that there is a lot more to hunting than just trying to harvest that trophy buck. For what, to say look at me? Which unfortunately is the society we live in now days.  I have brought my 4 yr old to hang stand trim lanes ect this year. Everytime I head afield he wants to go to. I carried him on my shoulders for half mile in that down pouring rain scouting new land yesterday( we already hiked a ton) and when we got home he said dady lets go scout some more. So that's where I stand struggling to get over the trophy mentality, but daddys still gona go balls deep for the rut! Brupp brupppp

• 3 weeks later...

BSmaster, I was nodding my head in agreement as I read your entire post, especially your last comment about feeling good when I see a post or picture that includes a youngster with a fish or deer, etc.  At first I wasn`t too sure about this early season for kids, but from what I have seen and read, I think it`s getting some of the younger generation the "bug".  Good hunting,  safe hunting to you and all.

Hi,

I also like hunting ,I agree with your ideas I also take precautions for playing hunting I generally follow the blogs for hunting http://camostorm.com/deer-hunt-seasons-announcing-the-deer-shotgun-champ-by-march-madness/ They also provide good tips for hunting.

I agree with what guppy said but on the other hand people need to show some restraint. I have been hunting for at least 30 years and I have taken some smaller bucks but they weren't yearlings just bad genetics. This past season for the first time I took a 145" 8 point in the last day of muzzle loading but watched him all season. I let him pass by me a couple of times just being that the genetics aren't in the area so I wanted him to breed as many does as possible so in 4-5 years his offspring is just as big or better. I understand that there is a lot of pressure in certain areas but it seems today people are trigger happy. I have a guy behind my house that hunts the same stand every day bow through shotgun and I swear he must own a ammo company cause we watched 2 deer last year walk close to him and he let 10 rounds fly and never hit either of them, plus he has done this multiple times. Its sad sometimes but funny also.

If that deer was 3.5-4.5 it's been spreading his genes in that area for 2-3 years already.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If it makes your knees wobble, it's a trophy. I'm in the same  boat; managing the land I hunt for trophy deer isn't a reality. Bordered by state land, and other hunter properties, if we pass them there is still a good chance they will get shot. I am just as proud of my 13 point 130" as I am my 2 point spike, or mama doe. I see far too much condescending remarks about people shooting young bucks. Harvest only what you'll use, and enjoy you're time out there. You never know when you'll be six feet under and the ride is over.  

I gave up hunting in 1972 in the days of the recurve and after the slugs were whizzing around my head near the High Tor area :)  but I still get a kick out of talking hunting with my buddies and it is really good to see some of the comments on this post regarding giving back, and  encouraging the younger generation to get involved in hunting and conservation. I also think dawsonscreek has his head in the right place too. You do have to stop and smell the roses. The older you get the more you appreciate being able to actively participate in the sports you love and there is no better feeling than passing on the interest, skills, and informational knowledge to younger folks or novices so that they can accelerate the learning curve and have more time to experience the full blown sport itself.

If that deer was 3.5-4.5 it's been spreading his genes in that area for 2-3 years already.

You know I wasn't gonna respond to this because I really didn't know how to take the comment. I am not a dumb person and do know deer habits and how much they breed. I was letting him go so my daughters kids when they are old enough have deer to harvest. Some areas have more deer than others and this particular area my buddies and I do the best we can to manage the deer herd. I also have a plot of land in Cohocton and it is much harder to manage when everyone is the type that brown is down even the road hunters or poachers from NYC or PA and I have seen the decline of the deer herd in that particular area. So all I was stating was I do my part.

You know I wasn't gonna respond to this because I really didn't know how to take the comment. I am not a dumb person and do know deer habits and how much they breed. I was letting him go so my daughters kids when they are old enough have deer to harvest. Some areas have more deer than others and this particular area my buddies and I do the best we can to manage the deer herd. I also have a plot of land in Cohocton and it is much harder to manage when everyone is the type that brown is down even the road hunters or poachers from NYC or PA and I have seen the decline of the deer herd in that particular area. So all I was stating was I do my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake

Ontario United

I wasn't trying to start an argument or call you dumb. I was just stating something I thought might have been over looked. That is all. I'm huge into QDM. I'm on a 1200 acre lease not to far from cohocton that practices harvesting bucks at a minimum age of 3.5 and we have seen good results. I also follow the same rules on small properties I hunt with the hope the 1.5, 2.5s make it. Good luck hunting.

Edited by Phisherman585

My son will have his lifetime license at the age of 3.  I plan on getting him into the woods whenever he feels comfortable.  I won't force it on my kids but I'm sure if they see me doing it then they will want to. Even if he only fishes in his lifetime at least I know he won't need to worry about a license.

I think a 100"+ buck for a first deer would be great for any kid.  I'm not going to tell him he can't shoot a small buck if he really wants too but if that big guy walks thru and he has the shot you better believe he is taking it. I can remember all those little deer I shot when I was young and wish I had let them walk only to shoot a bigger one later in the season.

Edited by Chas0218

Changes.....lets see....I don't shoot mature does because they have yearlings that need guidance.  Mature does set up "doe groups" that use the habitat similarly year after year so patterning becomes easy.  Mature does bring the big boys in.  Mature does stomp the crap out of coyotes that come around.  I will fill my doe tags with a nice tender 1.5 yr old doe.  I believe in QDM as it benefits the herd.  I will shoot a "inferior" buck with stupid antlers or one that is wounded so QDM is not set in stone.  Having two Disney girls, feeding them venison is not an option so I keep one doe for myself and donate or give the other deer away to families that need the meat.  I do not feel guilty about donation.  Similar to Saint Charles Alshemier I am trying to give back via teaching and mentoring young hunters.