Looking for model 7

Looking for a Remington model 7, prefer 308 caliber, with short barrel. I hunt the forever wild part of the Adirondack mountains in the five ponds wilderness area and these guns are perfect for this type of still hunting because of how far you walk in a day. I bought my dad one for a Christmas present and I fell in love with it. I'm only looking for the short barrel carbine model, hardwood stock only too .

Thanks

Food for thought look in to a Remington 760 or 7600. I know the area you hunt in well. I lived and hunted there for many years. The remington 760 and 7600 are pump action rifles make for a quicker second shot if needed. Thery are still manual action not as apt to foul like a semi. Pumping the rifle you can keep your eyes and sights on target unlike a bolt action. They also come in carbine models like you want. I would also think about going to a harder hitting bullet like the 270 or 30~06. A little slower than 308 but carry a lot more punch power for those brush shots. Good luck to you. Not trying to say what you want won't work just giving you personal experience and maybe another option. Hunted that area a lot and understand how much work it is

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lily,

I actually hunt with either my 7600 or my favorite is my Remington 750 woods master semi-auto carbine. I also like my Browning Belgium. All are 30-06 and I use 180 gr bullets. I just like the model 7 cause it is light. We travel about 6 to 8 miles a day still hunting and sometimes 10 to 12 miles. My two favorite tree stands are over 3 miles one way from my tent, some days a light gun like the model 7 would be my choice mainly cause I'm worn out, lol

Also,

I may be wrong but I believe the 308 and 30-06 have almost the same ballistics with a 150 grain bullet, I know it's hard to believe cause the 308 is a much smaller casing but like I said, I may be wrong on this statement.

Just curious what area of the Adirondacks did you hunt, I've studied a lot of them, I might know the area.

Have a good night

30~06 and 308 are not similar. Like comparing 222 and 22 mag. Same diameter but not same round. Ballisticly the 308 is much faster than the 30~06 round flatter shooting and have increased range. However the 06 is a lot of weight and really thumps what it hits. Faster in the woods in my opinion isn't all ways a good thing. I personally would rather have the hard hitting power. Anyway. I lived in Saranac lake and hunted all over from the high peaks to Regis wilderness area and in between. Was never much of a sitter and spent most days tracking and wandering. I also lived in star lake and hunted out of cranberry lake and wanakena in the Dubois forest lands. No real 1 place used to wander a lot.

Small world, years ago I lived outside Malone and also hunted Regis wilderness, and Tupper lake. The guy that hunts with me goes to the high peaks for three days every season, usually kills a nice rack buck.

I've Still hunted almost everything south of route 3 from Star Lake to Cranberry, From Stillwater north to my tent. We actually break off to hunt the moose river plains a weekend also.

I also don't like to sit and spend most of the time still hunting, and tracking. All my guns are 30-06 so I agree it's the best caliber for Big Woods hunting, unfortunatly the model 7 only comes in 260, 243, 25-06 and 308. Out of those choices I think 308 is the best. I have a 300 Wetherby magnum that I never use and want to sell that and buy the model 7. If I only use it twice a year it will be worth it, lol

06 and 308 ballistics are almost identical with 150 grain bullets of the same type. When you get over 168 grains the 06 has the advantage over the 308 because of the larger case capacity. The difference between the two is nothing that 99% of shooters would be able to tell the difference, with 168 grain bullets and under.

I agree that out of those choices the 308 is the best. I don't really know the model 7 that well but have had and shot plenty of 700. Weight wise with walnut stocks and a short barrel I'm not sure you will be gaining any thing from the 7600. Mine is cut down my 760 has 19 inch barrel and I removed the comb from the stock. My 760 is light and carts just like a bird gun. Actually it looks and feels like a ithaca deer slayer feather light. I know it's a small world. If you put tour time in there are opportunities to kill bucks that dress over 200 lbs good luck to you. I re-read my above post I wrote Dubois and ment to write Dubuar. I am a ranger school graduate. Good luck. I'd personally save your money and stay with the 7600😅.

I have a Rem 700 MTN LSS in 270 Win. For Sale. It's a coated in matte black Teflon. Scoped with a Leopold 3-9. 3# trigger job. No stainless steel showing. Leopold rings and bases coated too.

This is a lighter weight, shorter barrel 700. Beautiful gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have been thinking of new a new rifle and was considering a cartridge in the new Nosler 26.  Seems to be similar to the old .260 roberts rounds but faster and flatter shooting.

What are you looking to do with it, Long range (over 150 yards), short range, brush gun? If you are looking for something in the brush it is hard to beat the old 20 gauge pump with a rifled barrel.

The model 700 is a great gun, and light, but a model 7 mountain rifle carbine is lighter but more importantly to me, I comes to aim better than any gun I've ever shot, which is super important to my style of hunting. Also it is very compact, easy to weave in and out of thick cover. I bought one for my dad for Christmas and couldn't believe how well the gun fit and pulled up. I guess It's just a personal preference, someone else might not like the gun.

Chas0218,

The 20 gauge wouldn't work in the full picture, would be fine at times but there is open hardwood ridges and beaver meadows that you can see for a long ways, and many times that has been where I've caught up to a buck tracking it, so I would say I need both a good brush gun with down range capabilities also. The 30-06 works great.

O ok gotcha.  I was thinking you wanted just a light brush gun.  I wouldn't be afraid of a .243 it sounds small but is one of the flattest shooting rifles I own.  I have shot it out to 300 yards and just kept the crosshair same spot as 50 yards and she drives tacks. My wife uses it during gun season and has dropped deer in there tracks on several occasions.  It is a necked down .308 (.308 brass with .243 bullet) lots of punch in that little round. I use the Hornady Superformance 90gr. ballistic tip for deer.

I understand you like the .308 but I wouldn't stray from the .243 if you find one in the model 7.

Well good luck to you. If the gun pulls up right for you that is the most important thing. I know and understand your style of hunting and it is your preference that matters in the end. Good luck to you in your travels. And may a 200 lbder be at the end of your next track. I live in central New York now and get boards hunting anything under a couple thousand acres. I miss the big woods.

Lily,

I won't pull the trigger on anything that's not a big rack either,I try to get my meat hunting bow or muzzleloading, and I agree 100% with you, I wouldn't trade Big Woods hunting for anything, I can't count how many times I've tracked a nice buck to posted signs hunting smaller parcels of State land. There is a trade off.... In the forever wild area I hunt, with no logging the canopy has grown and limits the undergrowth, the deer population is very low. I had my worst year last year only seeing 9 deer all hunting season and I worked hard, hunted hard, many times three or four days in a row without seeing a deer, I guess the challenge is part of the drive and the reward of a 200lb buck makes it all worthwhile.

I agree 100 percent. Getting away from the people and putting your time in well always reward you in the end. Nothing better than dragging a 200lb bruiser out of the woods for 3. Or 4 miles at maybe more. It is the excitement the thrill of the adventure that makes only seeing 9 deer in a season worth while. That 10 th deer may be the slob old mossy that your waiting for.

I cut my teeth hunting the St. Regis Canoe Area - Long Pond, Ledge Pond, East Pond.  Lots of good times back there.  Major effort but worth it.  Had a Model  77 Ruger International .308 that was a shooter and a great carbine length to carry.  Burned up in a house fire.  Bought two more and neither would group well.  Moved on to a .280 Model 700 after that and never looked back.

Starcraftloaded if you want hard hitting you could bore out your 06. To a 338~06. That will be my next round. Hard hitting 338 bullet on a 06 brass. Anything you hit will know it. 😀 I'm sure if you are a big woods tracker you have heard of the Benoits. Manny Benoit is using that round and loves it from what I have read.

I've definatly heard of Lanny Benoit, read articles and watched films, and the greatest thing I ever learned from him was what to do when you first jump a Big Mature buck you are tracking. If I didn't get a shot or spooked it before I could see it I always believed it was over. Not any more, I wait about 45 minutes and then retake the track, it works almost every time. Years ago I would continue right on and he would panic and move into the next three counties. Now I stop, sit down for about an hour and jump carefully back on the track. If I jump him again and can't get a shot I repeat the process over. I wish I learned this about 20 years ago, my trophy wall would be a lot bigger.

35 wheeler excellent big deer round. Yes the 30~06 can be reboared to take the 338~06. Not much more than changing the barrel. From what I've read on line it doesn't seem that hard to do with a 7600. Also your right keep shooting till you have him down. Big mature bucks have amazing will to live and a extra bullet or 2 or 3 in him is just insurance that he Will be dead at the end of his track. Seen a lot of people shoot once and say yea I got them bc and then watched them go home empty or even worse lost a wounded deer. I say shoot instill he stops running. Then you know you got him