Looking for model 7

• 2 weeks later...

As the story goes, there was an ex cross-country runner from Chittenango, NY, that used to cut a fresh large track in the Moose River Plains area and would literally run them right down. 

He carried a Winchester lever, rope, knife.

I used to hunt up in/around Indian Lake, and over in the Jessup River area.

Many miles between deer, no doubt.

Now, we just stay south.........not the same at all.

Wool pants light boots wool coat and a gun that shoots strait and a lot of determination is all you need. All big tracks lead to a big buck. Its having the will power to keep up with him. Nothing makes my heart sing like 4 inches of fresh soft snow and a track you can set a 30~06 cartridge in side ways. Nothing like hunting that way.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I actual have the exact gun you are looking for unfortunately it's not for sale. It been in my family... It was the first thing my grandfather bought when he retired from the railroad. It is a great gun. It's done everything I have asked for it and more. I wish you luck in finding one

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Hey Starcraftloaded any big bucks yet. How's snow up there. I was close yesterday big track jumped him out of his bed and he took of for greener pastures on private land. Oh well there will be more. Good luck sir.

Lily,

That's too bad, nothing worse than finding a private chunk in the middle of nowhere.

I did get a 7 point Sunday, basically an 8 point missing a guard tine. Not a huge bruiser but a nice Adirondack Big Woods buck. I cut his track on the back side of mount Marcy, got a quick glimpse of him withen the first 1/2 mile, caught him on a dead run on the north side of a gut, more a lucky quick shot, LOL.......then the fun began, that dreaded drag out. Shot him around noon, got him out around 4:30, but all worth while.

Good Luck, you will definatly have enough tracking snow, lol

Brian

Killing them is the hard part getting them out is the fun part. I know tour pain. Nothing like a 5~6 mile drag to the nearest road dragging a 200 lbs out. Good job. I'm happy you got one. At least dragging them out you know the hard part is done. If it takes 3 hrs or 3 days at least you have you buck. Makes it that much more enjoyable

I hear ya, a friend of mine shot a 228lb 15 point last season.(10 point with split brow tines and three legal sticker points)He cut it in half, took the front out that day, got out of the woods at 10:30 and went back the next day for the other half. I was actually glad I was working and not hunting with him that week, lol. That buck was killed in almost un hunt able cliffs and shelfs, matter of fact he almost let it go and trust me he really would have let it go, I witnessed it about 5 years ago. I came out to a huge swail and saw him full draw on a nice 8 point. I watched him put his gun down. I called him on the radio, he said being all the way into the Jet crash it would need to be a smasher or nothing.

• 4 months later...

Thanks to Hank also Sorry Hank I wasn't aware you were working on the web site also :$ .But Thanks.

Miss Um... i know this is old , but i own the same rifle and caliber, m77 international and had same issues with acuracy.. The 150 grain superformance rounds would even tumble, and hit target sideways. In these short, slow rifling barrels i shoot bargain brand core loks in 180 grain round nose soft points..just cant stabilize over 2700 fps.. Shoots one inch groups. Kindda stinks making your .308 shoot 30-30 speeds but kills deer real dead.. Also.. That manichner stock heats that barrel up quick after five or six shots... Hope this helps. I Quoted the wrong reply i guess....

Sent from my LGLS620 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nutzy