Rigging the new boat

lakebound88

Hey guys. What's everyone's favorite net holders. I mount mine mid ship out of the way. I've always had the 360 * fish on style what ones do you guys use?

I was thinking about mounting 6" tracks and sticking the Berts in them.

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good thread Nick , mine are over kill right now using the cannon ratcheting rod holder but works nice, I now have a rod tree on one side I can put the net in out of the way but that is real high and hard to get out....... if it ruff out I don't put them in like this just seems like undue stress on the holder.....  

HootinNewboat_zps0ac6fc34.jpg

I have my GLP trees. I have my launcher from tony as well. But I store my nets forward of these so there is no tangling possible with my board rods to trees

Mine is forward too....just put an extra rod holder down low and spin it forward....but my trees are mounted to the deck not the gunwale.   I bet you could mount one of his bases on each side on the deck and put a stub of 2' aluminum mast in the base and put a rod/net holder on it.  Options are unlimited with his stuff!  Cant wait to see pics when you are done!!!

Thun that is exactly what I used to build my planer mast set up.  I am working on upgrading it to a rocket laucher I just have to attach railmount rod holders on the cross beam.

lakebound  for what its worth i bought 2 of these to trial http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_12625_Taco_Light_Tackle_Aluminum_ClampOn_Rod_Holder.html

i put them on the cross bar and they were perfect for rod storage and net holding i plan on getting 4 more to complete the set and they are well within my budget.  I wouldnt run a dipsey out of them but thats not what i was looking for they are solidly built for the price and can be mounted anywhere on your arch system at an angle of your choosing.  

my other option is the old stand by piece of pvc and a couple hose clamps but it would be a shame to ugg up your new ride that way. 

Hollaender also makes slip on Mend-A-Rail fittings that you could slip onto that beautiful arch on your beautiful boat. It looks like you'd have to drill a couple of holes through the arch for the two bolts that secure the fitting, and that you may want to think about. Once the fitting is secured to the arch, a length of 1 1/2" anodized pipe slips into the open fitting and a set screw allows you to angle the net holder at any angle you prefer. Scroll to the bottom and click on the pictures for schematics. It looks like the 1700 might work.

http://www.hollaender.com/?page=speedrail&r=1

Although this picture isn't the right fitting, it does give you a better idea of how the mend-a-rail fittings are secured to an existing pipe.

http://www.buyrailings.com/popup.aspx?psrc=images/product/large/7000.jpg

Edited by Thun

lakebound88, you're welcome. They do look identical

justtracytrolling, I've spoken with a couple of guy's who have the Great Lakes Planer rocket launchers and they LOVE them. I was seriously thinking about buying one but after I mounted a board up each gunwale with speed rail, I'm thinking about making one from those fittings and 1 1/2 " anodized aluminum.

Chief, I went with 1 1/2" fittings and pipe because I couldn't find planer reels with fittings to fit pipe over 1 1/2". Those Cisco electrics are calling me!

ifishy, I'm thinking the same thing! This year I mounted two boards up the sides and now I want to add a rocket launcher with planer reels on each mast. I think I'm going to have the rod tubes welded to the horizontal bar across the top and use fittings for everything else. We've had a couple of mishaps out there. Stepped on a rod and bent a guide backing up while trying to net a dipsy rod fish, and my b-i-l buried a hook in his hand this year. I have to get those rods out of the way and organized.

Initially, I was thinking galvanized, until Dukdog suggested speed rail. He was my inspiration!

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/42119-helping-my-little-boat-fish-big/?hl=dukdog#entry275437

Edited by Thun

I too love my GLP launcher and trees. I wanna be able tho to position the trees to move and walk the walk around. Mounting trees can get in the way. The cannon system looks like a good look but unsure on if I'd even like cannon on the boat..

The trees are amazing. GLP, but I believe I'll be letting them go with the trophy if it sells this fall..

My little Tracker was docked near the Yankee Troller this past summer and I was hoping it would cast a shadow on me for luck. And thanks for all the reports you give out here...you're The Best!

No problem! Hope you had a great time up here.

thun thats funny that dukedog thread came out as I was buying fittings and tube. so i had all sorts of questions for him at the time.  I have a smaller boat so I thought the 1.5" would look out of place i ended up using 1" OD tube and so far it has held up very well plus there are a lot of clamp on mounts for 1 inch rail out there i tested the streangth by hanging off of it and I am not skinny it held up well so if I ever do get the money for a larger boat I'm gonna use the same set up having lots of holders up front is key to get rods out of the way when fighing and landing I used to not have enough and had to land fish around rods stored in back it led to issues.  

I had the pleasure of meeting Dukdog at Catfish Creek two summers ago and when I saw the railing he had installed, I remember telling him how nervous I was with my sons hanging over the back to set the riggers. Our boat is really a walleye boat with platforms fore and aft and there isn't much height to the top of the gunwale when standing on that aft platform. I wanted to mount a board across the back but my oldest didn't like that idea and suggested running them up the sides so that's what we did. At first, I tried mounting the riggers with a Cisco mount they make for Tracker's Versa Track system but that didn't work very well, the riggers were constantly shifting around and I found myself trying to shim them to keep them seated but I was just too nervous that I was going to lose them overboard. Cisco worked with me diligently to solve the problem and I wouldn't hesitate to buy their products again...I still think they make a great product. Also, I had 3 of 4 Cannon swivel bases crack on me and now that I think about it, it may have been the stress those mounts were under bouncing around the way they were. Cannon replaced all 4 lexan swivel bases with 4 new carbon fiber ones, another great company IMO. With the new boards and bases, I should be all set. Because I wanted to mount 2 riggers per board, I went with the larger 1 1/2" pipe, it might be overkill but being a big guy myself, I stood right in the middle of each board and jumped up and down on them...they're solid! I may have to rethink what size pipe I'll use for the launcher and thank you for your input. This place is awesome because so many are willing to help each other out! Here's what I've done so far.

And thank you Captain, we had a great time at Oak Orchard and can't wait to go back!

post-151648-0-43409000-1413042890_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thun

looks good i know what you mean about low sided I mounted a board across the back for the riggers and it doubles nice as something to brace my legs against.  

I took up trolling again 5 years or so ago after not doing it for 15 years or so and this site helped shorten the learing curve a ton.  and its always nice to find do it your selfers willing to share experiences.