Attaching Coated Cable to Cannon Manual

You have to strip roughly 24-36in of the coating off the cable. The best way is to burn it off with a lighter. After coating is removed take a piece of sand paper and clean the wire cable. Then just feed the cable through the small hole on the side of the cannon spool, use a crimp to keep it from pulling back through. Then wined the stripped cable around the spool by hand making sure the stripped cable is making good tight contact with the stainless set screw on the bottom off the spool. Before you do all that make sure you run the cable the through the antenna and boom swivel. Makes it alot easier to wined on the spool, so you dont have to re fish every thing. This should get you goin.

Edited by JakeyBaby

That set screw should be holding the shaft that runs through the center of your spool. If it is below the spool dia. It will not work. I would pull the screw right out and rotate the pin in the center and find another hole to lock down on. There should be multiple holes in that pin.

What's the need to make contact with the set screw on a manual rigger?  I did not do that with my Unitroll and have not had a problem with it and a Moor Subtroll in four seasons.  Maybe I have been lucky - just looking for a little info.

Stripping the cable to make contact with the set screw is only for autostop. When the opposite terminating end (rigger weight) breaks the surface it opens the circuit telling the auto up feature to turn off (autostop)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

One trick I found over the years with the coated cable and cannons is after you strip off 40" or more of the cable is freespool the bare cable on nice and tight ensuring at least 3 or more wraps are in contact with the metal set screw. Then I add a piece of electrical tape or even duct tape over the wraps and set screws to ensure they remain in contact the whole time while spooling up the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United