Onieda

MeatHunter737

Congrats on your catch, was up last Mon-Weds Terrible winds 20-30mph with gusts up to 45mph :devil:  and weather forecast was to be the same till Fri. Closed camp for the season.  Here's to your catch :yes:  :yes:

Tried Sundays catch yesterday for lunch.... The burbot was very good! Better than the pickeral.... but more like lobster meat than walleye. Hit 2 spots on the south shore Monday night and got the skunk saw only a few eyes caught amongst 8 guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When we had property on the Perch River we used to go under the bridge and on the other side there is a deep hole 30+ feet and during the opener of walleye season naturally we fish the buoys in the Black River Bay, after we were done fishing on the return trip we always stopped at that hole and we used to cut the white belly meat of the walleyes into like a jig& pig style about 2" long and put that on a yellow jig head and caught many Burbot like that. We would fillet them, cut them into chunk and then steam them like you would a lobster, then dip them into butter. Closest thing to lobster I ever ate!!! My dad loved them the meat would get Snow White when steamed. Not to mention a good fighting fish also. Try it you won't be disappointed.

I was just telling a story from the late 80's, maybe it was illegal I don't know for sure if it was arrest me. I'm sure we are all guilty of something in our life time one way or another. Thanks BS. I thought I might get some flack. Some folks thrive on that. I have a bad back, but I have broad shoulders!!!!

Edited by pap

Thanks fr sharing the story pap!!

Thanks greenglow, I like to share stories that include my dad, and that one just fit the shoe. I post very little anymore. The world is so negative anymore it's a crying shame.

Gecko, I bet they can still be found in deeper water since the lake is still relatively warm and the shore night bite is really just beginning. I have never caught a limit from shore before Columbus Day and in the past it's always been best after holloween.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes...thanx. I've read that they do come out a lot like lobster and in fact are often called (when cooked) "poor man's lobster". Next time I or someone I'm with gets one, it will for sure be prepared (unfortunately for the "lawyer"....!) for dinner!     :nod:

Not knowing anyone with a cottage or lakefront access, I am a little hesitant to ask this but here goes.  I don't know where to go to get access to shoreline casting!  I know this sounds like one of those, "you gotta' be kidding me buddy" questions, but I have not ever tried to fish Oneida from shore and have no idea where to go.  I fish the lake fairly often, but from a boat  Only place I have ever heard of for public access shore casting is somewhere near or under the Brewerton Bridge.  

So, if anyone wants to maybe give me a little help I'd appreciate it!  You can send me a message if you don't want to make it public.  Also, if anyone is heading out and wants someone to fish with let me know.  I'm not a rookie!  I just don't have any knowledge of where to go without trespassing.

Thanks,

Grady

Good night at oneida last night. Got a limit from a public access spot. It was fun sight casting to fish. Got 2 in like 15 minutes and had to work for the third. Fish aren't scared of the light here like on otisco. I watched how the fish were responding to my lure to get them to strike. Wouldn't commit to the bite on the lures I had been using so I tried a bigger lure that I use on otisco and not typically at oneida and that did the trick. First 2 came on Berkeley flicker minnows in natural colors, last on the HJ14

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think the fish are thin because of the later winter and cool spring. The bait is on the small side as well.

There are always eyes in the deep water too. I have caught them well into December from the boat in deep water. Might try this weekend if the weather cooperates.