Bow Hunting Aids

Gill-T

I found a product that has REALLY helped my bowhunting success and I thought I would share it. I don't know if any of you use a hind sight, but you should really try one. The concept is similar to looking down the open sights of a rifle. The result is a more consistent alignment of your eye to target. I can pick up my bow at any time and shoot great groups because the hindsight make shooting more fool proof. Three points of alignment are on my bow ---- Kisser button-hind sight-front sight pin. What the product has taught me is HOW IMPORTANT A SLOW TRIGGER PULL is...just like in shooting a gun. With the rear aligner you can easily see when you pull off target with bad trigger pulls or moving your head slightly. At twenty yards you will be astonished how the smallest movement of the head will translate to 6-8" off bullseye. That translates to shoulder or gut shots. Go to 30 yards and it is REALLY magnified. Throw in all the nervousness of trying to shoot a target that can move and flinch at the shot and I wonder how I ever got a deer before. I did adjust the hind sight by removing the top two fingers of the "X" to increase visibility. Now the hard part. Sight in your bow with lots of practice until you feel comfortable with your pin placement. Then add the hind sight and have a friend move the sight laterally and up/down until the bottom flanges of the hind sight nestle the front pin in alignment. Then start shooting. Make adjustments to the hind sight as needed. Once you are locked in, tighten her down firm. Feel confident you can pick up your bow any time and shoot well. I don't have time to shoot like I should so this hind sight fits into a working man's lifestyle. Give it a try.

PS: I use only one pin. I will only shoot out to 30 yards. At 65 lbs my arrow drops 8" at 30 yards so I have built in "deer-drop" compensation already factored in. One pin, just put it on them and the natural arrow drop takes care of everything else.

Hind-Sight-II1_zps62f32081.jpg

I don't like peeps either. I switched last year to this which is the same principle as the hind site. Uses rear projection red spots as the hind site and the green line is the front site. Was using a halo site but battery power is hard too find for it. The new site has ranging capability too..good for my slow 454 grain high energy rainbow arrows!

post-140268-14134015974388_thumb.jpg

post-140268-14134016427921_thumb.jpg

So now I got this!

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Edited by skipper19

I shot competively for years with a tiny power peep and a scope and just loved it on a bright range, but never really found anything that i liked for hunting till my current set up.  I went to a single pin adjustable sight and a BIG peep.  The ring around the pin fits exactly in the peep so I no longer have to center the pin.  I just make sure I can see the whole ring in my peep and Im locked in.  If my anchor point or head position is off at all I lose a part of the ring.  Im def gonna look at the rear site though...sounds great.  I work myself out to 80 yds practicing so anything in normal bow range is a done deal.  

Justin, if you are into long range shooting, you may not like the rear sight. You can shoot different pins but you only line up the rear sight with one pin. To shoot multiple pins you have to line up the rear sight with the top pin for alignment, then line up your target with the corresponding pin for the distance you are shooting .....all the while maintaining the hind sight-top pin alignment. Too much to think about IMO.

What about an adjustable single pin?   I hear you on the to much to think about, but that comes with any long range shooting and especially hunting.  I find it interesting that the definition of long range in the east is half that of the western idea of long range.  If you practice enough tho you will be surprised at what todays stuff is capable of...especially rifles.   After you make enough trajectory adjustments and dope enough wind it begins to become second nature.  

You may have to look at other similar products that allow for alignment at different yardages.  Sounds like your current set up would be more suited for your style of shooting compared to the product I displayed.

I am set up the same way as you Justin. I also used to shoot competitively in 3D events, and had a toxonics single pin with a magnifier peep. It was great for tourneys, but pretty useless for hunting.

Many years ago I used a combination of a Jumbo Scope and ranging pins together to make a dual sighting system. The jumbo scope was like 2 power and had a huge magnifier glass in it about 3.5 inches diameter with a red cross hair on the glass. It could move up and down and windage. The range pins were set for the 15 25 35 yard shots. I aligned the 25 yard pin with the center of the cross hair in the jumbo scope and as long as those two were lined up, everything else was on target at 15 and 35. It worked well except I didn't like the blur factor of the jumbo scope. It wasn't good focus for the target. So I went to the halo site which gave me dual parallax heads up display of a red dot centered in two different size circles. The circles were like looking down a pipe or tunnel and when lined up evenly, the dot was on the point of impact of the arrow. Easy to set up but only a single yardage aim point. It also needed N batteries which are hard to find unless going to a pharmaceutical store that carried the batteries for certain medical data devices. It worked great for low light or in a blind as you could turn the intensity up or down. It did not project a laser beam on the target but superimposed it over the target for acquisition so it was legal for use as a sight.

I wanted more confidence in aiming at different ranges and the single aim point was an issue for me once on a nice buck which I misjudged distance of. Not enough time to range him and having the heavyweight arrows I used proved me wrong by 5 or 6 yards with a very near miss over the shoulder. So wanted something more intuitive as I'm holding the bow at the target. That's where the SABO gen 2 sight became interesting as it had the different aim points for different yardage up and running when holding the bow. Less to think about. Then what I needed was something to range with besides my laser ranger hanging on my hook at the tree. Something while I am holding the bow at the target..particularly an adult whitetail. So I got this little piece of adhesive rubber that came with fiber optic different color pieces that could be installed into the rubber and adjusted to the size of your game animal choice. It goes right inside the housing of the SABO sight and now can quickly check distance and aquire the correct aiming dot on the glass of the SABO. without moving, and looking at the target the whole time.

I used it last year and after setting it up it is easy to sight on a deer size target with confidence without measure of distance and hit the mark. Best part of the SABO and the Halo sight as well was you could see a flaw in your form before the shot. If you torqued the riser on your draw it would not line up the circles in the Halo or line up the red dots on the green line of the SABO. You knew that there was a form problem and it could be corrected in your draw and hold cycles.

The SABO is a great sight. Somewhat challenging to set up and looks a little fragile in some ways but it worked last year for me on several forays into the woods and up my lone wolf climber. Then took a very nice shot on a buck that was on the receiving end of a 454 grain arrow combination lead by a thunder head broadhead which stuck firmly in the dirt on the other side. 35 yards later and gut pile.

Mark

Cent frum my notso smart fone