Hemlock problems

Could anybody please give me some insight on how to pull out some big 'bows on Hemlock? I use downriggers and dipsys and spend hours not pulling up rainbows. I see them all at 40-55' but my lures just aren't appealing to them.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lots of things come in to play here... Speed?? Rainbows like a lot of action so if you not using suttons you need to run a bit fast 2.6 gps speed is a good place to start...

Spoons ?? I highly recommend Some bright colored Finger Lakes Tackle Co spoons in smaller but bright colors such as Overacker, Iron Duke and chicken feed spoons that they make..Some days the fish are extremely active and aggressive and dont mind the boat but a lot of times they stray from boat traffic so if you have some 5 or 7 color cores off in line church boards to get your lines away from the boat... When fishing for browns and bows stealthily is always a key factor. .. Hope some of this helps.. Here's a link to Finger Lakes Tackle.. http://www.fingerlakestackle.com/

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I do run the Suttons slower than everything else, but yes I definitely need to look into the FLT spoons. What about the great Lakes spoons? Are those the same but just bigger? Thank you for the advice I appreciate it

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You might also want to keep in mind that on most of the Finger Lakes many smallmouth bass suspend during Summer and Fall and frequently appear as rainbows when we are thinking "trout" and they usually don't respond well to the spoons.  Sometimes you can test out by running a 4 inch Rapala like stick bait in with your spoons (e.g. onmain downrigger line with a small cheater spoon above it and they may grab it and if rainbows they may as well. I use 8 ft long sliders nearly all the time and usually run the main line spoons about 30-50 ft back this time of the season.