Broadhead reviews

Legacy

The last few seasons i have shot Slick Trick 1" standards. I am currently shooting 100 grain slick trick 1 1/8" magnums. I made the switch to maintain the same arrow flight but a bit bigger cutting diameter.  http://www.slicktrick.net/  

Im looking for " the grass is greener" broadhead recommendations?

Dont let the other day get to you and start questioning things, unless theres something really wrong with your setup, and from the looks of things, youve got it going on and know your sh.... about archery and setting up your hunts etc, Personally I would stay with the Slick tricks, at least for this season, you dont want to be second guessing a new broadhead and sighting it in etc.  Ive killed some deer with these things, paint buckets being thrown down everywhere when its solid, and a couple of times a little work was involved, rain etc.  Everyone has there favorites though so be prepared for a number of different types.  Its the one that you feel most comforatble with.

Myself and three buddies all shoot rage 2blade and chisel tip and have great results ....now I have another set of friends who only shoot G5 fixed and they have the same results as us.....so I think it really comes down to what you want to shoot and how it shoots for you...I think in today's modern archery all the grass is the same color green

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by iceman05

They all work if you hit them where you're supposed to but for those times I'm off, there's no better confidence boost than knowing I just put a 2 1/2" hole in him with a Rage Extreme chisel tip. I've had some borderline hits that I'm sure with a conventional head I would never have found the deer.

Total Chaos

I have been a licensed tracker for deer for 7 years now. My dog and I average about 20-30 tracks a year. My opinion of expandables is: throw them out! They fail in flight, they fail in regards to penetration when they hit any part of the front shoulder. If you want to shoot em with an expandable through the guts wait twelve hours and call me we will find em. Lol! Go with fixed blades and make sure they are super super sharp! Check em for sharpness especially going in and out of your quiver. Good luck guys hope no one has to use us but we track day or night. Pm me if you need my number.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have been a licensed tracker for deer for 7 years now. My dog and I average about 20-30 tracks a year. My opinion of expandables is: throw them out! They fail in flight, they fail in regards to penetration when they hit any part of the front shoulder. If you want to shoot em with an expandable through the guts wait twelve hours and call me we will find em. Lol! Go with fixed blades and make sure they are super super sharp! Check em for sharpness especially going in and out of your quiver. Good luck guys hope no one has to use us but we track day or night. Pm me if you need my number.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I find this quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I shoot the rage 3 blade 1.5 inch. I like the rage because they give you the practice tips so you can get the same flight and really dial in your sights. With the fixed blades I had even with the same grain field points they wouldn't shoot the same. I shot a buck 2 years ago with the rage and had a huge exit wound. The doe I shot sunday had a good exit wound but only one blade expanded. Double lung and corner of heart so it didn't really matter but it's kind of alarming at the same time. As someone said it all comes down to shot placement in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I shoot the 1 3/8'' grim reapers out of my 60# hoyt maxxis 35 and have no complaints so far. They shoot identical to field points and penetration has been excellent. I shot the 2'' grim reaper white tail specials last year and had had one not pass through on a 20 yard shot on a buck last year that was quartering away, the arrow opened up and failed to exit through the opposite shoulder, the buck went down in less than 30 yards but that was enough for me to go to a smaller diameter, gotta have some power for the larger broad heads in my opinion.

this years doe with a 1 3/8 reaper, 20 yards broad side, ran 40 yards and piled up

post-149101-0-12488500-1413253427_thumb.jpg

I switched to slick tricks from muzzle and will not shoot anything else. Slick tricks work great out of my Strother sx1 at 67 lbs I am getting about 325 ft per sec. They fly true out to 80 yards may be farther. Have used them for two years now and they are great.

FISH ON ;)