True story.  Back in the 80's I was fishing for walleye at Kinzua Dam and they weren't hitting.  I went to Erie (they stocked Kings back then) and couldn't find a spot to fish along Elk Creek.  They were shoulder to shoulder and weren't catching anything.  Never having fished Kings, I just went a few hundred yards down along the lake shore and threw out an inflated nightcrawler on a sinker.  I started banging Kings and Cohos and had a crowd of people gathering asking me how I was catching them.  Ended up with a full cooler and then some.  The following week, the Erie Hotline said that salmon were being caught on crawlers! :)

Edited by Big Water

Problem with certain baits is the fact that you not only can catch your targeted fish but other "undesired" species.  This is what you have to decide for yourself.  Do you want to reel in 100 panfish/garbage fish for a chance at a few salmon/trout.  Worms are good in early spring when the water is still cold and keeps warm water fish more lethargic.  Fall is not necessarily bad but you have to be willing to catch other fish.  Last year, I caught a dozen blue gills and missed 1 salmon on a small jig.  Yes, new information. salmon hit jigs too.  So do blue gills.

Joe

Several years ago I was fishing a smaller stream in November that had a pool of large browns in it that had been hammered all day long by many good fisherman. To say the least no one caught a legal fish out of that hole. Later in the afternoon the only people left in that stretch of water was me and my buddy. I already knew those fish had been hammered all day long and the only way to possibly catch one leagally was to use a different bait than they had probably ever seen. I tie on a pink worm and it was like hitting the lottery. We caught 12 browns over 7 lbs and 2 were over 12 lbs. All those fish were males which I found interesting and were released.

I personally prefer to fly fish but when all else fails in an area you know has fish the pink worm will work when all else fails. For some unknown reason I've not had nearly as good of luck with a pink san juan worm as with a rubber worm

First off, this is the type of thread I love seeing on this site.  I'm not too proud to admit that I have learned so much from you folks and it's appreciated.  I headed to Mitchell's Bait and Tackle for some of these worms.  I have to give him a shout out.  Friendly, prompt and a terrific little shop.  I picked Eagle Claw pink trout worms and some number 10 razor sharp hooks.

Next I reread this thread and then watched everything I could on youtube on the topic.  I was skeptical after rigging it up but I casted into a trib anyway.  4 hours, 5 trout landed and at least dozen missed.  These things clearly outfished sacs on that day.  Since, I have narrowed it down to 2 presentations (one or the other with these worms or back to sacs).  A) Pink worm on that #10 hook, small shot, bobber.  B) Pink Worm on a "Jig In A Tube" chartreuse head, small shot and a bobber.  That little bit of chartreuse can make all the difference after a rain.  C) Put 'em away and go with sacs.

Last, thanks again to the fine fishermen and great writing I've seen through the years.  I'm a teacher in the city and take my students fishing often.  Make sure you take kids fishing even if you don't have any yourself.  It's saved me in many, many ways.  You could save a kid's life!!!!  Larry

First off, this is the type of thread I love seeing on this site.  I'm not too proud to admit that I have learned so much from you folks and it's appreciated.  I headed to Mitchell's Bait and Tackle for some of these worms.  I have to give him a shout out.  Friendly, prompt and a terrific little shop.  I picked Eagle Claw pink trout worms and some number 10 razor sharp hooks.

Next I reread this thread and then watched everything I could on youtube on the topic.  I was skeptical after rigging it up but I casted into a trib anyway.  4 hours, 5 trout landed and at least dozen missed.  These things clearly outfished sacs on that day.  Since, I have narrowed it down to 2 presentations (one or the other with these worms or back to sacs).  A) Pink worm on that #10 hook, small shot, bobber.  B) Pink Worm on a "Jig In A Tube" chartreuse head, small shot and a bobber.  That little bit of chartreuse can make all the difference after a rain.  C) Put 'em away and go with sacs.

Last, thanks again to the fine fishermen and great writing I've seen through the years.  I'm a teacher in the city and take my students fishing often.  Make sure you take kids fishing even if you don't have any yourself.  It's saved me in many, many ways.  You could save a kid's life!!!!  Larry

Excellent thread guys, and I couldn't agree more Larry, as my wife is a teacher also, so I can relate to your, take a kid fishing, I take different groups of 4 who wish to go fishing out on my boat, even if its small pan fish, those kids can't thank me enough. Even the troubled type kids have a whole different misdemeanor to them by the end of the trip and ask if we could do this again. I respond by if your grades are up and no visits to the office your welcome anytime I'm out, or we make plans to get out.