Too many hobbies?

Chas0218

Ok so when do you guys find you have too many hobbies? I really like to hunt and fish which consume most of my time during the fall and summer but the off season (winter) I don't have much I can do.  My wife and I are expecting our first child in Jan. so I won't be doing much ice fishing this year but instead was thinking of finding another hobby that would keep me indoors and within ear shot of the wife and baby.  

Any ideas?  I was thinking of rod building but wasn't sure if it would be more cost effective than buying them.  I would love to make some rods for bass fishing and planer rods for walleye trolling but need to know if the costs of starting up is worth it.

Thanks,

Chas

making money. you will need all you can. congratulations on the new addition. or stock piling sleep too! :P

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks! I figured if I get into a hobby that has a little higher start-up cost I can swing it before the kid gets here. 

I started wine making a few years ago. You live in the best part of the country for that. Very rewarding and addicting .

I never thought of that.  We have a press already. That is a good idea.

Ok so when do you guys find you have too many hobbies? I really like to hunt and fish which consume most of my time during the fall and summer but the off season (winter) I don't have much I can do.  My wife and I are expecting our first child in Jan. so I won't be doing much ice fishing this year but instead was thinking of finding another hobby that would keep me indoors and within ear shot of the wife and baby.  

Any ideas?  I was thinking of rod building but wasn't sure if it would be more cost effective than buying them.  I would love to make some rods for bass fishing and planer rods for walleye trolling but need to know if the costs of starting up is worth it.

Thanks,

Chas

I started building rods a few years ago. The start up isn't too bad if you stick to basic tools and equipment. Get the hand wrapper to start instead of the power wrapper, etc. I never really saved anything over buying the rods, but the rods were better quality than what are normally for sale. Better quality guides, reel seats etc. You also get personalized rods built to your preferences that are one of a kind. I originally bought a starter kit for about $110.00 that had the basics with an instructional video on the basic steps. Add to that a drill for turning cork handles and some basic low cost tools and supplies and you are up and running. Mudhole.com is an excellent source for materials and tools.

I will give you a good deal on my name " Has Been". I choose  that name after  I put my boat in the barn for 6 years due to me kids activities I was a huge part of. Glad I did but my lake fishing suffered.  Have to find places you can go for an hour of so .

About 4 years ago I told  my kids in no uncertain terms " It's Dad time now".

Edited by Has Been

Yea, I have to agree with the other guys posts stating that the new born will be a full time new hobbie, having twin girls I really don't remember the first 3 months, it's just a blurr, getting up every 3 hours to feed them, and changing diapers ect. I couldn't agree more with taking up sleeping as new hobbie might be your best bet. All I herd was just wait you ain't seen nothing yet and those folks where right, now they are 10 and into sports and playing instruments, so it's a constant running here running there. One a better note congrats to you and your wife. This will be life changing experience, trust me on this, I know first hand!!

Two years ago I won an Okuma four piece rod and a center pin reel and I have never used them.  They are both brand new and I haven't bought line for the reel yet.  Between ice fishing and rabbit hunting in the winter, I don't think I need another hobby to get into.  I have spent so much money on salmon tackle, boat equipment and trolling gear and everything else, I don't need another expense.  My wife has no idea how much money I have tied up in fishing. 

Work on your education:  Try learning to read out loud, especially children's book.  Become a pro at remodeling...start with repainting the baby's room then child proof everything.  Learn to assemble baby furniture & fix broken toys...There'll be a real need for that. Become a gourmet cook...well, maybe not gourmet but anything more that hot dogs & eggs. Definitely take some time to find out where all the dishes and pans go...after you master washing them.  Study the grocery adds so you know when to go shopping and can get good deals.  Wash & put about an inch of wax on your vehicle cuz colder days are coming and it may not warm up for another 5-6 months. :)

Congratulations.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

P.S. Ask Ray K for directions to that Amish store.

take up bowling I know it takes you out of the house but in a couple years you can start getting the kids into it something you can share with them in the colder months untill they build up the tolerance to ice fish.  its also a great hobby to do with your wife when the kid is old enough to go to a sitter for a couple hours once a week.  Trust me it wont take long before your ready for just a couple hours a week alone with the wife.  first kid it may take longer to convince her but if you have a second it wont take near as long.  

Get a backpack for toddlers with storage underneath. My kids rode on my back for river steelies and muskies from age 1-3. The extra exercise offsets part of the daddy belly. And a quiet house makes mommy happy while you get to go fishing with your mini me.

Edited by ReelPower

Get your hunting and fishing in now before your new hobby kicks in "Fatherhood". Your perspective on alot of things in life will change. Congratulations, will be looking forward to posts from you in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Enjoy the hobbies you already have when you have the time and help out your wife as much as you can. Best advice I can give is to enjoy as much time as you possibly can with your little one. Everyone has probably been telling you how fast it goes but until you're living it you have no idea. My son is now 17 months, and he's an absolute riot. At the same time I'll admit that I got a little teary eyed watching some videos of him on my phone from his first few weeks the other day. Life goes crazy fast!

Edited by overthelimit

I think as far as hobbies go, I made beer in my basement.  I also gained weight.  The real problem is going to be working on your relationship with your wife.  I can count on one hand the number of date nights we had in a two year stretch.  After a while most of your hobbies will be spectator at all of their events.  As I see grey hair creeping in on my face and head, I know what happened to my parents.  Get your Lifestyle fun in now - it will soon change forever.  This will be the greatest thing you ever do.  All of the other stuff fails in comparison.  Don't screw it up! (no pressure)

Congratulations,

Joe

Haha reading all these posts made me realize I will soon not have to worry about spare time and a lot of my hobbies will be adjusted to say the least.  Looks like I have my work cut out for me! haha thanks everyone we're looking forward to this new chapter in our lives.  I like the high chair idea, and the backpack I will need to keep a few of these in the back of my mind.

I think as far as hobbies go, I made beer in my basement.  I also gained weight.  The real problem is going to be working on your relationship with your wife.  I can count on one hand the number of date nights we had in a two year stretch.  After a while most of your hobbies will be spectator at all of their events.  As I see grey hair creeping in on my face and head, I know what happened to my parents.  Get your Lifestyle fun in now - it will soon change forever.  This will be the greatest thing you ever do.  All of the other stuff fails in comparison.  Don't screw it up! (no pressure)

Congratulations,

Joe

X2, isn't that the truth, my girls just said, dad your mustache is getting grey on the ends, the other day I went to the barber and Emily said, man dad that guy really went to town on the top of your head, I told her no that's what having twins does to your hair it falls out. LOL. Very nicely said BS. Nice post!!