lighted nock reviews

Legacy

the topic of discussion today is "lighted nocks"...

Its looking like Im about to add Nockturnal Lighted Nocks to my quiver.  I think anything that helps you know shot placement and also helps you find your arrow after the shot is a big plus. 

you guys hunting with them? 

yes or no? are they worth the money?

suggested brands?

problems?

other advantages?

Love the Nockturnals and I've been using them for three years.

1.)  I wear glasses and in low light when I'm squinting and target shooting they help me see my arrows in the target much better.

2.) When hunting, last year they helped me retrieve a deer I shot that I was tracking after dark

3.) My only problem, is the inserts are just a little loose (I shoot Carbon Express Pile Drivers) and the nock fell out on impact when I shot a deer two years ago (ther'e no glue). Thus, I put one wrap of scotch tape on the nock and they are much more snug and don't fall out anymore

4.) Only other problem is they are toast after you shoot a deer (especially a pass through) b/c the blood will get in the nock and it dries and then they don't seem to work as good.

Since it helped me retrieve a deer last year, I will remain faithful to them.

Good luck,

Chris

I also use Nockturnal nocks. Switched from Luminocks 3 years ago and glad I did. Much better product. 5 deer with them so far and no problems. Wash them up and reuse. Last year in Illinois I shot a nice buck but couldn't find the arrow. Went back at night and found it in seconds. I use green as I feel it works better in brighter conditions. Mid day and the orange doesn't do you much good but the green shows up nice.

Total Chaos

the topic of discussion today is "lighted nocks"...

Its looking like Im about to add Nockturnal Lighted Nocks to my quiver.  I think anything that helps you know shot placement and also helps you find your arrow after the shot is a big plus. 

you guys hunting with them? 

yes or no? are they worth the money?

suggested brands?

problems?

other advantages?

Yup have been using them for 4 seasons

Yes YES YES I have shot numerous deer with them and seeing the shot placement allowed me to tell how long I should give the deer.

Nocturnal have been my go to, I have tried luminocks and were hit or miss and died quickly

These really shine (no pun intended) at last light shots.  These will always be in my quiver.

Nockturnals all the way!  I use them and I also work somewhere where we sell both Nockturnal and Lumenock.  The lumenocks come back regularly with issues such as not turning on, or sporadic function, not lasting very long, etc.  The nockturnals have just been a good quality product, hence the reason they are on my arrows. 

So, yes I use them.  Yes, they are worth every penny.  Nockturnals are the best.  The only issue with them is you have to turn them off by pushing the plunger back up, which I use the tip of a field point, broadhead (depending on style), or a pocket knife.  I've used a stick, I've used a ton of things, it's really not an issue for me.  The advantage of nockturnals is that they are reliable, consistent, and durable.

The advantage of having a lighted nock is obviously quick recognition of arrow placement, finding an arrow after the shot (or even the deer if it doesn't pass through).

One thing that people don't think of usually is follow through.  It is important to follow through while shooting a bow.  Having that laser beam coming out of your bow will keep your eye fixed on the arrow until it hits the target and that will in turn lower the chance of you dropping your arm at the shot.  You want to watch your arrow through your sights all the way to the target and keep your arm up.  When I'm setting up a new archer or someone with a new bow and I see they have an issue with follow through, this is one way I can get them to consistently follow through.  Most people I just have to explain they need to focus on the target until the arrow hits, but if they are having problems, a lighted nock helps.  I know it helps me follow through.  

I also had one on an arrow for 3D league over the winter so I shot it at least 7-8x/week for three months, and I left it on over night more than once and the thing still lights up.  It isn't the brightest one I have, but it still turns on.  

Unlike Chris, I haven't had any issues with cleaning off the nocks and reusing them.

Nocturnals are the only Rage product I will use! They are great.

From what I have "HEARD" the green ones will last 50hrs and the other colors only last something like 16hrs. Not sure if its completely true but sometimes to think about. I shoot the red and have not had an issue yet.

Edited by JakeyBaby

Love the Nockturnals and I've been using them for three years.

1.)  I wear glasses and in low light when I'm squinting and target shooting they help me see my arrows in the target much better.

2.) When hunting, last year they helped me retrieve a deer I shot that I was tracking after dark

3.) My only problem, is the inserts are just a little loose (I shoot Carbon Express Pile Drivers) and the nock fell out on impact when I shot a deer two years ago (ther'e no glue). Thus, I put one wrap of scotch tape on the nock and they are much more snug and don't fall out anymore

4.) Only other problem is they are toast after you shoot a deer (especially a pass through) b/c the blood will get in the nock and it dries and then they don't seem to work as good.

Since it helped me retrieve a deer last year, I will remain faithful to them.

Good luck,

Chris

Take the nock and place it in a plastic bag, press the nock into the shaft with the plastic bag still around the nock.  I had to do this on one of my arrows and regular nocks.  It will be just enough to take up the extra room and fit snug.

It might take a couple tries but works great.

Good thread! I used luminock when they first came out. They WERE good. Not so much now as I have had problems with the new ones lighting on my Cabela's carbon hunter shafts (Beman ICS supplier's) and had to trim them with abrasives paper to get them in the shaft.

Do the nocturnal brand not have contact wires relying on carbon material making contact on string thrust? So the plastic bag trick sounds like a good fix idea for loose fit! Better loose and do that than tight and guess on sanding tight ones. I will try the nocturnal brand since not much luck with luminock lately.

Mark

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Good thread! I used luminock when they first came out. They WERE good. Not so much now as I have had problems with the new ones lighting on my Cabela's carbon hunter shafts (Beman ICS supplier's) and had to trim them with abrasives paper to get them in the shaft.

Do the nocturnal brand not have contact wires relying on carbon material making contact on string thrust? So the plastic bag trick sounds like a good fix idea for loose fit! Better loose and do that than tight and guess on sanding tight ones. I will try the nocturnal brand since not much luck with luminock lately.

Mark

Cent frum my notso smart fone

The nocturnals have a small shaft that is pressed into the nock by the string when the arrow is released. The tighter they fit the better.

Edited by Chas0218

Thanks for all of info guys. I took a ride to the new Field and Stream store in Henrietta today and purchased some Nocturnal lighted nocks. I put them on a brand new set of carbon express piledrivers. After a slight pin adjustment, which I believe was related to heavier fetching on the new arrows, they seem to shoot virtually the same as my standard nocks.10, 20, 30, 40 yards.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-14134067081935_thumb.jpg

I dont think lighted nocks will help you kill anymore deer at all, but they are worth there weight in gold as far as finding your arrows which saves time and money.  I never liked bowhunting on field edges as I didnt want a broadhead in a haybale, but with lighted nocks losing arrows just doesnt happen.   As far as knowing shot placement goes I learned a long time ago everybody sees what they want to see.  I cant count the number of lost deer stories Ive heard that started with I hit him perfect (many were me before I learned what perfect is)....when in reality if they did hit em perfect he'd be dead and would have been found quickly.  If you struggle to find deer you are doing something wrong!