Cayuta Lake stocking

Bigfoot

Cayuta Lake (371 acres) in Schuyler County was the subject of an angler survey during 2012 and 2013. Survey results indicate a walleye catch rate of only 0.1 per hour, significantly lower than the DEC's goal of 0.25 per hour. DEC hopes to improve this situation by increasing walleye fingerling stockings to 20 per acre every other year.

The lake will continue to be managed as a trophy fishery, with an 18 inch size limit on 'eyes.

So if my math is right you have to fish ten hours to catch one... I fished it twice this year for eyes, zero.. the water is always murky at best and there is little to no cover or contours to the lake. The fishing pressure is fairly high also. I think the lake just isn't a great ecosystem for eyes. IMO.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've heard that there is a small, dedicated group of locals that really clean up there after dark. Oh, and I should mention that they are tight lipped about there success/tactics.

I've also read that Cayuta has a high sawbelly population resulting in well fed fat walleyes that just aren't very hungry.

Well the max depth there was like 28' when I trolled there. I marked a few fish that could have been eyes but I did not mark any bait, not that it wasn't there... I saw other guys trolling there also, yes some locals probably have their techniques and spots but the lake is not that big. Hope they do increase the numbers. I would also add that it used to be filthy with crappie, now not so much...

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ill bet its about like trying to catch em on Otisco....you wont get any numbers unless you put in extensive time...ie locals bite...or someone like me who has a seasonal place.  In summer those fish will be glued to the bottom if its only 28 feet deep...after dark Ill bet its not that tough tho....and in spring early summer Ill bet its lights out from 12-3 am with a bomber blue prism.  The catch rate during the alewife spawn should be over 1 if you are doing it right, and it doesnt matter the density as even on a lake the size of Owasco that doesnt have alot of eyes they are still not hard to catch if you know how.  Put your trolling motor down and hunt them with your ears.  During the day I wouldnt bother unless you can put TONS of time in trolling and enjoy beating your head against a wall!  

Maybe I'll try it again next year, never had much luck there but I didn't really know what I was doing, despite some good tips from a local.  It's been 10 years since that conversation though and I forgot the details by now.  As stated most guys won't talk about it though.  It's only 15 minutes away but it gets pretty weedy and it's small.  Most people have told me the spring is the way to go.  Best luck I've had was ice fishing where I got bit off three times in a row by something big, never saw it.

Justin, If you and I lived out there between Cayuta and Conesus, we'd be having a ball with those eye's. As he said, and like I always said,  fishing eyes fed on alewives ain't no riddle. while those alewife are in shore at night spawning those walleyes will be gulping them down. Fish with your ears boys and ride the surface, youll catch em like bass on jitterbugs. sometimes in less than 2 foot of water!

and Bigfoot, you wont like em anyway cause just like Owasco, they won't taste good to ya!  ;)   I had some lastnight from Owasco and they were Awesome!!!!!!!!

I've heard that there is a small, dedicated group of locals that really clean up there after dark. Oh, and I should mention that they are tight lipped about there success/tactics.

I've also read that Cayuta has a high sawbelly population resulting in well fed fat walleyes that just aren't very hungry.

This is what I have heard as well.  I have only seen one walleye in my time there (during the day) but I was bass fishing. They are tight lipped because they are walleye fisherman and that the lake has a narrow area of preferred walleye fishing.  Yes, if you want to catch them - after dark.

MHO: The alewive pop is not nearly as dense as it is on Conesus and I have not yet fished Otisco.  This lake (habitat, fish) resembles closer to Honeoye - just smaller.

Joe