Seneca DEC gill net catch today

Today I decided to go try some new lures and colors I had made up last week. Been itching to go, but too busy. So after it rained a while, I decided to hitch the boat and go solo. When I arrived at the launch the DEC was sorting their gill nets they had just pulled. The DEC marine navigation team also showed up as I was launching my boat. I had some pretty interesting conversation with both groups. Glad I decided to go today.  Here are some pics of the fish they caught. 

post-154630-0-99147000-1413415616_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-50381300-1413415741_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-61808700-1413415785_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-59865400-1413415832_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-67346500-1413415882_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-40666100-1413415928_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-47834200-1413415965_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-56699400-1413416011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Over the last 30 years Iv'e seen them gill net several times. The purpose is to get an idea of the health of the fishery. They often target northern pike in the spring. Iv'e seen some huge northern pike catch's. They had 2 different nets today. One was small diameter and the other was bigger. I'm guessing they were 25 ft long. possibly longer. As far as what they do with the fish, I called the Schuyler county building and got an employee to take some to workers there. The others were given to other township and village employees. One of the fella's that was on the DEC crew is a member here. If he see's the post, he may have more to offer regarding their purpose for netting. I arrived when they were busy and had been out in the rain all day. I was curious, but at the same time, didn't want to be a bother to them. 

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Yes, it was Seneca,  I'm not offering the location, since i'm fishing a tourny there next weekend. As far as lamprey's, I did not see one mark on them. Again, I didn't ask a bunch of questions. All I wanted to know was some basic info and where the nets were. That much I do know! 

I figured some would know, but I don't want to be dodging traffic the 26th, so, i'm not advertising it. Pretty skinny water, and not much of it to go around. See you next sun? If you know where they were, then you know where I will be. Unless it changes by then. Good luck, fishing is getting pretty good lately. 

I recommend getting to know the techs that do the work on your home lake...they have some good info and are willing to share.  My contact actually emails me with info and has come to visit me  twice at camp this summer.  Once when asked and once just to stop and fill me in on oxygen levels, gill netting results, and electrofishing.  As for a few fish from a lake the size of Seneca I wouldnt worry.  You cant expect them to stock the lake, manage it, and not take a few fish for various reasons.  

Redeye,

Do you do Otisco's buoys too?  If so I have a few ideas that would really help us boaters and fisherman in the causeway area.  Id even go out and help too....

Yeah. Those fish are spread out. Even hitting flat lines too! That's what great this time of year. The perch guys are getting on the action too! That's also why there is so many pike near by...

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No, their not for sale yet. I just got an air brush and have been teaching myself to use one. This was my first go at trying it out. The mullet blue came out awesome! I got a bunch more drying and more variations as well. Still having base coat, top coat issues, but I think I got a solution to the problem. 

Looking for some field testers to run lures. I can keep you full of lures and paint anything you can come up with. Pm me for details. I know its late in the year, but i'm looking forward to next year.