New regs

I got an email from steve about the new regulations being considered and the open comment period. Prior to happy hour tonight i wrote to the dec with my two cents. If i hadn't joined muskies inc. i would not have even known about it. If you fish for muskie join the group. If you're a member take a few minutes and voice your opinion.

Love most of the new rules like 40" inland minimum and 54 in Lake O/St Lawrence. but absolutely think opening the season end of May is a big mistake. Shoot even now at 3rd Sat in June the fish are stressed out from spawning or not even done some years. I really am surprised that fishery biologists would recommend opening the season early. I think they got everything right but that. Is Muskies Inc in favor of this or against opening early?

Is the early season for inland waters only? Great lakes stay the same?

Edited by BP Swing

I believe the early opener is for inland waters only- since they are supported by stocking and there is little to no natural reproduction. Maybe someone else will chime in that is more familiar with the proposals. Agreed that great lakes waters should remain 3rd sat in june to protect spawning fish- looks like the plan is to keep the season on great lakes the same

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by JOE ESOX

The early season is for inland waters only. Muskies in those waters are primarilly maintained by stocking. Although there is some evidence of naturral reproduction in those waters, the spawning takes place earlier than in the great lakes since waters warm up earlier. This was the reasoning behind the season change.