browns in spring!

NEED HELP PLEASE !Hello, fishing friends, just a few questions for a new comer to the fishery, what size line do you use . do you run fluorocarbon leaders?WHAT KIND OF SPOONS WOULD BE GREAT STARTERS.AND DO YOU PUT SPLIT RINGS ON SPOONS OR A SWIVEL.If i launch out of mexico bay state launch where is a good starting point. also is oswego better for spring browns?

Edited by ironanglerx2

i am new to this also,but have put my time in so this what we did this past year that worked for us.we used 25 lb main line mono and leadered down to 12 lb mono.mostly smaller sized spoons,but always have a mag out there,carmle dolphin worked the best for us,but you need a good assortment of colors as things change day to day.we run the spoons how they come out of the package and always use a snap swivel.also,we ran a mix of spoons and sticks and found that one day sticks work and the next day its spoons.we did best from catfish creek out to high rocks,but fished anywhere from little salmon to big salmon and from little salmon to the plant.as always the wind has alot to do with where you fish.cover alot of ground and when you get one work that area hard.im sure the guys that have spent alot more time out there will have more in depth info,but this is a  basic set up to get you started.

Lots of great fisherman on here so I'm sure you will get tons of info, but here is some of the basic stuff that we usually do.

Look for the color line and run it.  We usually have better luck on the edge of the green and brown water. We never do that well running in the mud.

12# mono leadered down to 8 or 10# floro on light rods.  They are browns not kings.

run a mix of spoons (stinger size)  and sticks ( Jr thundersticks, rapalas, challengers, etc.. and react to what the fish tell you

Run planer boards to get most of your presentations away from the boat

Usually have better luck with spoons off the rigger lines on long setbacks down 5-10 ft  depending on the depth we are fishing

If you run spoons off the boards put a split shot 4-5 ft in front of the spoon to keep it under the water and to help keep the lure weed free

Colors:  Sticks: firetiger, chart/white, blue/white, black/silver, blue/silver, brown/gold, rainbow trout, brown trout

Spoons: Alewife, Chicken wing, SSW, Mixed veggies, glow frog, monkey puke

FIND THE WARMER WATER :yes:

Just a start but hope it helps.

Yup. I run 20 lbs mono leadered to 10 or 12 floro. No need to go down to 6 or 8 IMO. Sticks off the planers in 8-10 ft. As the fish slide out deeper I change over to spoons. Leadcore rocked last year! 3-color cores were hot!! And as the season progressed: 5-10 colors. And 150-200 coppers.

"is that 150 to 200 feet of copper out or down." - out :)

When I think of browns in the Spring (regardless of where) I think light line (12 lb test) mainline and a 10 lb fluoro leader about 20 ft long with a very small black ball bearing swivel tied into the leader about 4 ft up from the lure and the lure connected by a very small duo lock snap for spoons and sticks alike. Sometimes a couple large size split shot placed a few inches above the swivel (toward the rod side) above helps to keep things down a bit  and also may keep grass from the lure especially with jointed Rapala type lures. Forget the split shot in real shallow (less than 6 or 8 ft.). Run your lines as far away from the boat as practical (e.g. depending on boat traffic etc.) or run on boards out long and constantly move them in and out along the shoreline. Run your stuff right up near the shoreline when conditions permit (light levels, wind direction, boat traffic, or obvious snags etc.)Try to find the warmest water you can. Fish your stuff in and out of any mud lines or "scum lines" and fish the inside edges of any thermal bars you encounter. Look for birds and bait and fish there back and forth. Continually monitor and modify your boat speed and try   different things like "s" turns start and stops (when out deeper or using just floating lures), and even rock your boat back and forth if in a smaller one to impart different action to your lures. With downriggers use longer leads than usual when in shallow (e.g. 50 ft or more back)

Edited by Sk8man

• 1 month later...

We use 10 lb line.

Spoons off the riggers 3-4 ft down, 100 back, and 2 sticks off each side on the boards about 75 ft off the side, at 125 and 150 back.

Look for even 1-2 degrees warmer water.

We fished  last two weeks of April  last year  and caught  30-60 per day  almost all species got to a point of putting on a stick that we could not get a fish ti hit, We used almost all  thunderstick jr  with spoons on the riggers.We also got our share of spring kings fishing in water from 6-20 feet  100-150 bak  on boards  12lb test   with     8 or 10 lb leader   trolling the mud lines  when they were there and otherwise   a zig zag troll. I was very surprised to see  so few boats out there with the fishing the way it was.For sure I will be there  starting about  April 19th  this coming  year. There are many good  people on this site  and offer great info   just  absorb it all. 

I use 30# mono and a 20- 30# floro leader get bites and don't loose fish never know what you are going to get hit by in the spring could be king, brown, chrome or laker this past spring caught only browns when I was out but we lost some kings at the back of the boat and had one fish on I could not gain line on that got off on us

I use 30# mono and a 20- 30# floro leader get bites and don't loose fish never know what you are going to get hit by in the spring could be king, brown, chrome or laker this past spring caught only browns when I was out but we lost some kings at the back of the boat and had one fish on I could not gain line on that got off on us

You sure that wasn't a rock? If you're getting bit with any type of numbers using that heavy of a line I'd imagine you're fishing heavily stained water.

Even if you run into a king 12 lb test works fine if you use your boat and have the drag set properly. The primary reason for using the 30 lb "rope" is because of the fleas anf they are not usually a problem real early in the season.

Edited by Sk8man

If you are new & want to get in the game, Early April just after Ice out is the time  till mid  May. Fishing the shoreline for browns is  easy ,you don't need a lot of stuff to do it & put fish in the boat. A handfull of shallow stickbaits & any of your spin or casting rods w/ 8-12# mono will work.  If you have boards, all the better . If you don't, long line a few rods back 150-250' behind the boat in 5-12' of water. Look for the stained or warmer water from creekmouths.Don't forget the net as I did my fist time. Good luck.