Off Topic..Rod choice?

I usually always fish with my fly rod this type of year but i want to buy a spining rod outfit for river steelies and salmon.  Any ideas on a nice spining rod/spinning reel with a nice smooth drag?  There are so many choices.

Thanks

If you're gonna be float fishing, and you're familiar with one, try a baitcaster. I used a spinning reel for steel this week for the first time in 12 years or so. It's a LOT of work to float with a spinning reel. Way tougher than I rember. If you're bottom bouncing, the other guys nailed it. The Fish Eagle will serve you well and won't break the bank.

No, but it will probably break. I've had 4 fish eagle II rods of various sizes and actions over the years and all 4 of them broke, so I gave up on them. Never broke any other rods in my life other than the one I closed a car door on, never while fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Two different fish two different rods.  You could get a rod thats okay for both or you could get a great rod for steel and a great rod for salmon.  I would not fish any rod under 11'6 for steelhead.  Running 6 lb main and 4 lb leader you are going to want a nice long rod to absorb some of the line shock and the longer rod just makes for an easier drag free drift. Run this same rod setup for salmon and you just dont have the backbone to land these 20+ pound fish and if you run a heavier shorter rod on steelhead that you use for salmon your presentation and success is going to suffer drastically.  My preference is Fenwick and at the bottom of my list is Okuma.

• 2 months later...

I suppose you've made your choice since this post but jus in case, here are a few questions you need to ask yourself.

- How much do you want to spend? Don't forget to consider the reel in addition to the rod, you can have a great rod but if your reel sucks, the fishing experience with it will suck too

- What type of tackle do you want to use?

- What kind of fishing do you consider? From a boat, from a dock, strolling allong the river?

- Which fishing method do you want to do?

In any case, you cannot be wrong with a Tenryu Super mix evolution, but you gotta count +/- 600€, around 830 CAD

Tim, how much are you willing to spend?  I have a Raven rod, so do many of the guys I fish with, they are GREAT!

But will set you back around $250.

Mark

Mark,

I have a Sheffield float rod now, it's a little heavy, but does a good enough job.  I've had and still use a Browning Syntec 10.5 Noodle rod with a Quantum Energy Spinning Reel that I've had for a long time and it is awesome, it's a shame Browning doesn't make them any more, I'd grab a couple spares.  I've just found that those Cabelas Fish Eagle II rods were great to fish with, but very fragile.  I've had everything from ultralight perch sticks to M/H Steelhead/Salmon spinning rods in the FEII and every one of them has broken.