cormorants

john1947

Have good news.these birds now feast mostly on gobies.we have a bunch here now could use another squadron for all those ugly gobies biolgist reportsgobies top diet now , no wonder thebass maysoon rebound

These situations are always a "mixed blessing". The cormorants are very bad polluters of water (feces) and they eat massive amounts of bait as well. They are hated in most salt water environments and places with fresh water ponds such as Cape Cod. Sometimes they mess up the pond water so bad that swimming is about impossible.

Glad to see you back les.How was your trip?The smallies realy turned on lately surprised so few are out fishing for them.But the lake is way down again wondering whether Ill need to have it pulled to save on the truck

Thanks John. Had a wonderful trip out west, Didn't get to fish for tuna this time because my buddy's mother-in-law died so maybe next time. I know what you mean about

the water level over there....a couple years ago we barely made it out of the launch at Sodus near Arney's (especially where guys had "power loaded").  I imagine guys are fishing for the perch in the bay around now but a bunch are probably after the ducks and bow hunting. One of the reasons I gave up hunting....pretty much have the lakes to yourself at this time of year :lol:

So gobies are a blessing after a fashion.

The browns love them and the lakers and Atlantics love them while at the same time providing them with the right diet that enables them to succesfully reproduce. Long live the Gobi!

Yea, and if the commerants get over populated its a lot easier to control than the gobies. It would be nice to see a major decrease in the gobie population just so the natural reproduction of the other species don't get all there eggs ate up as fast as there coming out. For me it sickens me that the small mouth and walleye eggs get preyed upon like they do. I watched a show called Invasive Species of the Great Lakes and they showed the gobies just devouring the eggs of the small mouth. The lake bottom was just crawling with gobies, they gave a number like 5 gobies per 3ft square, the female smallies were exhausting themselves just trying to protect their nest. It's BAD we really need all the help we can get to rid of a good amount of the gobie population. I have the honor of being the gobie king on my boat, I caught one 9"s

Edited by pap