Remington Hypersonic shell questions

EYE SPY

I have some questions/ concerns regarding these shells and if anyone has experience with them in a situation similar to mine. Im shooting a 870, 28" barrel with a factory flush mount modified choke. I've been shooting 3in. black clouds 1 1/4oz BBs and 2's for geese and passing ducks(on a recommendation). Still being fairly green at the game, I wasn't impressed with my pattern but was still killing a few birds. Recently I purchased a box of the Remingtons in 3in. 1 1/8oz in BB because I couldn't find 2s. Last weekend I shot a few at some birds at around 30-45yds. I was much happier with the results and am willing to deal with the extra recoil that accompanies them. My question is general safety and reliability of these shells through my gun. I've read a few reviews trying to get the answer but wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for. Basically im trying to make sure this doesn't potentially damage the gun and more importantly myself. The reason for my concern is reading a few reports saying it could be damaging due to the velocity of the shells and certain choke combos. The instances and setups weren't identical to mine which is why im looking for further opinions. Im not looking to start a brand war or anything, just some opinions from those who may have better insight than what I could find. Thanks ahead of time.....

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have not shot those shells, prefer to stick to the less expensive shells. However my 870 regardless of shell being shot did not like to kill birds with a mod choke, full for pass shooting would take the beak off a goose and improved for decoying birds would kill them, the mod choke wounded them

Sent from my LGLS990 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Shooting the high velocity shells like that I wouldn't want to shoot bigger than twos and no tighter than mod. My gun patterns far better with an IC and 2s the faster shells could also just be helping with the lead on the birds...

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here's a couple rules for steel shot and waterfowl....

1. It's possible to over choke steel shot-- especially with bigger shot. Improved cylinder will give you the best patterns at "killing ranges".

2. Although "speed kills" there is such a thing as too fast. Most shot sizes have a max effective speed right around 1300-1400 fps. Any faster than that and you will have football sized holes in your pattern.

3. Contrary to popular belief, and what the know it all at the ramp told you, ducks cannot be effectively killed CONSISTENTLY, beyond 45 yards. You can get lucky and make an occasional "long one" but you will miss or wound FAR more than you kill.

4. Spending $30 or more on a box of shells to burn at ducks is just a waste of money. Buy " good" factory ammo and leave the "special" crap to the googans on tv that get it free!

Just my opinion after 37 years of killing ducks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I've tried a lot of different shells but always end up going back to winchester HV bb's for geeese, 3's for ducks. 3'' for both. Most important thing to do is sit down with various shells and shoot paper and see what patterns best out of YOUR gun with the choke you intend on using. All guns throw shot different.

Excellent advice from Capt. Paul.

I probably go through at least a case of ammo every season. Ive shot just about every brand of ammo on the market (including  the Hypersonic rounds you speak of). They really recoil like a mule, bu they patterend like garbage. The best patterning rounds out of my 870 were the Kent 3 1/2 #3 steel ...Improved...   For popcorn ducks I usually just stick with 3" . When diver hunting I might change the choke to Mod, but the patterning seems to hold real nice.

My person opinion is save your money, find a good steel load that works and shoot birds that are closer. I shoot 3 1/2 in mags rounds quite a bit in January, but I still matain the self dicipline to keep my shots 30 yards and closer for quick kills.