Perch Search

Pete Collin

Hello All,

One of these days I want to make a real effort to learn how to catch perch in the finger lakes.  I have a question about how you find them.  Do you rely on your sonar?  In the past I have seen big schools teeming in the relative shallows.   In the Fingers, the water is often pretty clear.  Do you drive around until you see some before you start casting?

Pete

www.pcforestry.com

I usually start by drifting threw an area. If it is good I will drift it again. If I find a small area that is hot I will throw a bouy out and come back and anchor there. If I am in an area I do not fish often I will use my ff to look at an area. Which lake are you interested in learning.

Have to agree with Sean. Only 60 miles from Portageville which makes the ride doable. I drive 110 and believe me, it is worth it. We limited 5 out of 6 times we went this fall. The big problem is the wind. Got to look for an offshore wind otherwise forget it.

Never fished Otisco at all, but pretty good perch can be caught in all the other fingers. I also include Silver. Not officially a finger lake, but I won't be up on charges for calling it one... :thinking: .. Haven't tried it for many years but Conesus used to have great jacks in it that were not tricky to catch. In softwater season, simply drifting in 6-20fow over weedy areas (north and south ends of any r good) will pick up a variety of fish which usually means some perch. Use any kind of worm or small minnows or leeches. Or jigs with grub tails or almost any other soft plastic type works. With this u will often get bass, pike or pikerel and any other "sunny" type like rockies and crappie in the mix.....and occasionally an 'eye if they r in the lake. Trying to get perch predominantly takes a little more place (lake, lake section, ff use) and timing (to better pinpoint schooling movements) precision. This of course means more time on the water. Hardwater perching is often easier for targeting and getting those perch (to me).

Edited by panfisher

• 1 month later...

I fish Seneca for perch without a boat this time of year thru the spring when I want them and normally do great around the pier and docks in Seneca harbor when they get in there they are there by the thousands you will see them carpeting the bottom so thick you can not see the bottom don't know how it is doing right now but they should be at least starting to come in there now

I fish Seneca for perch without a boat this time of year thru the spring when I want them and normally do great around the pier and docks in Seneca harbor when they get in there they are there by the thousands you will see them carpeting the bottom so thick you can not see the bottom don't know how it is doing right now but they should be at least starting to come in there now

And now their will fishermen by the thousands......