.308 Ammo

I just purchased a Savage .308 and I'm in the process of getting it sighted in. I understand the whole different rounds have different accuracy. My question is what type of round allows for maximum expansion?  I'm leaning towards the Federal Match Gold Medal boat-tail Hollow point in 168 grains.

Thanks for any information......Matt

Not that one. They use Sierra match kings, they work like a full metal jacket. A 308 will not expand them. If you want alot of expansion use cheap soft points or a noseler ballistic tip. If you want controlled expansion you will need to use a load that uses a premium bullet like a barns , nosler accubond, hornady sst or stx something inline with those. I reload so I cannot tell you off hand what brand and what type to use. I would use one with nosler ballistic tip. They work good all around. If you have any other questions pm me.

Depends Matt. Where do you want the expansion to max out on what type of game. Hollow points good for explosive fast expansion not for eating (varmints). Deer and bigger soft point core lock partition 150 to 180 grain.

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Most devastating explosive .308 projectile is made by Speer. I hand load 30.06 with these 130 grain wide open jacketed hollow point bullets and they are a grenade on impact if ya gotta have some entertainment. No good for having vittles to eat!

I use Sierra bullets a lot and I have used the 110 grain you speak of in .308 out of the 30.06. It's fast but too fast for the rifling in most 30 calibers. I do like the Sierra quality and choices. Especially for my pet load 55 gr. PSP spitzer in the 22.250 and the 150 grain PSP in my deer loads for the 06. 130 grain PSP in 270 win. was good too for a friend of mine once.

You're right start pushing most of those lite bullets ya either want to play with the speed or you better have a slower barrel. I shoot alot of 69 and 168 mk. I use mostly sierra and nosler. I have tried them all though, mater of fact I have almost every brand in my bench.

If I were you with that .308 get yourself a box of remington cor-lokts see how they group.  I went out and bought expensive ammo (hornady, barnes, winchester supreme, nosler) for my .270 when I first bought it and the cheapo cor-lokts grouped sub MOA.  

I since started reloading with Superformance powder and nosler 130gr. hunting ballistic tips, magnum primers.  Cheaper and will reach out further.  Last season I shot my first deer with it at 355 yards.  The deer went 10 yards and piled.

Edited by Chas0218

Core-lokts in my .280 leave ragged holes.  Tried lots of others, nothing better in my rifle.  

Have never had to look very far for any whitetail I have shot with them either.  Took a 328# (dressed) Black Bear last year that the 140 grain bullet went through on a broadside shot and lodged against the hide on the other side. 

Edited by Miss em

I would also throw a good 20 rounds down the barrel before you consider which round is most accurate.  I had to actually break in my barrel before it would shoot like it does now.

Also DO NOT heat up the barrel you will wear it out quickly and cause deformation of the rifling. Take a couple guns with you to allow your new .308 to cool.

Sighted in the .308 today...Remington and Black Hills really flew like crap, but the Federal 168 grn hollow points were unreal. That savage is amazing. Big thanks goes out to everyone who pmed me or replied to this post..... First shot was slightly high and barely right. 2nd shot was thru the first hole( buddy watched hits thru the spot scope). 3rd shot was in the Bull. I will take that group all day long....

Sent from my VS920 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139783-14143692347859_thumb.jpg

Be sure to clean that gun really good at the end of the season or after you break in the barrel with some copper dissolving agent.  My buddy has a Savage 111 and he wants me to reload for him because his groups are maybe 2" at 100 yards and open up to 8" at 200. I have a feeling his barrel is fouled.  He was shooting winchester supremes and I guessing that plastic anti-fouling plating has fouled up his barrel badly.

Edited by Chas0218