Best Spoons in 2014?

Jammer

Well, this certainly was a "different" year for Salmon fishing in the big O!  Admittedly, every year is different, but 2014 felt "more different" than most.

Seemed to me (and most of the guys I talked to this year) that the kings often weren't in their usual places. 

For whatever the reason(s), from cold cold Lake Erie water in the west end this spring, to constantly shifting winds all summer, it was tough to find those kings and keep them going a lot of the time!

Nonetheless, when we did find em, there were (as always) some spoons that were better than others this year.

My best were:

Moonshine Crabface (both reg and mag)

Carlson Black/glow (reg)

Stingray Glow Wonderbread

photo.jpg

Less action with greens than normal here.

What worked best for you?

JAM

Edited by Jammer

One of our best spoons this season was a Luhr Jensen spoon with chrome tape.  It took fish on days we couldn't buy a hit with anything else.  We did good with purples and oranges also.  My biggest disappointments were Carbon 14 and King of Sting.

Custom Northport Nailer black face glow cup.  R&R Mag superlite Black Ice spooked up was good.  NK's with black face/white cup.  Got on a dark pattern early in the season and found black was the only consistent color scheme that worked the whole season.

Edited by Gill-T

At the top of my list were the following:

Pirate 28 - black with glow ladderback and white underside (Lake O)

Great Lakes 44 - purple and black with black underside (Fingers and Lake O)

Great Lakes 44 - silver with diagonal two tone green tape (Finger Lakes)

Great lakes Silver Soldier with diagonal silver prism tape and orange painted underside (Lake O and Finger Lakes)

Home made Sk8man spoon blue and silver (Finger Lakes)

Quick Strike 11 -  hammered silver (Finger Lakes)

post-145411-0-51953600-1414108384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

At the top of my list were the following:

Pirate 28 - black with glow ladderback (Lake O)

Great Lakes 44 - purple and black with black underside (Fingers and Lake O)

Great Lakes 44 - silver with diagonal two tone green tape (Finger Lakes)

Great lakes Silver Soldier with diagonal silver prism tape and orange painted underside (Lake O and Finger Lakes)

Home made Sk8man spoon blue and silver (Finger Lakes)

Quick Strike 11 -  hammered silver (Finger Lakes)

Thanks for the pics other wise its a different lingo, Unless you're a regular at it.

One of our best spoons this season was a Luhr Jensen spoon with chrome tape.  It took fish on days we couldn't buy a hit with anything else.  We did good with purples and oranges also.  My biggest disappointments were Carbon 14 and King of Sting.

Ditto. Those didn't seem to work for us either this year. I was pretty disappointed with those spoons this year.

The pattern that stood out from the rest for me this year was the Alewife pattern from FLT. I caught Kings, Steelhead,and Brownies on it. Bob painted up a Slasher that looks just like the spoon and it was smokin on staging kings with a glow or Mt. Dew Bait head.

The die hard spoons were excellent as well. SSW had its days , but the consistent producers were the Alewife and Die hards.

Stinger NBK and 42nd

Warrior 4" blue dolphin

Dreamweaver SS NBK, SS Halo NBK, and 42nd

Same here, with one difference. I found that a seasick wobbler added into this mix did most of the damage. Sometimes I put one scorpion into a presentation of mosty 42nths or magnums and the scorpion would do the work.