Gotta Vent..Am I wrong?

I own a camp in the southern tier.  We have a small amount of land,and butt up to 1200 acres of state land,which is designated a "state forest" that we bow hunt. Over the years they have marked trees for harvest,and usually in the summer cut them down. I understand why this is necessary. Today while in our stands a giant machine makes its way through the forest and starts clear cutting pines within 50 yards from us. Luckily I had a piece of orange fabric with me and began to wave it so he would stop,and we could get down from our trees. Needless to say our hunt was ruined. I approached the operator to ask how long he would be working this part of the woods. He stated "as long as it takes,and probably during gun season". I know this is a state forest,but do you guys think they should be allowed to harvest during deer season?. I contacted state forestry in bath and was told they are under contract so they can work all they want. Just frustrated,thanks for reading.......And didn't NYS just start a huge campaign to promote hunting and fishing?

That sucks big time ..had a similar situation in hanging bogg area on opening day of shotgun ...no.. Ny does not care about us hunters... As long as they make money,tbey are happy ...also on a side note ..why cant we hunt cou.ty forest..we,the taxpayers bought it for multiple purpose use ,,except hunting.......must be alot of people hiking i, November and December

I am lucky enough to have private land to hunt but I hunt state land a lot during bow season. There are thousands of untouched acres of great hunting land. Get on SLIM (state land interactive map)... find oak groves, you will be in deer. If you need a few good spots pm me. I spend a lot of time scouting, what area/county were you in?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I understand not everyone hunts...but how about from October to January no cutting on state land/forest that would make sense......I'd have to imagine if they leave their equipment or run it during the season it's not to safe....just another dumb move by our state

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I forgot to ad, after speaking with the operator he said "hey buddy if it wasn't for us doing this you wouldn't have a place to hunt because of the money the state gets from timber sales"  He then proceeded to tell me he lives in florida,and is just working for the contractor. I have the contractors name but don't feel its appropriate to post as he actually is in the boundaries of his contract with state. Nauti, thanks for the offer but like I said I have a camp right next to the land I hunt. I know this situation will pass, but for now, I gotta deal with it

That sucks big time ..had a similar situation in hanging bogg area on opening day of shotgun ...no.. Ny does not care about us hunters... As long as they make money,tbey are happy ...also on a side note ..why cant we hunt cou.ty forest..we,the taxpayers bought it for multiple purpose use ,,except hunting.......must be alot of people hiking i, November and December

We have land that borders up to county land which is all posted up tighter than a drum & we nor anyone can use this land! I agree we tax payers should be able to use it! What the hell is it for??

About 10 years ago I was hunting state game lands in Susquehanna county in pa. It was the first day of rifle season, cars parked everywhere and what appeared to be an orange coat behind every tree. The first day in Pa. is a big deal!

At around 8:00 am the woods come alive with the sound of chainsaws and heavy equipment. Skidders,

logging trucks, you name it, they were there. By 9:00 what appeared to be about fifty hunters congregate on the access road to complain. Game commission boys were there and said there was nothing they could do to stop it since again they were under contract. When asked why they didn't notify the public in advance so guys wouldn't show up there, they responded by telling us that they didn't know they were going to begin on that day. What a bunch of baloney!!

Data indicates that over 60 % of the bucks shot in Pa. Are killed on the first day. Needless to say there were a lot of very unhappy and unsuccessful hunters that first day.

I think the hunters who help support the Commissions deserve better than that as do you and your group.

That really does suck, but there is a silver lining. Hurricane Sandy basically "clear cur" every mature pine tree on the thousands of acres behind my house  (Watershed).   Two years ago this week it was. Today there is so much more young hardwood cover and its just got downright thick. i'm assuming just the added light penetration created much better cover. 

I get where your coming from, but hear me out. I work in the forest industry Many state timber sales in PA and NY are already restricted from harvesting during hunting seasons. Many private landowners restrict harvesting on their own properties so they can hunt with out disturbance. Many farmers restrict logging until they get their crops off. Then you have mud season/ break up in the spring most if not all harvesting stops. Anyway you see where this ends up. These guys are pretty limited on when they can harvest as it is. Not too mention they (the sawmill or logger) have paid for a lot of this timber in advance. So lets not ask the government to take any more rights away from hardworking taxpayers. I get that when its your hunting that is disturbed it stinks. Chances are you won't have to deal with this on that tract again any time soon. Not trying to stir the pot just offering another perspective. Good luck hunting!

I would rather they log Adirondak Park.  Plenty of room to spread out there and the habitat could use the browse for deer.  What is funny is that we are not allowed to use four-wheelers on state land (good idea I agree with), but huge logging equipment is?  Common sense would dictate the logging is done after hunting season.  The good news is your hunting spot in three years will be vastly improved with cover.