Using bait on stick baits.

Xxx

Don't know why, but I've never done well with Reef Runners on Erie. I pretty much stick with the 5" Renosky's or sometimes their chatterbait version. Like a lot or them, they need work right out of the box. The front hook gets thrown out, then the rear two get replaced. The originals are sticky sharp, but bend way too easily. Maybe I haven't given the Reef Runners a fair try.. but I'm a firm believer iin sticking with what's working. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Don't know why, but I've never done well with Reef Runners on Erie. I pretty much stick with the 5" Renosky's or sometimes their chatterbait version. Like a lot or them, they need work right out of the box. The front hook gets thrown out, then the rear two get replaced. The originals are sticky sharp, but bend way too easily. Maybe I haven't given the Reef Runners a fair try.. but I'm a firm believer iin sticking with what's working. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Reef Runners have a totally different action than the renoskys. RR have a tight woble as the renosky is wide. They do work as I run them but not as much as the other. Usually behind a dipsey

Back about 10 years ago, maybe longer, when I fished the walleye tournament trail when the bite was tough we would put the piece of worm on the front hook as well.  Sometimes it turned a bad day good and sometimes it did nothing.  First time it was showed to me I had to laugh as it just seemed stupid but it proved itself a few times over.  

Greg,

I love the bombers too all spring casting, but ive never caught a single fish of any kind trolling them! I will say i dont troll em in spring tho as Id rather cast then, but i ran them alot this summer side by side with reefs with all fish on the reef runners.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As I was browsing Great Lakes Fisherman, I came across the exact same lures I have with the metal bill, it was on a charet CAPT. Storm Warning || there are 3 walleye in the net and the green lure with red eyes with what appears to be a metal lipped lure, that's the lures I have. PAP

• 1 year later...

post-159773-0-14079200-1469819574_thumb.jpgI learned this trick many many years ago on Lake St. Clair. It has accounted for more walleye than all the other lures I use combined. It is a Helin flatfish model U-20 with the hooks removed and a crawler harness with beads attached to the rear eye. 

Now that looks deadly, thanks for posting. Might have to make me a few of those!!! Are those weedless hooks?

Edited by pap

Yes. I use the old  LS & sons crawler harness if you can find them.

Thanks, I will build my own, I usually use circle hooks but I might need to use a conventional hook for the weedless hooks.

Trolled a bomber tonight on the SLR and caught an eye on first pass...... RR was on opposite rigger and it popped almost same time..... I love bombers. They catch fish trolling. IMO

Edited by EsoxAC3

Trolled a bomber tonight on the SLR and caught an eye on first pass...... RR was on opposite rigger and it popped almost same time..... I love bombers. They catch fish trolling. IMO

I'll take a bomber over the RR any day !!! That's for sure. There're so versatile were the RR is mainly designed to be run as so..

I have caught quite a few fish on RR but they can be a real PITA at times with tuning issues. Never had a bomber not run true out of the box..... Had more than one RR that was un fishable out of the box[emoji35]

Edited by EsoxAC3

I'll take all of those terrible ReefRunners that you guys can't use! The ReefRunners DO need tuning, but really, it only takes about 5 seconds and it's worth the effort........and they're made in the USA!

attachicon.gifflatfish 001.JPGI learned this trick many many years ago on Lake St. Clair. It has accounted for more walleye than all the other lures I use combined. It is a Helin flatfish model U-20 with the hooks removed and a crawler harness with beads attached to the rear eye. 

Mr. Big

What speed and presentation do you find works best for this rig?   Thanks

Dennis,

This lure is very speed sensitive. If you try to troll too fast it will spin on you. It will only run about 1 foot deep so you will have to add weight to get it down. I like to use a 3 way swivel attached to a 4 foot leader of 10lb florocarbon.