The answer to the first part of your question is a definite YES! :)  I don't fish out of Mexico but it doesn't really matter because whether theFinger Lakes or Lake O the lakers are in shallow water in the early Spring and they can be fished successfully there nearly anywhere they exist.  Cowbells with peanuts or wobble trolls (spin n glows) are just the ticket usually. They also go for spoons or sticks and meat rigs especially.. Lakers are bottom oriented fish usually so fish them that way.  Flashers or spinneys and fly also work pretty well right through the summer months and into Fall but the lakers will move out deeper in late Spring. Find the bait and you will usually find the lakers nearby. Frequently they like slower trolling speeds than many of the other target species but I've also had them hit at near 3.0 so vary your trolling speed.

• 2 months later...

Early in the season, lakers are spread out over more depths than in summer.  Shoals and structure will hold more fish in the spring.  Slower speeds under 2.0 produce more and bigger fish when fishing cowbells and spin n glows or peanuts.  I run Hammerhead cowbells in 5/0.  Give Jim a call and he will hook you up with the right stuff. 

In April I start seeing them with regularity after the first little subtle drop in the bottom seen on your fishfinder. This depends port to port esp. if there is sand bottom but I would use 30' as my inside edge and 80' as my outside edge to target. In April, the 50' band of water holds a lot of fish. Typically, I catch them all over the water column at that time of year....from a 4-8 colors of leadcore to short copper, divers, riggers...everything. You may not need to dredge them off the bottom until May/June. As others have said, think 2 mph or slower. Pull off the trebles on your spoons and put a single hook on them or use a thin-gauge metal spoon that can troll down to that slow speed.