Glo bugs with spinning gear

DaveF

Use just enough split shot to feel your presentation ticking the rocks , if you do not hang up occasionally, your not fishing deep enough. With a fly rod, using a lob cast, your presentation is in the water a much greater amount of time, since there is no reeling in at the end of the drift then recasting, reeling in your slack etc.... Natural colored egg patterns this time of year, with salmon in the water column, are the ticket most days..

I use a 3-way rig, 8'-9' leader to the glow bug, 6" dropper line with either split shot or small bell sinker, or what also works good are the small round drop-shot weights. just bottom bounce the rig, I like power pro 10lb braid on my reel, the braid lets you feel everything.

Depends.

First make sure you have a rod suited for it.  The longer the better, 9' -12' depending on the water. If a smal trib 7' would work. Put your spin reel on a fly rod if you want to start.

For years  I used a spin rod. 8# main line to a small barrel swivel , then tippet in 6 0r 4 lb. You can take the  swiv & tie on , pull line down 90 deg & cut off at 3" for dropper & retie ,then tippet . Floats are best in most waters. If at large waters w/ no float enough wt. to tick  ,not drag bottom.

Small natural, finnese presentation. You want your float to drift down w. current like a piece off ice  not pulled down & across current.  Adjust float length to shot often  .Easy to use bugs that are to big. Match size color to water clarity &  flow. I'm partial to pale yellows w/ maybe some  pink or some white as the season goes on. Small plastic eggs can be KILLER  w/ this presentation.

Edited by Has Been