The aging hunter

chowder

Seems like forever since I posted on here during hunting season. It's probably got something to do with the fact that I've been  been a unapologetically 'meat hunter' for so long that I'm used to just ignoring other people in the hope that they will ignore me. In an average year I kill 5 or so deer on our 500 active ag acres, which with my sons contributions of another 4 to 7 go a long way towards feeding our clan. In general we target does, leaving the young bucks be, but often enough somebody gets a 3 year old + buck that is fairly impressive.

What I have noticed about my attitude as I age is that I truly love the season and yet I just don't crave getting a 'good' one anymore. Don't get me wrong, I arrowed a doe yesterday and felt great about getting it but I get more excited for the boys than I do myself. For me fall is the cyclical end of the growing season, a darkening of my spirit, a time of things closing in. As I get older the aging hunter in me sees not just the lives I have taken to sustain my family but the inevitable end of my life. For now though the aging hunter has conquered bad knees and less keen eyes, drawn an arrow and slain his prey and I feel a certain sense of well being. I hope you all have a great season. -Andy

Wow Andy,, great perspective. I'm not sure of your age, but I turned 53 on Friday and I could have written the exact post (less the 500 acres, I wish)! Bad knees n all, I am of the same feeling regarding killing deer, I can appreciate a wallhanger, but if I got one my wife would have to convince me to mount it. I certainly don't crave one. I enjoy the hunt, the scenery and serenity. I have a young son and I am enjoying introducing him to the outdoors first, killing second. Squirrel hunting the other day with him was like a Canadian whitetail hunt for me. I recall while hunting in my 20s n 30s it was a religion, nj,ny bow gun muzzloader, all out,all seasons all the time. Not so much any more.

Good to hear from you Andy. I will be up by Gray next week to get ready for a wallhanger! ! Lol

Edited by on the lam

I am 74 and have changed over the years. I enjoy being outdoors and watch the wild life come alive. I no longer do the tree stands, I like my feet on the ground. I use my ATV to get to my popup ground blind with a propane heater. I can make tea or hot chocolate while waiting for a buck or doe too pass my way. I as well do not hunt a wall hanger, but do have one on the wall. When I hunt with a new hunter and he bags a deer, I will process it with him or her at no charge. I am lucky to be able to hunt 150 acres that we post. Good and safe hunting Doug

Edited by potsie225

I'll be 24 in a few weeks. I feel as though I may have matured much faster than most hunters. Too fast sometimes I feel. I have a wall hanger; 13 points, probably scored 130, but I wouldn't know. I didn't have him scouted out, I was in the right place at the right time. I am just as satisfied with a butterball doe as I am with a mega buck, or a rag horn 6 for that matter. I enjoy having the privilege just to be out there, getting a deer is just a bonus. I won't lie; it gets frustrating not seeing deer sometimes, but then all I need to do is see some unfortunate person wheelchair bound for life an my perspective changes. Every day in the woods is a blessing, so enjoy the time out there.

Just got in from feeding cows, grabbed a 2cd cup of coffee and popped open LOU to find (no surprise) people like me. Pete, good to hear you are keeping that bunch of rabblerousers down in Greene under control (lol). I hope you all have a memorable weekend together! -Andy

P.S. youngest arrowed a big ol' yote yesterday

Andy,

I still have the desire to put the work in for a big deer or a big walleye, but find what really matters most to me is getting out with my family and good friends and getting them on deer or fish. My son just shot a little spike and before we went out that night he asked if he could shoot whatever he wanted. I asked why and he said he mostly wanted some fresh meat and was sick of buying it. I told him he can lay down anything he wanted. I found out he is a meathunter like i was raising kids...now i prefer a bit more challenge, but it will always be about the meat. I too feel the end of the growing season every year and i hate winter more and more.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey  Andy, When do you start getting those feelings? I'll turn 80 in the spring if I make it throught the winter. I still love my bow hunting and still put up my own stand, I just don't go as far into the woods as I used to.

I'll take a 90lb doe anytime over a wallhanger,those horns don't even make good soup.

I don't get excited over the kill that much anymore, I get excited when some one offers to drag it out for me, but I sure enjoy seeing the younger guys score,anyone I hunt with is younger, Ha Ha.

Nice going with the doe Andy. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Mike.

Great post Chowder. Absolutely love bowhunting but each year the all day tree stand vigils get tougher as the knees get stiffer. The camraderie aspect of deer camp or cutting a deer with friends gets better each year, however.

I love wallhangers as much as anyone but I would rather see my wheelchair-bound brother score on a deer than myself. I had the priviledge of taking a young relative of my wife on a walk in the Georgia mountains last Christmas, and seeing him with his pretend shotgun and wonderment of rubs and scrapes was as good as an actual hunt.   

Vince, the 'wonderment' of which you speak is what I think truly sustains most of us most of the time. Have an enjoyable season in the deer woods & perhaps we'll see you on the river. -Andy

I don't live in the catskills anymore, no more mountain climbing and walking 2 miles back into some thick Swamp in the hollow of a mountain top. I used to stay out there miles from my truck until 4:30 p and sometimes shoot whatever had horns on it just as the sun sat on the far ridge. Then drag and emerge from the woods to think the toil was over, alas to find another 500 yards across the fields to the truck...and its 9pm. No one worried to much about me, it was normal, and I was strong and younger than today. It was a challenge fulfilled to get that buck no matter what the rack was. I hated coming home empty handed.

Now I'm a flat lander, better for my heavier, not so able body as once. I had to get used to not walking like before into the woods for miles, because I'd walk right out the other side into another field! It took me a while to get used to western NY hunting. I used to never hunt from a stand cause in the mountains my stand was a rock, or ledge, or a bank above the down slope. Last year my knees gave me some trouble for the first time. I was glad to think about all the mountain climbing I don't do any more. Now if I'm out in the woods past dark, people who love me will get worried that something could be wrong and call someone to check on me. Never had that before, but 40 years later I understand their concerns a good bit better, but I still get a sense of nothing to worry about..As my mind fights the body for dominance!

Heck, now I even warn certain young deer passing my stand, not to go out in that field on the first day of gun season. ..that guy over in the hedge row will shoot you!..and feel better about that than getting that deer for the freezer...amazing what years have done. Hope I'm here to see my grandson emulate my younger days so I can keep the will to go out 20 years from now. Hunt safe my friends! Thank you Andy, for helping me realize I'm not the only one.. good luck to you and your family as you pursue life's relevance in the outdoors over the fruits of the chase.

Mark

Cent frum my notso smart fone