Thoughts on Rattling

JakeyBaby

Absolutely works, actually got a nice 8 pointer 2 seasons ago rattling, the thing that I found which is vital is the wind. You have to set yourself up in a win win situation, meaning if they can get behind you where your stand position is they will. Say good bye. But if you set up on a corner or a funnel where they have to stay in cover to come in, game on. I won't be in the woods next week with out the horns! Oh don't forget the grunt tube.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Rattling works but in my opinion a grunt tube will always be ten times more effective. Blind rattling hasn't been successful for me but I have had success rattling to a buck that didn't respond to a grunt call.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I started bowhunting in the late 80's it worked very well for me, but I havent had much luck with it since. I always figured that between a bad buck to doe ratio and over use rattling has become less effective. We used to cover lots of ground and make many sets a day and invariably ran into some bucks. We never ran into other bowhunters and there wasnt any posted land. Nowadays i only use rattling sparingly as i too have no confidence in it.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here in New York our buck to doe ratio is way out of balance. Although this year it seems a little better. Any one ever have luck rattling bucks in because it just plain out doesnt work for me!

Buck to doe ratio doesn't have to much to do with it. Problem is you need to have a couple bucks in the area with some age on them. At least 2.5 year olds. I've rattled in some good bucks early in the season. When they get locked down with a doe don't bother. The Set up with any type of calling is most important. If deer can see deep past your call set they will never come in. Put some thick stuff at your back and they will run you over.

I have never rattled, I have so much convidence in grunting and using 'the can' that I never felt the need to rattle. I can't count the number of bucks I have called in with 'the can' alone. I feel that call even more effective than grunting sometimes. I will say I have never been able to get a positive response from the snort/weeze.

Last week in October and the first week in November only.  You have to get them when they are at their peak of testosterone before the rut starts.  Only works for me in thick cover or areas WAY back away from human encroachment.  Most battles occur in the dark so If I am hunting a bedroom area that I know there is a buck within earshot, I will fire away right at shooting light.  My sequence is a loud challenge grunt--snort wheeze--loud aggressive rattling sequence lasting approx. 20 seconds-ending with a snort wheeze.........then put the antlers down and grab your bow quick because they usually come running in!

I find that rattling works good for the smaller bucks but when it comes to the big boys your more less giving away your position to them. This past weekend I smashed the antlers together and saw a 140" class 10 point come out only 50yrds away from me, it took him 45 mins to cover 20yrds towards me and by then it was too dark to shoot and he turned around and walked away since he didn't see where the sound was coming from. Like said in previous posts, a grunt tube is usually the ticket to get em to close the distance quick

Gill, you got it right, that feeling of when that buck comes crashing in right at first light, there's nothing like it. Bassmasters, I've given up rattling on a field, not sure if this was the set up with that 10pnt that didn't come in, but wanted to mention if you don't have a decoy, I think the field setup is against the odds when rattling. Sounds like if you had 15 min more you had a dead deer rattling.

Gill, you got it right, that feeling of when that buck comes crashing in right at first light, there's nothing like it. Bassmasters, I've given up rattling on a field, not sure if this was the set up with that 10pnt that didn't come in, but wanted to mention if you don't have a decoy, I think the field setup is against the odds when rattling. Sounds like if you had 15 min more you had a dead deer rattling.

I was set up in a strip of bush joining two major hardwood lots with beans on either side, I believe that the buck was already heading my way but I didn't see him before I started rattling, but like you said the decoy would most likely have done me good. It's a long walk to this spot tho which sucks for carrying a decoy out there since I'll already have my climber on my back...there's always next time right!

I have found rattling has worked best for me in bow season,have rattled a couple in in gun,works great with the snort wheeze and grunt in Missouri,but haven't had any luck with the snort wheeze in NY.good luck

I've never had much luck and I solely attribute that to the class of bucks in NY. A wise old timer once told me if you want to rattle you must sound like two deer that actually live on your property. Meaning if you only have 100" 8pts you don't want to sound like two 150" going at it as non dominate bucks won't investigate.....that being said I have done some light rattling with soft grunts and had smaller bucks check it out (southern tier spot with mostly scrub rack bucks) ...not sure if guys are split on that method or not but maybe worth a try before hanging up your rattle bag or antlers

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One thing that has come up as a huge question when learning about rattling is how hard or loud to do it.  Im not sure who I got this from but it was so long ago, but it was mentioned that when you see a fight actually happen in front of you youll know how to sound.  I have witnessed only 2 fights in my hunt career that I could actually see and hear.  Not sure if thats a lot compared to others but I can tell you, and they were not monsters, maybe 120-130 class, trees were up rooted and it wasnt soft, and both fights lasted >1-2 minutes with one I was able to harvest.  Both fights had yearlings appoach downwind with them spooking the doe that was in the area.  It would be interesting to hear of other experiences as it relates to rattling to keep the thread interesting.  I think its a cool topic.

My sequencing of calls mixed in with rattling is a function of hearing two bucks go at it near my stand.  Understand that the snort-wheeze mean F-you in deer language.  Before and after a fight (just like in a bar) there are F-bombs coming and going.  Start with light antler tickling like two bucks starting to come together, then let the antlers have it!  Lots of loud smash and grind.  Make it loud as not to mistaken for other sounds in the woods.  Don't bother in heavy winds so the antler sounds are not mixed and drowned out from tree branches clanking together in the wind.  Dead quiet wind is the best IMO.

Forget right on. I hunt Orleans co. We have 140- 160. That are taken every year. When you hear these deer fight It is much louder then you can rattle yourself. Start soft then aggressive. Also the size of antlers make a difference. I use a pair of 120. A lot can be said on this subject. Happy hunting guys. Later this week is going to get great.

After some more reserch The snort wheeze is for big mature whitetails and will spook smaller bucks away, that's why it works good in Missouri and not the areas I hunt, so not recommended unless you have big mature bucks in the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Giz9219

I called in a massive 10 pt last night with a little grunting and a snort wheeze. Came right down the ditch in the picture on a string right to me. Sad to say I took one of those straight down shots trying to fit one between the shoulder blades and just sliced him down the front right shoulder. Had to decide fast whether to shoot or let him walk right past and into the thicket. post-149813-14150492262866_thumb.jpg

Followed his blood this am just to be sure. Never laid down, never ran at all.

post-149813-14150493723081_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Here in New York our buck to doe ratio is way out of balance. Although this year it seems a little better. Any one ever have luck rattling bucks in because it just plain out doesnt work for me!

You and me both, I have tried on several occasions and in areas I knew there were some larger bucks and nothing!

Deer have individual personalities.  Similar to us there are fighters and non-fighters.  Every buck I have rattled in has had damage to it's rack from fighting.  Some of the largest bucks have learned to avoid confrontation and risk injury.  Like us sometimes they get so big they don't have to fight....just stand up and everyone gets out of the way.  You may just have non-fighters around.