Thoughts on Rattling

JakeyBaby

Rattled the buck on my profile in October 28th.  One of the biggest keys is dense cover.  If they hear something they want to see something or will lose interest.  They have to look harder in dense cover so they stay longer trying to locate the source of the noise.

I rattle in 6 to 12 bucks a year, generally during late October to 2nd week of November.  Have little success in early season or once they get locked down with does.  Don't be afraid to stay on the ground and make a lot of noise raking trees, stomping the ground and rustling leaves while cracking the antlers together.  A real buck fight doesn't just sound like banging antlers.  There's a ton of thrashing and limbs breaking.  Try it once or twice, you may be surprised at the outcome.

If hunting out of a stand, I like to pick a tree that has cover under it that deer cant see or walk through, maybe a blow down or brush pile, that way they aren't looking directly at the base of my tree, but more to the sides of me.  Less chance of getting busted that way.  It also funnels them to your sides rather than directly under you making for better shot opportunities.

I will clip a sapling of either beech or oak because they are still retaining noisy leaves.  Once I am situated with bow, I hook up my bow string to the branch at base of the tree and wiggle it with my foot as I rattle to add realism.  I suppose I look like a one-man-band up there a clankin and a stompin'.

• 2 weeks later...