Fair Haven SALMON Sat April 19th!!

We had a LONG day on the water today...fished 5:30am till 7:30pm with a quick lunch break in between trips. We took browns, steelies, cohos, some killer smallmouth bass (that we put back to fight another day) and a Shark today. Yep, we caught our first real King of the season today, and it came as part of a crazy 3lb coho, 7lb brown, and 12 lb. King triple to end our day! What a Chinese Firedrill that was, and what a great fight on light line. Long leads, fluorocarbon, and the #47 KA-BOOM were the ticket for us today. We also took quite a few fish on an R&R Goby looking spoon fished off of both the riggers and the planers. We took quite a few of our fish right off the bottom with Goby presentations. Conditions were very tough with no color and no temp to speak of. We worked really hard for what we got today, but our persistence paid off. Here's some of the larger fish of the day. Most everything else was cookie-cutter size.

HamburyZaukauskas008-1.jpg

HamburyZaukauskas024-1.jpg

HamburyZaukauskas030.jpg

We were also part of the parade of boats at Fair Haven on Saturday

we went 1 for 4 1 7.5 lb Brown that looked like a pincushion for lampreys.

1 that took of for Canada, no turning or slowing him down just kept going.

Stopped by the DEC on the way in to check and sample fish, the said there were alot of empty boxes.

We only fished till 11 or 11:30 then headed south to Cayuga, 4 for 5 in

2 1/2 hrs in the afternoon sun.

Splitshot115

Great day Bill!! Real nice pics! We finally got the boat wet Sunday around 3pm. There were more little things to get ready than I thought! First trip ever out of Fair Haven, the park was real nice, liked it alot!

The boat did great on her shake down cruise. The fishing however, was not so good for me, and it is with great shame I must admit to my first skunk in a long time :$ :shock: . Being it was Sunday afternoon, there were no other boats to speak of, so I headed west and fished 7-30 ft with only one hit of the board (silver/black smithwick).

I had the two small kids, wife & dog so it was hard to really focus on fishing. I probably fished to high, but fishing unfamiliar waters and so close to shore with so much going on in the boat I was afraid of getting hung up and loosing gear.

GREAT to get out on the lake again!!!

Fishtails,

Great to hear you got the Sea Ray wet. Sunday was tough, the Play Penn was also black & white and stunk all over. I wanted to get my driver (Doug) used to working speed off the DR up and down a few 10ths at a time so we hit Cayuga in the PM.

Will do a few more 1/2 Day trips before the LOC on the west end. I'll have my a crew in Olcott fishing May 8, 9, 10 and maybe the 11th AM depending on weather. Let me know when you plan any other trips.

Rod,

Glad you liked the park. I take my kids over there a lot during the summer to swim and we really like it too. I think it's one of the nicest parks on the entire lake.

Give the fishing out of Fair Haven another chance though...this weather pattern has really put a hurtin' on most everyone so far this season. Typically at this time of year we're just beating on the browns...but then again it's typically rainy, windy and cold at this time of year!

We are looking into booking a trip or two at the park this summer Bill. There is so much for the kids to do. I just need to learn the water and get the kids on some fish next time. Maybe I need to put a couple spinning rods on the boat....they would have been happy catching just about anything.

Greg,

I won't be getting out again till our west trip on the 1st. We will be out there on the 8, 9 & 10 also, so give me a call on my cell. We will be docked in Wilson.

fishtails,

not sure if you have a smaller boat or not but the sterling creek is home to some excellent bass and northern fishing if the lake is to rough to fish. Its very easy to access from the park as well. That is another good way to keep the kids happy.